• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MacGuffen

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind comments above!

I don't think it looks too long. Plus the camera lense doesn't help a lot to jusdge. :laugh:

Are you wearing an SC underneath?
No, just a shirt. It feels better with a SC underneath, that's true.

Still, it's funny how different it feels from my same size Polo coat, I guess because of the thicker fabric in the polo.

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moon tobacco herringbone from 2019 plus the new Dugdale GMTO cavalry twill in mid grey.

DSC03963.jpg

DSC04002.jpg

DSC04011.jpg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To my knowledge, S&M have never offered any type of Moon herringbone jacket that was known as ‘Caramel’, no idea where that description came from. This one is known as ‘Tobacco/Black‘ on the Moon website.
There were definitely two different Moon brown herringbone tweeds; the earlier one (FW18?) was darker and the later one (FW19?) was lighter.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To my knowledge, it was indeed advertised as caramel in the RTW section. S&M doesn't always use the same names as the Moon websitefor example, they're currently offering Minnis Fresco suits in the custom section which are described as houndstooth and mid grey, while the Minnis website refers to the same fabric as puppytooth and grey/white.

Afterthesuit also refers to it as caramel based on what it was called on the website.
Screenshot_20220107_004601_com.instagram.android_edit_20097240060474.jpg

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My order email from 2019 has no mention of ‘Caramel’, and the product descriptions on these emails are pulled from the same database as the website.

One can only assume the description was changed at some point, similar to how the Solaro was changed to ‘Summer Herringbone’ earlier this year.

9B7A3C58-0230-443E-A8D4-029FA1B09B84.jpeg

Last edited:

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here’s a few snaps of the E. Thomas W/C Hopsack. Very soft feel to the texture, and a enjoyably chunky weave for surface interest. Will be interesting to see how it sheds wrinkles.

As an aside, I’ll be very curious to see how well the newest change to the Neo cut (kicking in on this year’s S/S offerings I believe?) splits the difference between the old cut and current one. As stands, I think I’d hesitate to purchase another in the current cut and size, though I wouldn’t necessarily be averse to experimenting with the next size up. I reserve the right to amend this opinion, but the upper arm (bicep and deltoid area, primarily) feels distinctly slimmer, which noticeably impacts the drape on my frame. More so with this than my other SC (the grey donegal suit) in the cut.
@DonRaphael if looking at RTW stuff, have you given this a thought with the current Neo cut? i know we had similar impressions as to where things had changed.
0CC046FA-456E-4DF9-A041-78D68EAF4238.jpeg
6A83C44E-6F5D-4440-9247-133416D8D03D.jpeg

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here’s a few snaps of the E. Thomas W/C Hopsack. Very soft feel to the texture, and a enjoyably chunky weave for surface interest. Will be interesting to see how it sheds wrinkles.

As an aside, I’ll be very curious to see how well the newest change to the Neo cut (kicking in on this year’s S/S offerings I believe?) splits the difference between the old cut and current one. As stands, I think I’d hesitate to purchase another in the current cut and size, though I wouldn’t necessarily be averse to experimenting with the next size up. I reserve the right to amend this opinion, but the upper arm (bicep and deltoid area, primarily) feels distinctly slimmer, which noticeably impacts the drape on my frame. More so with this than my other SC (the grey donegal suit) in the cut.
@DonRaphael if looking at RTW stuff, have you given this a thought with the current Neo cut? i know we had similar impressions as to where things had changed.
View attachment 1732847 View attachment 1732848
I've tried three jackets with the new Neo cut, and they all feel excessively restricting at the same places as you describe. At first I chalked it up to maybe receiving a smaller cut size or due to fabric weight. But I've handled both light and heavy fabrics and the higher armhole is noticeable. I can't wear it. All my MTOs this season have featured the lower armhole after coming to this conclusion. I'm not keen on sizing up, I'd rather just ask for the lower cut armhole.

I am interested to see how the revised version the coming season will be however. It's supposed to be an inbetween solution between the old and new cuts (1 cm higher than the old and 1 cm lower than the new).

Carl Trotter

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Spier and Mackay English Cut jackets or any experience with their 'Custom'/MTM program?

I'm looking for advice, and am appreciative of anything.

Thanks, -Carl

JayDee90

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Spier and Mackay English Cut jackets or any experience with their 'Custom'/MTM program?

I'm looking for advice, and am appreciative of anything.

Thanks, -Carl
You will find comments RE: the MTM program from myself and other individuals a few pages back. Note there is a distinction between MTO (online) and MTM (in person).

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leibgeber