• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SuaveStyle

Reaction score
I just received the Moon brown and red gun check field jacket. I’m happy to report that despite what the website says, the sleeves are lined on this model. The sleeves and body seem a little bit longer as well, which I felt my last season version was borderline too short.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Just got the Harris Tweed sport coat in the mail and I think I’m in love. The weight is incredible it’s very soft and heavy enough for a great drape. I got the 38L when I usually wear a 40slim (though what I really want is a 40L slim but alas…).

Looks good. I keep thinking about getting it, but functionally it's quite similar to the harris tweed guncheck.

jake2011rt

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I have to agree. I've only checked their site and this thread a few times this year. The sizing on OTR stuff is too inconsistent and IMO simply too small in many cases--I'm a Large at say J. Crew but own some XXL stuff from Spier--and I've gone elsewhere for MTM shirts. I bought a couple of pants (5-pocket cords and some chinos) and I had a belt loop tear loose on both. I've had buttons fall off of OCBDs less than a year after purchasing. It's up in the air as to whether I'll make another purchase at some point; maybe if they have an MTM shirting fabric that I can't find elsewhere.
The sizing is the biggest issue in my opinion. While I can understand their emphasis on avoiding vanity sizing for numbered/measurement-based sizes, I think that there's not much excuse for XXLs to fit like Ls from most other companies. I am a bigger guy, so this has totally eliminated any chance that I will purchase from them outside of a massive sale. It is too risky.

Blondie87

Reaction score
Am I the only one who likes regular rise, belt loop trousers?!? A lot of nice winter dress trousers but all high rise side tabbed ones… i’ll have to be patient I guess and hope they come out later this season

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who likes regular rise, belt loop trousers?!? A lot of nice winter dress trousers but all high rise side tabbed ones… i’ll have to be patient I guess and hope they come out later this season
If I had to guess, this is likely due to their demographic after Covid. I want to say most people that are buying the dress trouser separates are more into classic menswear, such as SF members, who tend to sway towards high rise side tabs.

If I had to choose, I would want regular rise with side tabs as side tabs are better in every way for me, but that’s due to high rise not quite fitting my silhouette best

cale.robertson

Reaction score
All Spier Mackay for what I like to call my “Professor Indiana Jones” look. Charcoal high rise flannels, ‘vintage’ white OCBD, and the antique grey herringbone jacket. Really getting a lot of use out of this sportcoat… super versatile.
6FC6EAA1-44EE-4BD9-9952-52795A13F62B.jpeg

carterneeld

Reaction score
All Spier Mackay for what I like to call my “Professor Indiana Jones” look. Charcoal high rise flannels, ‘vintage’ white OCBD, and the antique grey herringbone jacket. Really getting a lot of use out of this sportcoat… super versatile.
View attachment 1848865

Jacket looks great. Is that the new one from this fall? Someone had mentioned it feels light, but it seems substantial in this photo.

cale.robertson

Reaction score
Jacket looks great. Is that the new one from this fall? Someone had mentioned it feels light, but it seems substantial in this photo.
Yes, this fall’s version.
It’s not my heaviest sportcoat but I certainly wouldn’t call it lightweight. I think it’s about perfect - Any heavier and I’d want to take it off indoors. Any lighter and I’d want another layer when the temps dip.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads