• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ksinc

Reaction score
SKU: MTO-Jacket
Fabric: VBC - Blue Hopsack
Fabric SKU: TIPO/81102-MTO-J

Options
Jacket - Model: Normal Sportcoat
Jacket - Canvas: No Canvas
Jacket - Canvas: Quarter
Jacket - Lining Color: Navy
Jacket - Pocket: Patch Chest & Hip
Jacket - Sleeve Cuff: Surgeon/Functioning Cuff
Jacket - Pick Stitch: 1/4 Inch
Jacket - Buttons: Light Natural Horn

Fit: Contemporary
Type: Regular
Size: 47
Sleeve Length: 26.25
Jacket Length: 31.75
Waist: 44.50
Shoulder: 19.50
Chest: 48.75
Left Shoulder Slope: Normal
Right Shoulder Slope: Normal
I have received a shipping notification.

Well, it's here and we have tried it on. It's just about perfect.

The sleeves are made to the requested length, but they are still a touch long @ 26.25". I tried to guess the correct length to request based upon the 46 s/c, but the 47 shoulders require an even shorter sleeve measurement (maybe 1/4-1/2".)

The jacket is comfortable without the canvas and drapes well. It is probably less snug than most would like such a s/c, but it's what I wanted it to be. The details of the lighter buttons, triple patch, 1/4" pick, etc. all work with the non-canvas to present a sporty and relaxed look and feel.

The longer body adjustment is dead on. The front quarters and rear vents are presenting better. I am very happy with the s/c.

We will try to post some pictures later in the week.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was in store over the weekend. Picked up a few items. I saw a preview of what is coming for spring/summer. You will love it!

I picked up the new sweat pant in Navy, a knit long sleeve polo, a sweat shirt (new updated) and a merino crew neck sweater.

What is interesting is that my natural waist is 32 dead on but in spier I"m a 33 contemporary because of my legs and then I have to take the waist in most likely 1.5 to 2 inches.

The knit polo in large fits okay but I had to move up to a XL which fits better but is slightly loose in the body. I def gained some weight but at 5'9 ish and 167 I never thought I'd be a large or XL in anything.

MrFingers

Reaction score
Was in store over the weekend. Picked up a few items. I saw a preview of what is coming for spring/summer. You will love it!

I picked up the new sweat pant in Navy, a knit long sleeve polo, a sweat shirt (new updated) and a merino crew neck sweater.

What is interesting is that my natural waist is 32 dead on but in spier I"m a 33 contemporary because of my legs and then I have to take the waist in most likely 1.5 to 2 inches.

The knit polo in large fits okay but I had to move up to a XL which fits better but is slightly loose in the body. I def gained some weight but at 5'9 ish and 167 I never thought I'd be a large or XL in anything.
Don’t be shy. Tell us what you saw :p

Angel91

Reaction score
Hello guys. At the end of last summer I got the cream lightweight chinos (https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/cream---lightweight-chino-ry-2272-f1h1-ltk), when I got them I felt like they were a bit too “see-through”, you can very well see the white pockets and the body. I’m in Europe , it’s not easy to do returns, and I wanted to try their chinos so I kept them. Today I took them to the tailor along with some other summery things and they really are see through. Since I want to wear them I wanted to ask you guys what you do about it. I suppose if you wear a tucked in shirt it will be less noticeable. Any experience with these trousers or similar ones?

JTrent82

Reaction score
Hello guys. At the end of last summer I got the cream lightweight chinos (https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/cream---lightweight-chino-ry-2272-f1h1-ltk), when I got them I felt like they were a bit too “see-through”, you can very well see the white pockets and the body. I’m in Europe , it’s not easy to do returns, and I wanted to try their chinos so I kept them. Today I took them to the tailor along with some other summery things and they really are see through. Since I want to wear them I wanted to ask you guys what you do about it. I suppose if you wear a tucked in shirt it will be less noticeable. Any experience with these trousers or similar ones?
If light can get through then air can get through, which seems like the point of summer trousers? As long as you wear undies I think you'll be alright.

MrFingers

Reaction score
My first MTO sportcoat came in last week. Waiting on a few more hopefully tomorrow. Overall it’s a pretty good success. Other than heavy wrinkles, nothing stood out to me as bad. This is the navy vbc flannel full canvas with the Milanese buttonhole. Only nipped the waist and shortened the sleeves. So far I’m loving it. Will likely shorten sleeves a lil bit more to show some cuff and maybe take the waist in just a tad more as well. It’s modeled from a 42 but I think I would be ok with the waist taken in to match the 40 waist
EB33EB49-3487-4273-B7E8-654179DBF8AB.jpeg

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore the waxed jacket last week and it really is a nice garment. I haven't tried zipping out the detachable vest yet but it seems very versatile.

spiermackay_waxjacket_navy_fw21_4.jpg
The sleeves are flannel lined and the corduroy at the collar, cuff and placket are nice touches.

sdjackofclubs

Reaction score
2.22.22.jpeg

2.22.22 - it's an all Spier & Mackay kind of day (minus my house loafers.)

Brown cotton-linen side tab trousers (felt like it, ok?)
Light blue denim bd collar dress shirt (with sized sleeves)
Ochre merino cardigan (because it's still winter)

Angel91

Reaction score
If light can get through then air can get through, which seems like the point of summer trousers? As long as you wear undies I think you'll be alright.
Yeah, we’ll, but it’s a bit exaggerated, you CAN really see everything, specially the pockets which are very white compared to the cream trousers, maybe that’s the problem rather than the “legs”

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore the waxed jacket last week and it really is a nice garment. I haven't tried zipping out the detachable vest yet but it seems very versatile.

The sleeves are flannel lined and the corduroy at the collar, cuff and placket are nice touches.

I've been thinking of getting one, any pics on body? I can't seem to find any on-model shots of this online

Stylewords

Reaction score
This is often the case with light coloured, lightweight summer trousers. Just wear the right colour underwear and don't worry about it. I'm surprised you're in Europe; it's normally Americans who are terrified that anyone might be able to guess there is a human body underneath their shirt/trousers.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first MTO sportcoat came in last week. Waiting on a few more hopefully tomorrow. Overall it’s a pretty good success. Other than heavy wrinkles, nothing stood out to me as bad. This is the navy vbc flannel full canvas with the Milanese buttonhole. Only nipped the waist and shortened the sleeves. So far I’m loving it. Will likely shorten sleeves a lil bit more to show some cuff and maybe take the waist in just a tad more as well. It’s modeled from a 42 but I think I would be ok with the waist taken in to match the 40 waist View attachment 1757376
Where do people find these raffles? I never see anything in my area.

Shoulders and chest look great. Agree with you on sleeves, another 1-2 cm might be in order. Hard to tell about the waist without a pic of jacket buttoned.

MrFingers

Reaction score
Shoulders and chest look great. Agree with you on sleeves, another 1-2 cm might be in order. Hard to tell about the waist without a pic of jacket buttoned.
Thank you. Buttoned it doesn’t hug me as much as I prefer, still feels a tad loose but way better than regular slim. This is what it looks like buttoned:
092BCE37-A76D-4301-86DF-449A4BF6BF1C.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads