• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which fabric did you get last year? I chose the VBC based on DonRaphael's recommendation, and I can't say what it is like compared to any other flannel besides the Brooks Brothers golden fleece charcoal flannel suit I thrifted around the same time as they're my first flannel trousers, but they're very soft. Incredibly comfy to wear and look good to boot.
The Minnis is even softer. But it also won't retain its shape as well as the VBC as a result of that. Unless you have time to iron the trousers after each wear (literally), I'd recommend the VBC over the Minnis since the VBC don't require as much ironing.

But as I've said before, I'm probably in a minority regarding this. The Minnis flannel is one of the most reputable cloths out there and is a classic flannel looking/feeling fabric. The VBC is a hybrid worsted/woolen, which is the reason it manages to hold its shape more effectively.

Rafsan

Reaction score
I thought I remember seeing mentioned on here that SM would be doing VBC chocolate flannel from a year or so ago ,again this season…anyone know anything about that?

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a reason to pay full price: FOMO. I don't pay full price ever from bigger retailers like Banana Republic because I know the stock will likely still be there when the sale rolls around. Not so with S&M.

Last time I really wanted something from Spier, I ordered as soon as it was available and paid full price. The item was gone not long afterward.

hysteria

Reaction score
The Minnis is even softer. But it also won't retain its shape as well as the VBC as a result of that. Unless you have time to iron the trousers after each wear (literally), I'd recommend the VBC over the Minnis since the VBC don't require as much ironing.

But as I've said before, I'm probably in a minority regarding this. The Minnis flannel is one of the most reputable cloths out there and is a classic flannel looking/feeling fabric. The VBC is a hybrid worsted/woolen, which is the reason it manages to hold its shape more effectively.

Looks like the VBCs are not being offered in high-rise right? Just flat front? Unless I'm missing something.
I've worn flat front for years, then got accustomed to single pleat high-rises in the last year, and now going back to flat fronts feels odd. It feels like the crease has nowhere to go when it reaches the hip. I'm not sure how to feel about it now .

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like the VBCs are not being offered in high-rise right? Just flat front? Unless I'm missing something.
I've worn flat front for years, then got accustomed to single pleat high-rises in the last year, and now going back to flat fronts feels odd. It feels like the crease has nowhere to go when it reaches the hip. I'm not sure how to feel about it now .
Not sure, tbh. I haven't checked. Mine are MTOs. But I agree regarding pleats.

pmestrad

Reaction score
Hey all, anyone able to comment on the quality of the suede trucker? I have not seen it posted anywhere. Thanks!

Rhodia

Reaction score

This is (generally) correct. HR are Minnis and flat front are VBC. A couple of exceptions: the dark brown flannel is also available in HR VBC, as is the light brown houndstooth (which is only 270 grams).

(Note: the HR VBC flannel in "dark brown" seems to have red/orange undertones to it. But the FF is in "chocolate brown" and the color is notably different...almost a gray-blue undertone. Both of these are 340 grams.)

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last time I really wanted something from Spier, I ordered as soon as it was available and paid full price. The item was gone not long afterward.
Always a gamble. I can say the things I've paid full price on I've not regretted at all. Most everything I've missed on sale (some really neat pieces, no doubt) are ones I don't feel any strong pang of regret not having. Currently eyeing a few suits and SCs that fit that bill.
Not an SM knock. It's just that much of their tailoring of late hasn't REALLY grabbed me.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone have pics of the deep V sweater being worn? I’m wondering how boxy it looks irl.

Edit: also, I haven’t bought S&M knitwear for 5 years. Is the sizing still off? I’m a 38 and 15.5 extra slim and usually wear a slim medium in most outerwear, but wore Large in knitwear and even that was very very slim.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads