• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Not a dead giveaway from the photo, but the cloth looks rather slick.

That one does look intriguing. And, bloody hell, was super excited (and I don't love VBC tropical weight stuff) to see the grey high twist...but the gotdamn patch pockets!

As ever, I am just fascinated to know the thinking behind some of these styling choices. That one seems...not at all patchy? And then the DB (with the fairly beefy flap pockets + ticket pocket) seems a good candidate for the Milanese lapel treatment.

Alas.

I'll wait till they post the adcopy for each one before pulling any triggers. It's kind of odd that the taupe DB suit has flap pockets yet the soft shoulder they typically use for patch pocket SCs, but in this case it might work, in a, "Hrmmm this isn't really a suit...OR IS IT???" kinda way. Probably appropriate to wear with Gucci sneakers, Lacoste tee, and Invicta hockey puck watch to go tell people in Miami about NFTs and roll around town in your leased Hummer H2, license plate QATAR43. Throw in a "do you know who my father is?" every now and again, and tell stories on repeat of things like that time you and Iryna Shayk totally almost banged. Basically my idea of a fun Thursday afternoon. Toki® shots to follow.

The Drago suits might be good to wear as spring/summer separates?

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another recent custom shirt, this is the C23 large Italian button down collar. Fabric is a mid weight Oxford (not as heavy as the usual ‘premium’ oxfords), buttons are MOP.

8E4EC476-DA84-434C-9BCF-26B129ABF71F.jpeg
A0803E37-D541-4525-887C-AB3FF9381543.jpeg
3F232378-9892-4E6F-A3BF-4206B4240B0F.jpeg

tyfighter

Reaction score
My wedding's coming up in June, and I'm looking for a outfit for the rehearsal dinner. It's outside in a forested area and fairly casual. This suit caught my eye on the spier and mackay site, and I had a couple of questions.
1. How high are high rise trousers at Spier and Mackay? I have one of their standard suits, and it looks like the rise difference is only ~0.5 inch for the high rise based on the sizing chart.
2. I'm seeing some things about Fox Air being scratchy. Does anyone have personal experience?
3. Could this suit be broken into separates?

Thanks!

1680647629535.png

jm22

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting in this thread and I was hoping to get some advice sifting through S&M's chinos offerings (I tried reading older posts but the info seems scattered). I recently bought a pair of slim stretch chinos (code ending in “cn-01-s22) and I liked them, but I bought a pair of garment dyed chinos (also from ss22) and I found the material to be pretty poor quality. That said, I see that they have some chinos that are from fw21 and some that are made with Egyptian cotton, some that have a hign rise, so I hope to get some observations that might help steer me in the right direction. Also would appreciate any thoughts on S&M's oxford shirts (how's the material on the lightweight ones?).

Thanks in advance!

lemur

Reaction score
Agree with someone else who said this is not a padding issue. I think the horizontal lines in the upper back are due to fabric tension between prominent shoulder blades. The solution is not to let out the center seam in the upper back—this will just lead to those lines sagging. Chris Despos has written about this in the tailoring feedback thread and I think there needs to be more cloth over the shoulder blades. It is not a very straightforward alteration from what I understand of it.
Thanks for the feedback. I searched for "shoulder blades" in the tailors' thread and did find a bunch pictures of the same problem and Despos's comments. It seems like it isn't a straightforward fix, and I have had jackets fit better off the rack before, so I think I'll send it back and try to find something that will need less alteration.
Have you tried the non-neo suits? I think the neo cut jackets have slightly wider shoulders with a bit more room in the upper back. If you're worried about going down a full size, it might be worthy exchanging for one of the non-neo models to see if it fits cleaner in the upper back.
I think I'll do this, in retrospect I should have just ordered one of each and sent one back

JTrent82

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting in this thread and I was hoping to get some advice sifting through S&M's chinos offerings (I tried reading older posts but the info seems scattered). I recently bought a pair of slim stretch chinos (code ending in “cn-01-s22) and I liked them, but I bought a pair of garment dyed chinos (also from ss22) and I found the material to be pretty poor quality. That said, I see that they have some chinos that are from fw21 and some that are made with Egyptian cotton, some that have a hign rise, so I hope to get some observations that might help steer me in the right direction. Also would appreciate any thoughts on S&M's oxford shirts (how's the material on the lightweight ones?).

Thanks in advance!
Their chinos are wildly inconsistent season to season. Those garment-dyed from SS22 were bad. The current batch is good except the interior waistband buttons which need reinforced. I really like the cut of their high rise contemporary chinos in general, I just wish they would choose a good fabric to stick with, and improve the QC for threads and buttons etc. The lightweight OCBDs are tops though. Some of my favorite oxfords ever.

sydneycider

Reaction score
My wedding's coming up in June, and I'm looking for a outfit for the rehearsal dinner. It's outside in a forested area and fairly casual. This suit caught my eye on the spier and mackay site, and I had a couple of questions.
1. How high are high rise trousers at Spier and Mackay? I have one of their standard suits, and it looks like the rise difference is only ~0.5 inch for the high rise based on the sizing chart.
2. I'm seeing some things about Fox Air being scratchy. Does anyone have personal experience?

Thanks!

View attachment 1933077
1 - Their high-rise trousers are always about an inch higher than the regular ones. For me anyway, they fall about a finger space below my belly button.

3 - Yes, but I wouldn't say it's super versatile. High-twist wools look better as a suit, but you could probably wear this with some cotton trousers or another pair of odd wool trousers that were of a different enough material.

SteveMc

Reaction score

Thanks!

View attachment 1933077
I had my eye on it too. Unless you're 38 long contemporary it's completely sold out...

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m going to try one of the new knit polos. Can’t decide between the silk and the linen blend for comfort, coolness and care. Any thoughts?

A12321

Reaction score

Thanks in advance!
I'll just chime in on oxford/button down shirts. They're sizing is very off. I read that many times on the forum but never believed it until I tried it myself. Imagine being in between sizes on a shirt? Yep that's me. Seems that shirts are not really their strong suit.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll just chime in on oxford/button down shirts. They're sizing is very off. I read that many times on the forum but never believed it until I tried it myself. Imagine being in between sizes on a shirt? Yep that's me. Seems that shirts are not really their strong suit.

I think the issue is that their neck sizing doesn’t equate with the rest of the measurements. If I want a shirt that fits in the neck, I have to accept that even ESF will be blousy. Or I can get a shirt that fits well in the body and is tight in the neck. I don’t think I have an unusually large neck as I don’t have this issue in other brands.

Fine for open collar shirts though.

A12321

Reaction score
I think the issue is that their neck sizing doesn’t equate with the rest of the measurements. If I want a shirt that fits in the neck, I have to accept that even ESF will be blousy. Or I can get a shirt that fits well in the body and is tight in the neck. I don’t think I have an unusually large neck as I don’t have this issue in other brands.

Fine for open collar shirts though.
Yes but I actually have it a bit differently. The neck fits perfectly while everything else is too tight. The neck sizes do not equate proportionally to the rest of the body of the shirt. If I accept 0.5 size higher, then the body is now fine but the neck is too large. I don't have this problem with any other shirt company which is really strange. I wear a 14.5 neck in every brand and the SM Neo Cut 38 Slim fits me perfectly. If I go to a 15 neck in SM, then the neck is too large.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mostly enjoy their shirts. I only have a handful. Their linen BD shirt fit a size or two bigger so I threw it in the dryer and now it fits okay. The arms are still a bit long but since I will only wear it on vacation, I will just roll the sleeves up a bit. I know linen is supposed to be loose-fitting but I looked like a kid wearing my dad's shirt

Their regular OCBD the heavy one fits great except in the body, it's slightly boxy but I think it will shrink a little more once I wash it a few more times. I've probably worn it 3 times.

Their purple label Italian BD and denim purple label Italian BD fit damn near perfectly for me.

I do wish they bring out more lightweight OCBD as the regular-weight ones are just too heavy for summer

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@DonRaphael
1680731278702.jpeg
1680731305741.jpeg

1680731320941.jpeg

Side-by-side of the navy fresco and high-twist Neo suits. On the left is the Hardy Minnis from ‘21. On the right is the Clissold JH high-twist fabric. The right seems to be a darker shade of navy, and has a better lapel roll, both of which I appreciate.

Fabric label of Hardy Minnis for comparison:
1680731824195.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads