• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SteveMc

Reaction score
Re: jeans - I have two pairs of the 100% cotton, non-stretch from the original jeans run. I also have one pair of the high rise stretch from the first run of those.

All of my Spier pants are 32 contemporary and I have generally felt that the sizing is consistent (in a relative sense -
Ie proportions are generally similar). The stretch denim are the sole exception. The rise is quite good on them, but the leg is noticeably narrower throughout. They have the heinous “skinny leg” effect on my silhouette. My other jeans, chinos, and trousers generally do not do this.

I really hope this is not indicative of a general attempt by Spier to make their denim skinny across the board. Does anyone think that is a good look these days?

Just when I thought giving the high-rise stretch denim another go...:confused2:

Ortip

Reaction score
Spier just put brushed Shetlands into fall preview - have they offered these before? I didn't find any reference to them on this site, but I'm gonna try my luck at a yellow one when they're released.

JTrent82

Reaction score
Spier just put brushed Shetlands into fall preview - have they offered these before? I didn't find any reference to them on this site, but I'm gonna try my luck at a yellow one when they're released.
They released Shetlands last year but they weren't advertised as brushed. They were good quality and inexpensive.

Dorian_Gray

Reaction score
Just when I thought giving the high-rise stretch denim another go...:confused2:
Ya - not to harp on this, but I feel like the fabric is of a noticeably lower quality. I think the non-stretch denim are really, really good for their price point. The stretch feel like mall brand. This is coming from someone who really wanted to like them. :( sorry

SteveMc

Reaction score
Levis 501 93 if you want a higher rise than the waist just purchase a size bigger and take the waist in. I wear them for work and they work for me.

That was my next comment, why on earth they cannot make it like the Levi's 501 93?
I regret getting rid of my Levi's 501, which was actually bought in 93...

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was my next comment, why on earth they cannot make it like the Levi's 501 93?
I regret getting rid of my Levi's 501, which was actually bought in 93...
I like what Rick has done with the brand but when a brand tries too many things outside the box or in this case non tailored clothing some of these items can be a hit and mix. Levi’s are denim folks for decades yes the brand is not the same but even the factory in china that I use for made to measure sticks to tailored clothing. Spier does many things right just not all of them. This is the case with many of the rack brands. The stretch in denim or many fabrics is not for me.

Cause Moe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, new here. So I’m looking at this jacket on Spier’s website at the following blazer:

When I move it to my cart, the price drops substantially. Do we think this is intentional or is this a mistake?

Thanks all.
Consider yourself lucky. When I move a pair of trousers to the cart (or if they get moved to the cart all by themselves, which happens), sometimes the fabric description changes, or sometimes the size.

Last edited:

carterjones

Reaction score
Looks like my newest jacket came without a lapel buttonhole for some reason, not sure how they could have forgotten to put this in. The front has the Milanese stitching, but the back looks like smooth, continuous fabric, despite even having a loop to hold a lapel flower. I'm rather confused by this and was wondering if I could have this added easily/cheaply by a local tailor or if this is not fixable. Does anybody know or have any thoughts? I will put images of the one I'm talking about along with the one I received before that seems correct.

Attachments

• IMG_3370.jpg
    IMG_3370.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_3372.jpg
    IMG_3372.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 156

Dorian_Gray

Reaction score
Looks like my newest jacket came without a lapel buttonhole for some reason, not sure how they could have forgotten to put this in. The front has the Milanese stitching, but the back looks like smooth, continuous fabric, despite even having a loop to hold a lapel flower. I'm rather confused by this and was wondering if I could have this added easily/cheaply by a local tailor or if this is not fixable. Does anybody know or have any thoughts? I will put images of the one I'm talking about along with the one I received before that seems correct.
Firstly, that sucks and I’m sorry. I think some local tailors may offer to add the B/h. Results may vary. I doubt you can get one hand-sewn in Milanese. If a tailor has a machine that adds the hole, they may do that.

If you want to send it back, I don’t see how SM would gripe. This is a dumb error. I had a sleeve attachment issue once (received spalla when wanted roped) and they fixed with no questions asked.

Otherwise, a curiosity: I always add a boutonnière loop in the notes to my orders. Have they been adding these as standard, regardless? Seems like such a quirky thing to do standard.

carterjones

Reaction score
Firstly, that sucks and I’m sorry. I think some local tailors may offer to add the B/h. Results may vary. I doubt you can get one hand-sewn in Milanese. If a tailor has a machine that adds the hole, they may do that.

If you want to send it back, I don’t see how SM would gripe. This is a dumb error. I had a sleeve attachment issue once (received spalla when wanted roped) and they fixed with no questions asked.

Otherwise, a curiosity: I always add a boutonnière loop in the notes to my orders. Have they been adding these as standard, regardless? Seems like such a quirky thing to do standard.
Thank you for the information, I will contact them for an update. As to your question, I have never specifically requested the loop and they have been included every time I have requested a Milanese buttonhole in the notes when ordering the full canvas upgrade.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads