• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jrdngr

Reaction score
Hello! Maybe I can help as you've touched on a few of my favorite things: PoW suits, 3-piece suits, and DB jackets......

Wow, this helps immensely, thank you so much!

I really do prefer the look of the DB in the POW so I may head that direction. I was curious about the visibility of the waistcoat so maybe to make things simple I could skip that if I went DB. I'm in agreement on the ticket pocket/flaps as well. I guess my next concern would just be baseline fit of a DB compared to SB from Spier. I'd assume they should fit the same.

I definitely assumed the opposite on the formality of POW vs. Glen Check vs. solid, thanks for pointing that out as well.

I'll run the colors and DB/SB+waistcoat by my partner as well to see what she thinks before moving forward. Again, can't thank you enough!

Both those suits are really nice. I'm not a wedding expert in regard to dress but that DB would maybe show up the groom which is the number one no-no to do at a wedding. But that might just be that I think that particular DB is really gorgeous.
And it also depends what the groom is wearing. If he is a friend (or the bride) you can ask them.

Thank you as well for the reply! I will be the groom so no concern there :)

I certainly agree with you about how that DB looks - I actually was really interested in the thicker fabric, full canvas Hardy Minnis POW, but I think I would run too hot with that.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of DB, would really appreciate some feedback on a wedding suit from you guys!

My dress attire is fairly limited compared to most on here, a couple suits and a handful of sport coats. Everything is Spier though so I have my size nailed down fairly well.

I was considering going MTO to allow for a few tweaks and the potential addition of a waistcoat as well.

The fabric I'm leaning towards is the light gray POW by Drago: https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/light-gray-prince-of-wales-check-223c-571
I also like this VBC Glen Check: https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/vbc---gray-glen-check-865205-1-mto-s

But I'm open to other suggestions also!

My questions would be:
I'm quite slim - 36R jacket, but 6 feet tall. Would a double breasted jacket look a bit busy on my frame? Do people tend to skip the vest when it comes to DB?

Does the POW fabric call for being a DB suit, or would it still work well going single breast + waistcoat instead.

My two cents FWIW. I think it’s harder to get a really good fit with a DB jacket than with a SB jacket. The button stance, length, and body shaping have to be more precise to look good. If you don’t already have a DB pattern dialed in or already have a good sense of how the RTW DB pattern fits you, I’d personally go SB for a time-sensitive project like my own wedding.
At 6’ I’d think that the 36R is short on you? Definitely add some length to the jacket. Be sure the waistcoat is long enough as well if you are getting a 3 piece suit.
Congratulations by the way!

Last edited:

Blondie87

Reaction score
Anyone buy a MTO sport coat this year? just wanted to see if you think the chest pocket is too high or not before I pull the trigger on one of my own after hesitating for a couple of months!

Commonbloke

Reaction score
Anyone buy a MTO sport coat this year? just wanted to see if you think the chest pocket is too high or not before I pull the trigger on one of my own after hesitating for a couple of months!

I posted a picture of a MTO sport coat that I received late February a few pages ago. It was the normal cut (although with a longer length) not the Neo.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really do prefer the look of the DB in the POW so I may head that direction. I was curious about the visibility of the waistcoat so maybe to make things simple I could skip that if I went DB. I'm in agreement on the ticket pocket/flaps as well. I guess my next concern would just be baseline fit of a DB compared to SB from Spier. I'd assume they should fit the same.

I definitely assumed the opposite on the formality of POW vs. Glen Check vs. solid, thanks for pointing that out as well.

I'll run the colors and DB/SB+waistcoat by my partner as well to see what she thinks before moving forward. Again, can't thank you enough!

I certainly agree with you about how that DB looks - I actually was really interested in the thicker fabric, full canvas Hardy Minnis POW, but I think I would run too hot with that.
You're the groom! Congratulations! Wear whatever you and your bride want.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had a DB SC MTO made a year or two ago and since Spier 42 slim OTR fit me well I used almost the same OTR measurements with a few minor tweaks in over all length of sleeve and coat and it came out great.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha I had the exact opposite reaction to full canvas. For a light, airy fabric I wish they would've gone with half. @sydneycider @gonnagetmine

Man… I have last year’s Minnis fresco suits in navy and grey. Here I am this go round scheming for a reason to buy them both again, this time in full canvas. Lol

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score

The origins of various plaids come from the uniforms of people who worked at Scottish estates, identifying them as employees of that estate. It was the original workwear! There's also technically a difference between this kind of plaid, where the colorful blue windowpane is offset from the base gray plaid, and the the kind where the colorful lines form the outlines of the bars that make up the base plaid, like this one here. https://www.carnet.it/en/new-york/7062-overcheck-in-pure-virgin-wool.html Derek went into detail once about the nomenclature, but I can't remember it now, but I do remember that only one is technically PoW check.

I'm not big on matchy matchy weddings, but one very subtle nod might be to have the colorful windowpane part of your suit match something else at the wedding, e.g. something your partner or members of family or the wedding party might wearing perhaps? Would make for some cool pictures for anyone paying attention, without being too gaudy, and your suit will be very wearable in the future.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member