• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rob_Gaines

Reaction score
not sure how I feel about a brown hopsack TBH unless it's very chunky and textured. My brown jackets are patterned or have more of a definite texture e.g. tweed herringbone.
Agreed! I'm definitely avoiding anything that looks like an orphaned suit jacket.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’d hate to have to pick between gray and brown for a second jacket. Went brown today but gray gets the call later in the week
EFD4B67E-6333-47FA-8213-78AB5711C4C6.jpeg

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Navy
2. Brown
3. Green

In terms of versatility and SCs for me. Grey is not in my top 5 or even 10 when it comes to versatility. I only got grey jackets when all other things were comfortably covered.

As for brown hopsack/fresco, I have a few and enjoy them. They can be used as both separates and part of a suit if styled correctly.

MrFingers

Reaction score
1. Navy
2. Brown
3. Green

In terms of versatility and SCs for me. Grey is not in my top 5 or even 10 when it comes to versatility. I only got grey jackets when all other things were comfortably covered.

As for brown hopsack/fresco, I have a few and enjoy them. They can be used as both separates and part of a suit if styled correctly.
Agreed on this. Have gotten navy, browns and one green (literally only because I don’t like any of the greys offered right now) and they’re all incredibly versatile. Much more so than Gray in my opinion

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed on this. Have gotten navy, browns and one green (literally only because I don’t like any of the greys offered right now) and they’re all incredibly versatile. Much more so than Gray in my opinion
Agreed. Gray can be quite limited as a sportcoat. My bias is that I tend to go for a darker a top and lighter bottom when pairing sportcoat and trews, so this affects the sportcoats I choose.

@Rob_Gaines As for your next sportcoat other than navy, how do you plan on wearing it? Are you planning to wear it as an alternative or stand-in for a navy sportcoat? The purpose for said sportcoat should factor into how you intend to wear it

Brennenman

Reaction score
1. Navy
2. Brown
3. Green

I agree I’m the same way, I struggle with enjoying a gray sports coat even with my navy donegal pants I just don’t seemed to be satisfied with the look, I have a few navy blues but my go to for sports jackets is definitely brown, I did pick up a green blazer last night in exchange for a two liter Mountain Dew so I’m excited to try that out

wildcat10

Reaction score
Is there a general consensus on sizing for loafers? I wear 11.5 in Allen Edmonds. Same question for wingtip boots.
For S&M loafers I had to go a full size down from my Allen Edmonds wingtip bluchers. Sizing down by half gave me too much heel slip.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree I’m the same way, I struggle with enjoying a gray sports coat even with my navy donegal pants I just don’t seemed to be satisfied with the look, I have a few navy blues but my go to for sports jackets is definitely brown, I did pick up a green blazer last night in exchange for a two liter Mountain Dew so I’m excited to try that out
The northern lights look (light SC, dark trousers) makes you look top heavy. So it's not a flattering look for most people. Hence why the reverse is preferable.

With that being said, using a gray SC in a monochromatic look can look great. There are a couple of other looks that'll look good as well, but they're limited. So it's not a versatile choice. Especially not as a second SC imo. In addition to that, you need a large wardrobe to make a gray SC work well with several combinations.

Some inspiration https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...ation-and-more-hd-directors-cut-redux.429429/

Some balanced combinations with gray on top
images (1).jpeg

Last edited:

wildcat10

Reaction score
Suede chukka: 2 or 3 eyelets?

I want to pickup some suede chukkas during the shoe sale.

any thoughts on 2 eyelets versus 3 eyelets?

Is the difference just that 3 eyelets is supposed to be more formal? are either of the two options "better" in any way?

thanks

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought it's the other way around. Dark colors minimize; light colors emphasize.
Yes, sorry. I thought one thing but wrote another. That's what happens when you're in the middle of something else, yet try to do anotjer thing simultaneously. Top heavy, of course. Thanks for pointing it out.

Rob_Gaines

Reaction score
Agreed. Gray can be quite limited as a sportcoat. My bias is that I tend to go for a darker a top and lighter bottom when pairing sportcoat and trews, so this affects the sportcoats I choose.

@Rob_Gaines As for your next sportcoat other than navy, how do you plan on wearing it? Are you planning to wear it as an alternative or stand-in for a navy sportcoat? The purpose for said sportcoat should factor into how you intend to wear it
I will be wearing it with cuffed chinos, ocbds, and gray trousers on occasion. Heres a photo of my daily uniform.
20210728_080906_copy_600x800.jpg

Rob_Gaines

Reaction score

I may end up with a brown herringbone tweed for the F/W with an eye out for a brown check in S/S 2022. Not sure if i can buy an all purpose brown jacket

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads