• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gonnagetmine

Reaction score
Re: Armhole

To clear up any speculation and hopefully to put this discussion to rest I’ll explain what was done with the armhole in FW21.

For a several seasons, we were hearing a few complaints and murmurings that the armholes were too low. Though sales were fine, and we were not getting any significant negative feedback, we’re always looking to make improvements. So, we thought it was time to raise the armhole. We bought several jackets from a scattering of brands within the same space to evaluate, and found a huge variation, some lower, some higher with varying levels of comfort. We discussed at length with our in-house tailors as well as our pattern maker and decided that raising 2 cm would be sufficient to make a discernable difference and improvement.

We made 2 sample rounds of the jacket, tried it and tested it. What we noticed is that you could feel the difference when compared to the previous jacket, BUT it was still comfortable and offered better range of motion with little restriction. The caveat being that if you are used to the previous jacket, it does take a little getting used to the feeling. As this was more or less in-line with a couple of the brands we purchased samples, we didn’t think this was going to be a big issue, so we went ahead.

For those speculating, when raising the armhole, the armhole width was also increased to offset the rise, this is standard practice. We didn’t just raise the armhole and make the armhole smaller as some have suggested.

The first production jackets started to arrive in late September/early October. The initial feedback was as expected, guys could notice the change, but was welcome but did take some getting used to. We also attributed that to the thicker FW fabrics, such as flannel and tweed. Our samples jackets were in simple worsteds.

During this initial period, we did not receive any alarming or negative feedback regarding the armhole, so SS22 was moved into production. It wasn’t until mid/late November we got some feedback that the armhole could be moved back down slightly. This feedback mostly on this forum and some DM’s on IG. Just talking to the shop manager now, he notes that maybe 3 or 4 guys total for the entire season, have commented on the armhole difference.

Honestly, the sales and return rate have been almost exactly in line with our projections and have kept steady. Generally, if there is a significant fit issue, we see a spike in returns of that product. This has not been the case. That said, as we are always trying to improve, we’re moving the armhole down 1 cm which should provide a good middle ground of comfort and high armhole range of motion. The change will be in the 2nd half of SS22 with the products that will arrive late March/Early April. Regardless, the SS fabrics are lighter and thinner than the FW fabrics and by default are fitting a touch looser in the armhole when directly compared.

Further to this, scooping the bottom of the armhole can be done and lowered that 1 cm if needed. If you are having an issue, you can reach out to CS and we can help out.

Hop this clears things up and put this to bed.
Rick thanks for the clarification. I just bought the SS22 Bottoli brown PoW SC. From what you're saying it sounds like this will only be made in the current Neo cut and only future offerings will be in the middle-ground armhole? I really like the fabric but would like the lower armhole.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Rick thanks for the clarification. I just bought the SS22 Bottoli brown PoW SC. From what you're saying it sounds like this will only be made in the current Neo cut and only future offerings will be in the middle-ground armhole? I really like the fabric but would like the lower armhole.

This is as it was in production before we could make the change back lower. BUT as mentioned, a good tailor can lower the armhole about 1 cm.

MrFingers

Reaction score

To clear up any speculation and hopefully to put this discussion to rest I’ll explain what was done with the armhole in FW21.

For a several seasons, we were hearing a few complaints and murmurings that the armholes were too low. Though sales were fine, and we were not getting any significant negative feedback, we’re always looking to make improvements. So, we thought it was time to raise the armhole. We bought several jackets from a scattering of brands within the same space to evaluate, and found a huge variation, some lower, some higher with varying levels of comfort. We discussed at length with our in-house tailors as well as our pattern maker and decided that raising 2 cm would be sufficient to make a discernable difference and improvement.

We made 2 sample rounds of the jacket, tried it and tested it. What we noticed is that you could feel the difference when compared to the previous jacket, BUT it was still comfortable and offered better range of motion with little restriction. The caveat being that if you are used to the previous jacket, it does take a little getting used to the feeling. As this was more or less in-line with a couple of the brands we purchased samples, we didn’t think this was going to be a big issue, so we went ahead.

For those speculating, when raising the armhole, the armhole width was also increased to offset the rise, this is standard practice. We didn’t just raise the armhole and make the armhole smaller as some have suggested.

The first production jackets started to arrive in late September/early October. The initial feedback was as expected, guys could notice the change, but was welcome but did take some getting used to. We also attributed that to the thicker FW fabrics, such as flannel and tweed. Our samples jackets were in simple worsteds.

During this initial period, we did not receive any alarming or negative feedback regarding the armhole, so SS22 was moved into production. It wasn’t until mid/late November we got some feedback that the armhole could be moved back down slightly. This feedback mostly on this forum and some DM’s on IG. Just talking to the shop manager now, he notes that maybe 3 or 4 guys total for the entire season, have commented on the armhole difference.

Honestly, the sales and return rate have been almost exactly in line with our projections and have kept steady. Generally, if there is a significant fit issue, we see a spike in returns of that product. This has not been the case. That said, as we are always trying to improve, we’re moving the armhole down 1 cm which should provide a good middle ground of comfort and high armhole range of motion. The change will be in the 2nd half of SS22 with the products that will arrive late March/Early April. Regardless, the SS fabrics are lighter and thinner than the FW fabrics and by default are fitting a touch looser in the armhole when directly compared.

Further to this, scooping the bottom of the armhole can be done and lowered that 1 cm if needed. If you are having an issue, you can reach out to CS and we can help out.

Hey guys, thanks for addressing this. Was there a common denominator with the people that did have notable issues with the new armhole?

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for addressing this. Was there a common denominator with the people that did have notable issues with the new armhole?

Not really, as mentioned we didn't really get a lot of complaints. The issue was mostly about difference in the feel. The raised armhole can be felt. More that you're conscious that it's there. Not that it was actually uncomfortable, but definitely noticeable compared to the older armhole - Which the complaint was too low.

MrFingers

Reaction score
Not really, as mentioned we didn't really get a lot of complaints. The issue was mostly about difference in the feel. The raised armhole can be felt. More that you're conscious that it's there. Not that it was actually uncomfortable, but definitely noticeable compared to the older armhole - Which the complaint was too low.
Thanks! While you’re here, why don’t you tell us what’s coming this season? ?

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore a bunch of Spier this past week. Some stuff I was able to get pics of, some I wasn’t.

Tried the whole sportcoat and jeans thing when I went to smoke a cigar. Pictured here is the brown hopsack sportcoat, FW ‘21.

AB9C5258-894B-4457-A39C-BF609D1A7882.jpeg

Whole outfit Spier. Hopsack Neo, frescos, Italian button down collar shirt. Was told recently this shirt was too sexy. ??‍♂️
4B60D083-313D-4F64-B280-C32775A0F9E0.jpeg

Just returned from the tailor with a whole Spier hull. More pics to come this week, as I’m supposedly due back in the office in a few days…

Last edited:

ksinc

Reaction score
Yes, all the sportcoats. They are actually all on the same pattern block.

how do we know what armhole in MTO? If I ordered standard s/c (not neo) contemporary in December am I getting the old or new armhole? The armholes are already too small.

I look for consistency. Constantly making changes defeats the purpose of being loyal.

I only bought BB for 25 years until I could no longer get consistent, repeatable results.

This is very frustrating as all you ever mentioned and what is on the website refers to neo Cut changes. Not Std.

how are you Going to get repeat customers satisfied when we can’t order the same size and get the same fit?

none of this is disclosed outside new rtw neo on the website.

And its Not like returns are easy with you.

Last edited:

Jlee80

Reaction score
Honestly, I think Rick does a pretty damn good job of communicating with customers… I’d argue his participation on the forum is almost counter-productive to him as some people seem to never be happy… armhole isn’t high enough, armhole is too high, can we get super super super high rise trousers, etc.

Embrace that he comes on here and speaks directly to the small base of his customers… as I’m sure most people don’t have such needy requests. I swear I read some of these replies and feel bad for the guy.

Not everything is perfect, but not many business owners take the time to engage here and on IG like he does.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Appreciate the clarification. Looking forward to what’s to come.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads