• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Huxley

Reaction score
I have the regular Italian collar and don't really like it because, as others have pointed out, the angle is such that the points don't rest beneath my lapels. This one, though, looks great.
I had read about this a number of times on the forum. While unfortunately I only decided to do the search after purchasing the shirt, fortunately, the collar point sit well.

I’m generally partial to the c6 though, and haven’t ordered any other c16s, however.

Evacipator

Reaction score
looks really good! how did you size?

Thanks!

This is the Small. I normally wear a 38S Contemporary in S&M coats (and then still need to have the sleeves shortened). I also mostly wear neo cut, if that matters for reference.

I actually picked up the Small and the Medium because they were both in stock and they suggested sizing up if wearing over coats. I wasn't planning on doing that, but I did want to wear it layered over cable knits and scarves and stuff, so I wanted to check. But the Medium swims on me, so it will be the one going back.

On review, the one fit thing I'd change based on these photos is that I adjusted the drawstring before putting the scarf on - which then takes up more room inside. The fit was better before the scarf went on, but that would be an easy fix by slightly letting out the string again. I didn't fuss over it though, since it was way too hot to actually be wearing it!

Last edited:

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score
Thanks!

This is the Small. I normally wear a 38S Contemporary in S&M coats (I mostly wear neo cut).

I actually picked up the Small and the Medium because they were both in stock and they suggested sizing up if wearing over coats. I wasn't planning on doing that, but I did want to wear it layered over cable knits and scarves and stuff, so I wanted to check. But the Medium swims on me, so it will be the one going back.

On review, the one fit thing I'd change based on these photos is that I adjusted the drawstring before then putting the scarf on - which then takes up more room inside. The fit was better before the scarf went on, but that would be an easy fix by letting the string out slightly again. I didn't fuss over it though, since it was way too hot to actually be wearing it!

thank you so much for the input, I also plan on wearing something similar to you. An OCBD and merino wool crewneck under. Enjoy and hope you wear it a lot :thumbs-up:

deed

Reaction score
Style question. Do you think it will be 'acceptable' to go without cuffs for S&M's reverse single pleat high-rise trousers?

I am 6' 1" (185cm) tall, but my inseam is only 30". When I told my tailor I wanted a 2" cuff, he said:

1. it won't match well with the single reverse pleat for this pants
2. My proportion is not ideal for a 2" cuff and it will make me look bottom heavy.
3. He suggested a half break hem instead.

I'm quite new to classical menswear and this is my first venture into high-rise/pleated pants. So I'm ready for a good lecturing.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Style question. Do you think it will be 'acceptable' to go without cuffs for S&M's reverse single pleat high-rise trousers?

I am 6' 1" (185cm) tall, but my inseam is only 30". When I told my tailor I wanted a 2" cuff, he said:

2. My proportion is not ideal for a 2" cuff and it will make me look bottom heavy.

I'm quite new to classical menswear and this is my first venture into high-rise/pleated pants. So I'm ready for a good lecturing.
For me it's personal preference. I cuff all my trousers that have a crease.

Adds a bit of weight to the drape of the pants too.

Evacipator

Reaction score
thank you so much for the input, I also plan on wearing something similar to you. An OCBD and merino wool crewneck under. Enjoy and hope you wear it a lot :thumbs-up:

No problem, and thanks again.

Weather permitting, I think I'll get a lot of use out of it just because the (lower two) pockets are super utilitarian. A phone can go in there without really being able to tell that it's in there. Incidentally, for me they're a perfect size for snugly (i.e. securely) but comfortably (i.e. still easy to get out) holding lens filters!

Evacipator

Reaction score

Stylistically it seems fine. As your tailor alludes to, whether cuffs are best or not (and what height, if so) will somewhat depend on the individual's proportions. 2" is on the larger side though, too, it is worth noting.

I usually go without cuffs, for what it's worth, but again that's partly down to my build.

Bidouleroux

Reaction score
Few pics of the moleskin field jacket in the wild. I say in the wild, but I was actually just playing around with a new camera I'm trying to learn to use, so it was only on to give me something different to shoot. It was not weather appropriate at all, so it didn't last long.

Very nice. Where's the scarf from?

Stylewords

Reaction score

It is acceptable to go without cuffs. I also have a relatively longer torso and mostly avoid cuffs (though go with them if you want).

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stylistically it seems fine. As your tailor alludes to, whether cuffs are best or not (and what height, if so) will somewhat depend on the individual's proportions. 2" is on the larger side though, too, it is worth noting.

I usually go without cuffs, for what it's worth, but again that's partly down to my build.

I do cuffs, but limit to 1.75". 2"+ were all the rage a while back, but I think it looks bad on anyone under 6'1" at least. And I do no break or the very slightest of breaks.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pictures Would Help, I Cuff, Flat Fronts And Pleats, I Have One Of The Heaviest Cuffs Here On SF, 2.5 - My Tailors Hates It, But It Works For Me, What Works For You? Do You! :fistbump:

Last edited:

Evacipator

Reaction score
I do cuffs, but limit to 1.75". 2"+ were all the rage a while back, but I think it looks bad on anyone under 6'1" at least. And I do no break or the very slightest of breaks.

Yeah I have one casual pair with a 1.75" cuff that I wanted a specific look for (it's a self-belted heavy linen, and I think the larger cuffs match the way the fabric feels weight wise, while visually mirroring and being balanced out by the self-belt). But for anything else I'm tending towards 1.25", give or take a quarter inch, if I'm taking a cuff at all.

JayDee90

Reaction score
Yeah I have one casual pair with a 1.75" cuff that I wanted a specific look for (it's a self-belted heavy linen, and I think the larger cuffs match the way the fabric feels weight wise, while visually mirroring and being balanced out by the self-belt). But for anything else I'm tending towards 1.25", give or take a quarter inch, if I'm taking a cuff at all.
1.25" seems on the small side..but I guess...proportions, height play a factor?

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of trousers, from a suit I got at S&M, that I got hemmed at S&M to 1.5” cuff. First time playing with cuffs and I loved it. It is all about proportions, but I am 5’9 135lbs and the cuff works well. Though, any larger I’d have to pass. I prefer cuff for dress trousers and no break on casual/odd trousers. Slight to medium break for denim

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Prostadiprice