• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chiggyv

Reaction score
Well, I can't recommend this flannel shirt that I just took a total loss on.

I wash all my shirts and AIR dry before wearing, and upon putting this one on to wear out for the first time it was very tight and confining. It's a contemp. 16.5 and upon measuring I found it measuring on the small side of a 16 in the chest and waist. Also, the placket twists off to one side (a problem I've occasionally experienced with other thicker shirts, presumably bc shrinkage is uneven).

Overall, I'm a big fan of S$M and only want to see them do well....but this is not my first go-around with their shrinky dink shirt fabrics. I'd really like to see them re-evaluate what fabrics they're sourcing, maybe performing some basic testing before moving to production. You never see this weirdly terrible tendency to so easily shrink up with shirts from Target, the Gap, etc...so it's really baffling. I'll never forget the MTM madras shirt where after one wash in cold water, line dried it went from roughly Large Tall proportion to the size of a kids shirt. Like, how? Despite their very attractive value pricing on shirts, my price-per-shirt with the handful of S$M shirts in my closet is no longer very good when you factor in the shrunken insta-toss-outs.

This hit the nail on the head.

I've been a long time Spier shopper. I don't buy suits. I have one navy sport coat. However, at one point 100% of my shirts were from Spier and Mackay. Being local further increased the value proposition since I can try on, skip shipping fees etc.

Unfortunately, I'm slowly down to about 30% of my shirts coming from Spier. The shrinking issue really diminishes the value to the point that I've had to explore other brands - even much more expensive makers. Paying double for a shirt becomes justified when you're not anxious to wash it.

I still love the brand (I'm here hitting F5 waiting for a Oxford restock) but there's something just inherently ****** about being excited for a shirt and having to dump it after a couple wears. It makes me think twice and reach other options for every purchase.

(Before the thread comes after me yes I cold wash and air dry.)

jermyzy

Reaction score
Took advantage of their free full canvas/milanese buttonhole offer and ordered my first full canvas MTO suit. Will be interesting to see if it drapes any better than the regular half canvas.

Just to check for those of you encountering shrinking shirts, are you washing in cold water? I used to have the shrinking issue with all my S&M shirts too, but ever since I've switched to washing them in cold water only and hang dry, have not encountered this issue. However, I do find their buttonhold threads seem to come loose easily.

jermyzy

Reaction score
Well, I can't recommend this flannel shirt that I just took a total loss on.

I wash all my shirts and AIR dry before wearing, and upon putting this one on to wear out for the first time it was very tight and confining. It's a contemp. 16.5 and upon measuring I found it measuring on the small side of a 16 in the chest and waist. Also, the placket twists off to one side (a problem I've occasionally experienced with other thicker shirts, presumably bc shrinkage is uneven).

Overall, I'm a big fan of S$M and only want to see them do well....but this is not my first go-around with their shrinky dink shirt fabrics. I'd really like to see them re-evaluate what fabrics they're sourcing, maybe performing some basic testing before moving to production. You never see this weirdly terrible tendency to so easily shrink up with shirts from Target, the Gap, etc...so it's really baffling. I'll never forget the MTM madras shirt where after one wash in cold water, line dried it went from roughly Large Tall proportion to the size of a kids shirt. Like, how? Despite their very attractive value pricing on shirts, my price-per-shirt with the handful of S$M shirts in my closet is no longer very good when you factor in the shrunken insta-toss-outs.

Urgh, I just ordered this shirt yesterday. Hope mine doesn't have the same issue

SteveMc

Reaction score
You do realize that when you’re taking your shirts to dry cleaners they are being laundered in water and detergent just like they would be at home? Or are you telling them explicitly to chemically wash your shirts and not use water and regular detergent?

Is it possible that dry cleaning will shrink clothing?

I have a feeling that a couple of dress chinos got shrink after dry cleaning. I can't be 100% sure, I didn't measure before and after, but after the dry cleaning I noticed they are almost too short to wear. Is there a way to avoid this?

Jlee80

Reaction score
Is it possible that dry cleaning will shrink clothing?

I have a feeling that a couple of dress chinos got shrink after dry cleaning. I can't be 100% sure, I didn't measure before and after, but after the dry cleaning I noticed they are almost too short to wear. Is there a way to avoid this?
Always possible, but I haven’t noticed any.

Jlee80

Reaction score
I think it looks fine. I personally prefer my jackets on the slightly shorter side. I find the old "cover the whole butt" rule makes the jackets seem too long and old-fashioned IMHO
Thanks. I’m 5’6 so I don’t think it’s too short, and I took the advice of a fellow forum member and took some photos from a more natural vantage point.

AtlRock

Reaction score
My first S&M purchase ... 46R Neo. Feedback on fit/sizing.
IMG_6649.jpg
IMG_6647.jpg
IMG_6646.jpg
IMG_6645.jpg

alkydrinker

Reaction score
Is this shirt shrinkage occuring once only after the first wash or is it progressive shrinkage after each wash?

For me, it's been after the first wash and very obvious. I've read it's been the same for others.

The thing that's weird to me is it's not like like Spier is a fabric manufacturer...they offer many different shirt fabrics assumingly from various different sources (just like any other brand). Why is it that their shirts have this widespread tendency to shrink so much? Are other manufacturers prewashing the fabric, while Spier's factories skip this step? Are they just sourcing from dodgy, low-cost sources without taking the time to test them out, whereas other companies do some basic tests on fabrics? - I really don't know.

I have a variety of MTM shirts from Ratio and never had this problem (I've gone back to them for MTM). And like I mentioned in my original post, you buy cheap cotton shirts from cheap places like Target, Gap, etc....those never notably shrink when line dried...many won't even shrink much when hot dried in a dryer.

EDIT: I should add that I do have some S$M shirts that are holding up OK after several washes, with either modest shrink or no noticeable shrink. Many others here are perfectly happy with several of their shirts as well. So I don't want to universally say all their shirt offerings are bad....the shrink risk is just much higher than should be, and higher than any other brand I've dealt with. Believe it or not, I also just ordered two more casual shirts from them, decided to roll the dice one more time, but if either of these two shrink I'm probably completely done with their shirts.

Last edited:

ULCajun

Reaction score
For me, it's been after the first wash and very obvious. I've read it's been the same for others.

The thing that's weird to me is it's not like like Spier is a fabric manufacturer...they offer many different shirt fabrics assumingly from various different sources (just like any other brand). Why is it that their shirts have this widespread tendency to shrink so much? Are other manufacturers prewashing the fabric, while Spier's factories skip this step? Are they just sourcing from dodgy, low-cost sources without taking the time to test them out, whereas other companies do some basic tests on fabrics? - I really don't know.

I have a variety of MTM shirts from Ratio and never had this problem (I've gone back to them for MTM). And like I mentioned in my original post, you buy cheap cotton shirts from cheap places like Target, Gap, etc....those never notably shrink when line dried...many won't even shrink much when hot dried in a dryer.

EDIT: I should add that I do have some S$M shirts that are holding up OK after several washes, with either modest shrink or no noticeable shrink. Many others here are perfectly happy with several of their shirts as well. So I don't want to universally say all their shirt offerings are bad....the shrink risk is just much higher than should be, and higher than any other brand I've dealt with. Believe it or not, I also just ordered two more casual shirts from them, decided to roll the dice one more time, but if either of these two shrink I'm probably completely done with their shirts.
They’ve always defended their shrinking shirts claiming they were within tolerance and all manufacturers experience it. I think it’s BS. Like you, I don’t notice it on every shirt but the majority of them.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They’ve always defended their shrinking shirts claiming they were within tolerance and all manufacturers experience it. I think it’s BS. Like you, I don’t notice it on every shirt but the majority of them.
I don’t want to sound unsympathetic, because I’m not. I have long arms for my size and so I’m very sensitive to shrinkage, especially in the sleeves.

that said, it’s been two or three years since I’ve had an SM shirt shrink noticeably. Partly for that very reason, I have bought a ton of them. 20 - 30 this year alone, I am embarrassed to admit. including two of the flannel shirts that gave you problems most recently. Call me lucky, but it’s not a “widespread” issue—although again, I am not doubting your experience.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johanchrhakj