• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy Guabello hopsack
IMG_20210906_090033.jpg

IMG_20210906_075118.jpg
IMG_20210906_075242_edit_602906843116854.jpg
IMG_20210906_075316_edit_602932389138725.jpg
IMG_20210906_075135_edit_602838952323114.jpg

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is it possible to make the RTW jackets have surgeon cuffs? I had one S&M jacket with surgeons cuffs and really like it.

Please, no.

RTW jackets with surgeon's cuffs are great if you only need half-an-inch of adjustment to the sleeve length. Otherwise, they are a major, major pain to get the sleeves adjusted, particularly if the fabric is patterned. Much more expensive, too, and not all tailors can do it, or are willing to do it.

The irony is that it's much cheaper to have working buttonholes added to jacket sleeves, than it is to shorten sleeves with working buttonholes (unless, as noted above, you only need them shortened a very small amount).

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice! How does the Guabello feel compared to the Dino Filarte? I know @Riva doesn't like the Dino Filarte version.
Thanks. I can relate to what Riva says. The Filarte is more flimsy and tends to pile more. Guabello definitely feels more expensive and looks more expensive close up as well since it doesn't pile.

With that being said, I still like the Filarte suiting as it's brighter in shade and thus looks more summer-y.

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score
Please, no.

RTW jackets with surgeon's cuffs are great if you only need half-an-inch of adjustment to the sleeve length. Otherwise, they are a major, major pain to get the sleeves adjusted, particularly if the fabric is patterned. Much more expensive, too, and not all tailors can do it, or are willing to do it.

The irony is that it's much cheaper to have working buttonholes added to jacket sleeves, than it is to shorten sleeves with working buttonholes (unless, as noted above, you only need them shortened a very small amount).

Yes, I only need to shorten the sleeves at the very most 1/2 inch, probably more like 1/4 inch and they would be perfect. So you suggest not to ask my tailor to make the RTW jacket into surgeon cuffs?
IMG_4695_2 (1).jpg
IMG_4694.jpg

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Blondie87

Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of the light brown flannel trousers? On the website it looks really light and almost white to me. Just wanted to see the color in “normal” lighting/ in the wild!

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drake's burgundy tie is A-1, my friend. I think I have the same one in black. I've dipped my toe into the burgundy waters hard as of late. Still waiting to receive that burgundy ME hopsack sportcoat you convinced me to buy.
Thanks, mate. I grabbed it during the archive sale. Burgundy is one of my favourite colours for ties. It's versatile and sedated. But I like it even more for FW ties. It's a perfect base for madder.

I guarantee you won't be disappointed with the ME burgundy hopsack. Looking forward to see pics of you wearing it. Can't wait for FW so I can wear mine.

Last edited:

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is it possible to make the RTW jackets have surgeon cuffs? I had one S&M jacket with surgeons cuffs and really like it.
Please, god, nooooooooo.
Please, no.

+100. I just get buttonholes made when getting my SM gear altered. It's not CHEAP, by any means, but far cheaper, and farrrrrr less risky than shortening from the shoulders.

Litigation Cures All

Reaction score
Please, god, nooooooooo.

+100. I just get buttonholes made when getting my SM gear altered. It's not CHEAP, by any means, but far cheaper, and farrrrrr less risky than shortening from the shoulders.

Do S&M suits and sport coats come with enough fabric in the sleeve for a tailor to make completely functional buttonholes? I had a tailor make functional buttonholes without cutting and sewing the sleeve lining, leaving functional buttonholes that weren’t really functional lol. Not sure if that was tailor incompetence or the lack of enough fabric to fold over and sew into the cut sleeve lining.

Cmezavz

Reaction score
If anyone interested, brand new. I am taking offers:

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please, god, nooooooooo.

I have shortened more than 20 jackets from the shoulders inc the notoriously delicate Sacco shirtlike unstructureds, there is zero risk on shortening from the shoulders as long as you know your tailor is capable enough. I've also shortened shoulders and up armholes with great success.

Other than cost which varies inc your budget, ideally all buttonholes should be REAL. It's the fastest indication that your jacket is rtw and come on really do you want fake stuff on your garments? That's like wearing a fake Rolex. Having said that since I'm too lazy to convert all mines to working buttonholes I just remove all the fake holes and kept a single button on the sleeve as accent after hemming the sleeves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics