• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2018 Moon wool and cashmere glen check and Botto flannels

6160083C-6E0B-4128-A382-CAE51F9D1A05.jpeg
9081909F-57D6-47D7-9A14-24A617C0CA9F.jpeg

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ended up purchasing one of those Cotton/Linen shirts I hear you folks talk about, along with a White Linen shirt. Probably will end up getting a few more shirts before end of the sale too tbh.

motorchang

Reaction score
I'd love to stock up some linen shirts for the summer but last time I bought one(the brown stripe one that is part of liquidation now), it was way too roomier in the chest and waist than my other SM shirts in the same size that I had to take it to the tailor. Don't really feel like doing that too often.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd love to stock up some linen shirts for the summer but last time I bought one(the brown stripe one that is part of liquidation now), it was way too roomier in the chest and waist than my other SM shirts in the same size that I had to take it to the tailor. Don't really feel like doing that too often.
I have to agree on this, I got a natural linen in 14.5x33 Slim in the summer and it fits like a 15.5x34 Contemporary. So much room everywhere. Still wear it, but will eventually need to go to the tailor with the polo shirts

cr2596

Reaction score
I have to agree on this, I got a natural linen in 14.5x33 Slim in the summer and it fits like a 15.5x34 Contemporary. So much room everywhere. Still wear it, but will eventually need to go to the tailor with the polo shirts
Linen is the only shirt material I buy Extra Slim.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes for whatever reason the all linen SM shirts have tended to run a bit on the roomy side. I don't know whether that was an intentional design choice, perhaps to offset anticipated shrinking, or whether a different factory does their linen stuff. I suspect the latter.

In any event, wanted to mention that the cotton-linen blend shirts do fit, in my experience, like your other SM cotton dress shirts, if they have any cotton-linens left in your size.

ebayhtl

Reaction score
(1) Probably a matter of personal taste - but how do you guys do the breaks for pants, and do you do different breaks for pants that you intend to wear with different types of shoes?

I like a no break for pants that I intend to wear with loafers/sneakers, and a slight break for those with serious work shoes. I think I didn't pull my high rise pants up as much as I should when I was measuring my pants hemming last time, so I ended up with shorter than expected pants by about 1 inch (barely misses the shoe tongue) - that appears to work great with loafers, but the missing inch means no wearing with serious shoes (unless I eliminate the cuff).

A hard thing to measure by myself, is my conclusion!

(2) where should the high rise's waistband hit on the waist - just below the belly button?

(these are the light brown Guabello high rise - great pants, just getting used to the high rise...)

IMG_20210130_215216.jpg

IMG_20210130_215223.jpg

IMG_20210130_215639.jpg

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
(1) Probably a matter of personal taste - but how do you guys do the breaks for pants, and do you do different breaks for pants that you intend to wear with different types of shoes?

I like a no break for pants that I intend to wear with loafers/sneakers, and a slight break for those with serious work shoes. I think I didn't pull my high rise pants up as much as I should when I was measuring my pants hemming last time, so I ended up with shorter than expected pants by about 1 inch (barely misses the shoe tongue) - that appears to work great with loafers, but the missing inch means no wearing with serious shoes (unless I eliminate the cuff).

A hard thing to measure by myself, is my conclusion!

(2) where should the high rise's waistband hit on the waist - just below the belly button?

(these are the light brown Guabello high rise - great pants, just getting used to the high rise...)

View attachment 1545805

View attachment 1545806

View attachment 1545807

I bring the shoes I intend to wear most with a pair of pants when I get the pants hemmed to make sure it’s the right length for those shoes

I either go for no break or slight break usually

I think your pants look fine- maybe slightly on the short side but ok for loafers and probably boots

it’s really personal preference though

ebayhtl

Reaction score
I bring the shoes I intend to wear most with a pair of pants when I get the pants hemmed to make sure it’s the right length for those shoes
Thanks. My tailor is solid and dirt cheap, but one of those hole in the wall places - I usually measure myself at home and bring it to her. Stuffed up this one a little, but I will try this length a few times before doing anything.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I either go for no break or slight break usually
Same. I take my new trousers to my tailor to hem and bring along a pair of shoes. He pins them each time, never asks me what length inseam I want to finish with. Its just his eye and his pins. I go slight break with suit pants and worsted separates; no break with more casual materials, ie chinos, moleskins, cords. Little longer in back at the heel than in front.

I have to say, even though I take the extra steps and pay the extra dough for a tailor's touch, I notice that my finished hemmed pants via my tailor are not consistent. While many are dead bang on, I have some that have finished too short, by up to an inch, and some that have finished too long by up to an inch. Where they are too short or too long, I have to take them back for a re-do.

Because re-dos are a pain in the neck, I have been telling my tailor recently to measure the inseam before sewing everything up per his pins, and to be sure that each trouser as pinned is within a half inch either way of 32" measured at the inseam. All of my 'just right' trousers fall within this sweet spot.

The other thing I am doing is trying SM's hemming service. No pins, just pick an inseam measurement. Waiting now to see the results of that experiment.

Jlee80

Reaction score
Same. I take my new trousers to my tailor to hem and bring along a pair of shoes. He pins them each time, never asks me what length inseam I want to finish with. Its just his eye and his pins. I go slight break with suit pants and worsted separates; no break with more casual materials, ie chinos, moleskins, cords. Little longer in back at the heel than in front.

I have to say, even though I take the extra steps and pay the extra dough for a tailor's touch, I notice that my finished hemmed pants via my tailor are not consistent. While many are dead bang on, I have some that have finished too short, by up to an inch, and some that have finished too long by up to an inch. Where they are too short or too long, I have to take them back for a re-do.

Because re-dos are a pain in the neck, I have been telling my tailor recently to measure the inseam before sewing everything up per his pins, and to be sure that each trouser as pinned is within a half inch either way of 32" measured at the inseam. All of my 'just right' trousers fall within this sweet spot.

The other thing I am doing is trying SM's hemming service. No pins, just pick an inseam measurement. Waiting now to see the results of that experiment.
My tailor is extremely solid. I know the sweet spot of the inseam and outseam I prefer. I can say that at least for me, using the outseam has delivered great results!
For my most recent order I opted for the S&M hemming. I’ll provide my feedback once they arrive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics