• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love Spier and Mackay, after measuring myself and reading the size guide a couple years ago I found that the shirts, dress pants, jackets/blazers, and suits fit me basically perfectly off the rack. It’s become my go-to shop for ordering business casual or above clothing, plus the odd casual article here and there (I love the polos). The only issue I’ve had is the casual pants, and I’m wondering if this is a common issue and if a basic tailor can resolve it without destroying the pants.

The problem I have with the two casual pants I own by S&M is that they seem to have absolutely no taper, just straight legged pants (not at all my style). In fact, they almost seem to flair out a bit at the bottom. From the side I notice they look fine, but straight on they are square and blocklike. They are also slightly long for me compared to any other pants in this size. I wear 32 Slim fit, and I’m wondering if anyone else has noticed this or has similar thoughts? The dress pants in 32 slim fit me perfectly (they need hemming, of course, they come unhemmed), and have a nice taper into the knee/calf/ankle area.

So, am I crazy or has someone else experienced this? And can I take my pants to a basic tailor (she’s done work for me before and is adequate, but by no means a master at the craft) to somehow have them tapered/hemmed slightly? Or should I just give up on casual pants from Spier? I’ve got basic brownish/khaki chinos that I’ve only worn once or twice since I got them a year ago, and a new pair of green corduroy chino casual pants that I’m eager to rock.
Pictures!

JS_Littygator

Reaction score
Pictures!
Here’s the corduroy chinos (love the color/material, just not the fit). My other pair are at my other abode, at the moment, since I don’t wear them. Can post pics later, maybe I’ll post some before and after pics if the alteration is successful. Last pics show my normal “fit” for casual pants. It’s subtle, but for me a dealbreaker.

They are also, of course, a bit too long so the bunching isn’t helping. Even when I rolled up the bottom it was still too baggy around the lower half of my leg for my taste. As mentioned in my first post, it’s really most noticeable when standing straight on and facing directly forward. The side profile actually has a nice natural taper already.

02FD1E20-A9E0-4030-B0AE-06E75DCB63C0.jpeg
35E8971A-5B7A-4BBC-854A-59903BBC8235.jpeg
662F9C48-3751-4F28-B5E7-B84A8BA5BAFE.jpeg
2C409347-E92B-4FA4-8844-E22D4D3B7F1D.jpeg

5BDF987D-E49E-42D5-A44D-26AEDD3D812D.jpeg
7AD2A04A-ACA2-45E0-A520-EC28A16E812C.jpeg

Last edited:

Stylewords

Reaction score
Here’s the corduroy chinos (love the color/material, just not the fit). My other pair are at my other abode, at the moment, since I don’t wear them. Can post pics later, maybe I’ll post some before and after pics if the alteration is successful. Last pics show my normal “fit” for casual pants. It’s subtle, but for me a dealbreaker.

They are also, of course, a bit too long so the bunching isn’t helping. Even when I rolled up the bottom it was still too baggy around the lower half of my leg for my taste. As mentioned in my first post, it’s really most noticeable when standing straight on and facing directly forward. The side profile actually has a nice natural taper already.

View attachment 1717824 View attachment 1717825 View attachment 1717826 View attachment 1717827
View attachment 1717828 View attachment 1717829
They only need to be hemmed. They do not need to be tapered any more than they alread are.

Evacipator

Reaction score
I was going to say the same - at the least, get them altered in two stages. You will need to have them hemmed to know how much (if any) they need to be tapered.

For curiosity sake, you might also want to overlay your regular ones on top of the new ones that need adjusting. The difference in tapering will be more evident that way than trying to compare them while both being worn, when they are at different hem lengths.

JS_Littygator

Reaction score
I was going to say the same - at the least, get them altered in two stages. You will need to have them hemmed to know how much (if any) they need to be tapered.

For curiosity sake, you might also want to overlay your regular ones on top of the new ones that need adjusting. The difference in tapering will be more evident that way than trying to compare them while both being worn, when they are at different hem lengths.
Yeah I think the two stage alteration makes sense. I’ve also rolled up the pant leg opening and pinned it in place, still seemed a bit too wide, but I think I’ll try them on with only hemming before having the seam split to taper them further.

As for the experiment, the results are pretty crazy. Can’t believe these are both 32 (granted, brown pants have shrunk a bit from my GF loading them in the dryer and years of ownership).

image.jpg

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think the two stage alteration makes sense. I’ve also rolled up the pant leg opening and pinned it in place, still seemed a bit too wide, but I think I’ll try them on with only hemming before having the seam split to taper them further.

As for the experiment, the results are pretty crazy. Can’t believe these are both 32 (granted, brown pants have shrunk a bit from my GF loading them in the dryer and years of ownership).

View attachment 1717839

No Need To Taper, Hem And Put A Crease In Them, Or Buy Some New Ones And Have S$M Hem, They Are Casual Trousers, But What Do I Know, I Don't Wear Chinos! :fonz:

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love Spier and Mackay, after measuring myself and reading the size guide a couple years ago I found that the shirts, dress pants, jackets/blazers, and suits fit me basically perfectly off the rack. It’s become my go-to shop for ordering business casual or above clothing, plus the odd casual article here and there (I love the polos). The only issue I’ve had is the casual pants, and I’m wondering if this is a common issue and if a basic tailor can resolve it without destroying the pants.

The problem I have with the two casual pants I own by S&M is that they seem to have absolutely no taper, just straight legged pants (not at all my style). In fact, they almost seem to flair out a bit at the bottom. From the side I notice they look fine, but straight on they are square and blocklike. They are also slightly long for me compared to any other pants in this size. I wear 32 Slim fit, and I’m wondering if anyone else has noticed this or has similar thoughts? The dress pants in 32 slim fit me perfectly (they need hemming, of course, they come unhemmed), and have a nice taper into the knee/calf/ankle area.

So, am I crazy or has someone else experienced this? And can I take my pants to a basic tailor (she’s done work for me before and is adequate, but by no means a master at the craft) to somehow have them tapered/hemmed slightly? Or should I just give up on casual pants from Spier? I’ve got basic brownish/khaki chinos that I’ve only worn once or twice since I got them a year ago, and a new pair of green corduroy chino casual pants that I’m eager to rock.
Doing any tailoring on $50 “casual” pants makes no sense to me, unless your tailor works for free.

If I was going to do Two Stages with those pants the two would be 1 wash 2 hem.

Probably better off finding trousers that are closer to your desired fit OTR

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why? What difference does the original cost make? Surely the only criterion is whether the total cost produces a garment he is happy with.
Given unlimited resources, yes. You can MTO a pair of cords to your precise specs. For a price.

But for most guys happy outcomes are balanced against cost of producing same right?

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Has anyone else ordered the twill knit shirts? It's been a while since I've ordered dress shirts in general, but even this contemporary in 15/33 feels slimmer than my old 15/33 contemporary shirts. I'm actually a little lighter through the pandemic, so a little odd the shirt feels a little more fitted than my old Spier & Mackay shirts.

Only opened the light blue so far.

View media item 2296149
If you think the fit is too slim, I'd return and size up. I haven't tried Spier's knit dress shirts, but I have knit button downs from other makers, and they seem to shrink significantly more than woven dress shirts.

JS_Littygator

Reaction score
Doing any tailoring on $50 “casual” pants makes no sense to me, unless your tailor works for free.

If I was going to do Two Stages with those pants the two would be 1 wash 2 hem.

Probably better off finding trousers that are closer to your desired fit OTR
I agree with this to some extent, these fit pretty well at the waist which is surprising. I am disappointed with having to have these altered so much, but I hate returns especially to Canada from California.

I’m 6’ and weigh 165, pretty damn skinny. Have never seen a size 32 that was too long for me lol. I think a 31 might just barely fit my waist, so my next order will be 31 slim to check it out.

JS_Littygator

Reaction score
Saw the deal on the cashmere sweaters and wondering if they are TTS?
I wear a (slim fit) size 38R jacket, large t-shirt/polo, and the large navy cashmere crew neck fits me perfectly FWIW. Major fan of it. Have never been one to splurge on cashmere, but I think if you want something very high quality it’s worth the cost. Feels much softer than a normal wool sweater. Has a bit of a stretch to it.
0E50DC3D-1000-4D12-B875-E7D926968001.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads