• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SuaveStyle

Reaction score
Awesome, thank you. It looks great on you. It's much less flashy and bold looking compared to the product shots. I chose the same size as my SC fit so hopefully not too scrunched. It seems like it should be quite warm at ~640g weight, do you agree?
Thanks! Yeah I find it’s not too flashy and cooler in tone, but still separates itself well from other coats with the large herringbone pattern. I’ve gotten a lot of compliments on it. It’s fairly warm, I’ve worn into the low 30’s high 20’sF with either a sport coat or heavy sweater with a scarf comfortably. I lean to my polo coat if it’s getting cooler than that though.

I personally have not had any QC issues myself. I own a lot of SC’s and outerwear by them, some suits, and they all have held up well; although, I do not dress up on a daily basis. I have avoided their non-suiting options like knitwear just bc of other ppl’s experience on here being variable, and I already have companies that I really like for those things.

JTrent82

Reaction score
This is a mistake, right? An M&E jacket for $300? 🧐
1667001515681.png

Imperatores

Reaction score
Idk who needs to hear this, but a duffel coat for $378 CDN + 20% off is highway robbery. If I didn't already have a duffel coat, I would have had to buy it (https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/zanieri---dark-navy-donegal--10400-611626-dufl-fw21)

I'm very tempted. Does anyone have any sizing experiences to share? The chart leads me to believe I should size down for a good chest and shoulder fit, but I worry about sleeve width and armholes. I prefer roomier sleeves to accommodate layering. Has anyone posted any fit pics with it?

Last edited:

Jlee80

Reaction score
Has anyone else had severe quality issues with S&M? I started buying their stuff in 2019 and have since had so many issues with tearing/holes, that I think I'm done with the brand. I can post pictures for reference, but of all the things I've ordered (10ish shirts, outerwear, a couple of pairs of pants, shorts, 10 sweaters or so, 2 sportcoats sweatpants, etc.) I have had:
  • the bottom button-hole on two shirts tear (as in the button now goes through the bottom seam and the shirt fabric, instead of in between the buttonhole as it should)
  • side seam split on chinos, right below where the pocket begins (less than a year of wear)
  • shirt buttons fall off
  • pants and shorts buttons come extremely loose after one or two wears
  • fraying of pant button hole after one wash (no dryer, cold water)
  • a large hole where the back sweatpants pocket is attached (less than a year of wear)
  • entire merino crewneck sweater collar tore off
So far my sportcoats have held up, but otherwise, I've had an issue at least one time with every other type of garment. And again, none of these things are more than 3 years old and none have been worn extensively.

I fell in love with the brand originally because of its value/quality, but maybe I was mistaking hard-to-find details (nice collar roll, thick MOP buttons, etc.) for quality. I've almost never worn out clothes before, with the exception of like Gap and American Eagle stuff in high school. Even my J.Crew stuff from like 2014 is holding up better. Has anyone else experienced this?
I have Spier Mackay suits, ties,dress shirts and an overcoat. The quality of my items have been great, no issues here. My only QC issue has been sizing inconsistency, which I’m hoping will start to get back to 2018-2019 levels here soon.

chiggyv

Reaction score
Has anyone else had severe quality issues with S&M? I started buying their stuff in 2019 and have since had so many issues with tearing/holes, that I think I'm done with the brand. I can post pictures for reference, but of all the things I've ordered (10ish shirts, outerwear, a couple of pairs of pants, shorts, 10 sweaters or so, 2 sportcoats sweatpants, etc.) I have had:
  • the bottom button-hole on two shirts tear (as in the button now goes through the bottom seam and the shirt fabric, instead of in between the buttonhole as it should)
  • side seam split on chinos, right below where the pocket begins (less than a year of wear)
  • shirt buttons fall off
  • a large hole where the back sweatpants pocket is attached (less than a year of wear)
So far my sportcoats have held up, but otherwise, I've had an issue at least one time with every other type of garment. And again, none of these things are more than 3 years old and none have been worn extensively.

I fell in love with the brand originally because of its value/quality, but maybe I was mistaking hard-to-find details (nice collar roll, thick MOP buttons, etc.) for quality. I've almost never worn out clothes before, with the exception of like Gap and American Eagle stuff in high school. Even my J.Crew stuff from like 2014 is holding up better. Has anyone else experienced this?

I've experienced many of those same issues.

While it is frustrating, in my mind a mall brand item would wear out just as fast and wouldn't have the details and fabrics we all enjoy.

The real problem for me is I can't readily replace worn items due to stock issues. That's the point at which I started to accept that the mall brands would have to do.

ULCajun

Reaction score
  • shirt buttons fall off

Suits and sportscoats are their bread and butter. Anything else is meh

pyunghwa

Reaction score
I've experienced many of those same issues.

While it is frustrating, in my mind a mall brand item would wear out just as fast and wouldn't have the details and fabrics we all enjoy.

The real problem for me is I can't readily replace worn items due to stock issues. That's the point at which I started to accept that the mall brands would have to do.

I find their suits, sportcoats, formal trousers and overcoats to be incredible quality for the money. Have had no issue with them whatsoever.

But I feel their shirts and sweaters are definitely lower on the quality-scale. I have experienced the issue with the bottom button hole on only one of my shirts, but definitely significant shrinking. I have a few sweaters from S&M and all of them had buttons come undone within 1-2 wears. I haven't experienced this at all big-box companies like Gap, Old Navy, JCrew, etc.

I recall Rikky or someone from the team mentioning it was the thread provider that was causing the issues and have since been resolved. But to do be honest I've never bought another merino sweater or cardigan from them again.

I'm guessing it's very difficult to find that sweet spot between quality, cost and speed of service. And each of us prioritize one of these more highly than the other. We've all seen that diagram where it's impossible to have excellent quality, cheap costs and speed of service - you can have two of the three tops.

I'm sure S&M would be more than happy to replace these items if I asked (they've already done so a couple of times), but at some point you can't be bothered with the hassle of shipping and returns.

So to summarize, have never been disappointed with suits, SCs, overcoats and somewhat with the formal trousers. With their shirts and sweaters, a lot of nice details are their that would be hard/impossible to find in the same price point but the finishing can be a hit or miss. But I guess with a number of other retailers now entering that space, it's an opportunity to respond to these areas of improvement.

Jlee80

Reaction score
I know most of you don’t do it, but I always have my dress shirts laundered at the cleaners (no starch) of course. I don’t know if it helps, but I’ve never had an issue or shirts shrinking by taking them there.

Evacipator

Reaction score
I'm very tempted. Does anyone have any sizing experiences to share? The chart leads me to believe I should size down for a good chest and shoulder fit, but I worry about sleeve width and armholes. I prefer roomier sleeves to accommodate layering. Has anyone posted any fit pics with it?

I don't have mine with me for a fit pic, but I'm very happy having taken the same size as my SC size. I take a 38S contemporary sports coat (likely would measure more like a 37 if I was going custom. I've had the shoulders taken in slightly on some 38 jackets to good effect). The fit of the 38 duffle feels reasonably relaxed on me, but appropriately so for the kind of coat it is. I think it ought to be more relaxed than a more structured, formal overcoat. The fabric is also impressively substantial, which I think suits the structure when treating it as true to size, and might prove to feel a little oppressive if sizing down. YMMV of course, and it might depend on what you plan to layer under it (e.g. simple crew or v-neck sweaters versus a cable knit), but overall I'd recommend trying your usual size. I've worn mine numerous times now, and I've never had cause to consider that I should have taken any other size.

jtsc88

Reaction score
I don't have mine with me for a fit pic, but I'm very happy having taken the same size as my SC size. I take a 38S contemporary sports coat (likely would measure more like a 37 if I was going custom. I've had the shoulders taken in slightly on some 38 jackets to good effect). The fit of the 38 duffle feels reasonably relaxed on me, but appropriately so for the kind of coat it is. I think it ought to be more relaxed than a more structured, formal overcoat. The fabric is also impressively substantial, which I think suits the structure when treating it as true to size, and might prove to feel a little oppressive if sizing down. YMMV of course, and it might depend on what you plan to layer under it (e.g. simple crew or v-neck sweaters versus a cable knit), but overall I'd recommend trying your usual size. I've worn mine numerous times now, and I've never had cause to consider that I should have taken any other size.

Is the sleeve length on the size 38 duffle OK still for you compared to a 38S sportcoat?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads