• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blue reverse stripe popover
C4160F8C-1001-4466-AA57-ABD73546E9F4.jpeg
The fabric is thicker and softer than my other cotton-linens. Great shirt.

Anybody tried the white vintage chambray? Another terrific fabric.

Bacharini

Reaction score
How did you size them? I've read in the thread that some suggested sizing down and some suggested TTS.
I went a half size down from my brannock/sneaker size based on my experience with their oxfords. They definitely run large compared to Meermin, for example.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks REALLY good for MTO w/ what appears to be a pretty generous drop. I personally find fresco to lean more formal so I would definitely recommend picking up the matching trousers. Can we get the fabric code #? I'm always looking over the various brown frescos and mocklenos. Dugdale's brown mockleno that Tim made up for a customer haunts my dreams.

C6F8A02A-CFED-4979-959C-292A26E9183E.jpeg
6D70DA50-665C-4F84-B140-C20E3353EAFE.jpeg
C4068E8D-BFF9-4012-B02D-1270892AE865.jpeg
00DACFEB-8063-495C-BDD8-C08D319919A1.jpeg

DNL

Reaction score
I am 5'9'',170-175 lb with a 40,5 - 41" chest and a 32-33" waist

Looking at those measurements would you recommend me to try a 40 contemporary? Slim is not looking that much slimmer (size chart), but I am afraid the sleeves will be too tight.

When I tried the 48 havanna the waist was good, but it was too restricting in the chest and sleeves. The 50 was better, but the waist (ok easy to alter) and shoulders felt like they were more on the wider side. On both the quaters were closed or even overlapping which was not a good look and I think due to my sloppy shoulders and neck muscles an unpadded shoulder does not flatter my body, so it is better to stay away from Spiers neo cut I would say.

Last question what is the maximum you can shorten the sleeves?

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at those measurements would you recommend me to try a 40 contemporary? Slim is not looking that much slimmer (size chart), but I am afraid the sleeves will be too tight.

When I tried the 48 havanna the waist was good, but it was too restricting in the chest and sleeves. The 50 was better, but the waist (ok easy to alter) and shoulders felt like they were more on the wider side. On both the quaters were closed or even overlapping which was not a good look and I think due to my sloppy shoulders and neck muscles an unpadded shoulder does not flatter my body, so it is better to stay away from Spiers neo cut I would say.

Last question what is the maximum you can shorten the sleeves?

I've done 4 cm but you can probably do more if you tell the tailor to do it from the shoulder which he may be able to make the armhole higher as well while at it.

Slapdashstyle

Reaction score
The DiPray was a touch slimmer - i'd say my contemporary fits more like a slim, fortunately, both slim/cont work fine for me so there was no need to alter.

The FW21 update is just to the armhole, its slightly higher and wider. There is no change to the rest of the fit as far as I know.
Thanks Sem - informed and helpful as ever!

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently visited the Mississauga Spier Mackay store. I was like a kid in a candy store. I did not have a well thought out plan of attack. After tying on several jackets, I nailed down my jacket size. I ended up buying a sample jacket: the Abraham Moon Brown Houndstooth sans ticket pocket. It’s labeled a 38, but fits more like a 40. It could be a little longer. Again, I was excited and forgot I have a similar jacket already.

8F381C7D-2DF7-4B99-8BDF-2486B4A46149.jpeg

D66811A1-1EDA-4B56-BBEF-D5E6C4A2523E.jpeg

F40C2898-B3D6-46CB-831D-55FDD6397DE7.jpeg

5A9DC9A1-A792-4AF2-ACCC-D0ADC5582607.jpeg

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently visited the Mississauga Spier Mackay store. I was like a kid in a candy store. I did not have a well thought out plan of attack. After tying on several jackets, I nailed down my jacket size. I ended up buying a sample jacket: the Abraham Moon Brown Houndstooth sans ticket pocket. It’s labeled a 38, but fits more like a 40. It could be a little longer. Again, I was excited and forgot I have a similar jacket already.

View attachment 1662897
View attachment 1662895
View attachment 1662896
View attachment 1662894
Looking good. I envy you. Love my jacket. Hate the ticket pocket.

cr2596

Reaction score
Looking good. I envy you. Love my jacket. Hate the ticket pocket.
I’ve yet to buy a jacket with the new patch ticket pocket. I’ve always thought it would be annoying and wondered if a tailor could remove it without issue? What say you? Would it mess anything up or be visible in any way?

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve yet to buy a jacket with the new patch ticket pocket. I’ve always thought it would be annoying and wondered if a tailor could remove it without issue? What say you? Would it mess anything up or be visible in any way?
I've considered asking my tailor the same question. Might do it next week when I pick some stuff up. It doesn't look like it should be any problem, but not sure. The stitching may be visible.

I never use the hip pockets, always keep the basting intact. I just think the ticket pocket is disruptive visually.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads