• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SchachMundialECapital

Reaction score
Earning my stripes...from S&M.

IMG_20201120_130935.jpg

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
clearance section has a lot of MTM samples, with no tags. Also has some returned items that have alterations already done to them. So that’s likely why 1/2 the stock in there isn’t fit to be put on website.

While there. I also saw a pair of sample jeans. It was a slim and way too tight for me.
Also saw a sample casual chino with cargo pockets that might be in the works

Will take pics for ya’ll when I go back to pick up my altered jacket next week
Damn S&M jeans? Yes please, but I hope there will be different inseams rather than one standard like 34” or 37”. I hate hemming jeans as it doesn’t look the same, and having this huge cuff isn’t as appealing as just one or two cuff rolls

Bidouleroux

Reaction score
Is it more gray or brown?
I just received mine as well and it looks much more brown than Burzan's picture or the pictures on S&M's site. Up close it looks as if someone spilled coffee all over an undyed wool glen check jacket and then added a green overcheck for kicks ?.

I tried taking some pictures myself, but it's hard to capture the real color even in indirect sunlight.
bZklMub.jpg

kfqYE8P.jpg

Taken with a Pixel 3

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone had asked about a comparison between the Fox Bros check jacket and the M&E swatch SKU S1635/15892/E5-MTO-J

Prior to this, I had asked the same thing of the always so helpful @Burzan. In addition to this, I asked him if he could also include last year's Fox Bros brown check jacket. He just provided me with the pics. Thanks.
IMG_20201120_154827_592.jpg
IMG_20201120_154830_540.jpg
IMG_20201120_154833_540.jpg

The Fox cloth has more brown in it than the M&E cloth (last pic). They both have grey-ish in them, but the latter has more of it than the former.

Last edited:

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burzan what do you prefer between this season’s M&E Glen check and the Fox? How do they compare in terms of weight, hand, and texture? Thanks.

Tough call, both are really great. I’d say the M&E is more of a traditional tweed feel, thick and a bit scratchy to touch. Very similar feel to some of the moon tweeds that spier has tan in the past. The fox is heavy and dense feeling with a smoother hand, almost stiffer feeling overall. The M&E might have the slight edge in versatility as the undyed wool works with a ton of colors as it’s very neutral.

I just received mine as well and it looks much more brown than Burzan's picture or the pictures on S&M's site. Up close it looks as if someone spilled coffee all over an undyed wool glen check jacket and then added a green overcheck for kicks ?.

I tried taking some pictures myself, but it's hard to capture the real color even in indirect sunlight.
bZklMub.jpg

kfqYE8P.jpg

Taken with a Pixel 3

You really do need to get up close to appreciate the brown in it. Once you start moving away it appears more grey

araziza

Reaction score
Wow! What size is this? Why Isn't This Option Available (Minnis Tobacco Fresco) Online... Do We Need To Contact Each Store, Because This Is Not Listed On Website.
Heh, yeah, I saw this when I was in the store on Tuesday, wondered if some lucky guy from the forum was going to grab it. There were a few other interesting items. For everyone who has been responding to this, from what I've seen, S&M lists mainly recent collection items as clearance on the website, but stuff that doesn't sell is eventually taken offline. The older items, especially the stuff that doesn't sell over several years, are still available in store, eventually at further discounted rates. They're mixed in with some returns, samples of products that never made it to the collection or production, and M2O/M2M items that either didn't work, didn't get bought, needed to be replaced etc... This stuff never makes it online, and is really only available to people who come in. The sizes are eclectic and scattered, and probably wouldn't be worth the time and effort that would be required to catalog, post, and move it, especially when you consider the after-sales issues with items people aren't satisfied with.
Personally, I have a significant number of shirts from them that I've found hunting through the clearance shelf. Just lucky I work close to the store.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tough call, both are really great. I’d say the M&E is more of a traditional tweed feel, thick and a bit scratchy to touch. Very similar feel to some of the moon tweeds that spier has tan in the past. The fox is heavy and dense feeling with a smoother hand, almost stiffer feeling overall. The M&E might have the slight edge in versatility as the undyed wool works with a ton of colors as it’s very neutral.

You really do need to get up close to appreciate the brown in it. Once you start moving away it appears more grey

Do people still buy scratchy heavy stiff tweed jackets and coats when there are softer cashmere/alpaca blends around at the same price? I presumed most have gone for the more luxurious, lighter, and just as warm fabrics instead. I personally prefer to have thinner and lighter garments everytime when I don't have to sacrifice the warmth.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do people still buy scratchy heavy stiff tweed jackets and coats when there are softer cashmere/alpaca blends around at the same price? I presumed most have gone for the more luxurious, lighter, and just as warm fabrics instead. I personally prefer to have thinner and lighter garments everytime when I don't have to sacrifice the warmth.
I do because I love the texture and feel of a tweed. Like nothing can beat a nice Harris Tweed

JayDee90

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, do you live in an region that has 4 seasons? i.e. do you experience a true winter where you are?

Duppy

Reaction score
Sizing advice from Spier was spot on for the shawl cardigan. This is a medium on me, large knit polo under. I wear a 40R contemporary jacket.

View attachment 1500522
What’s the verdict on the knit polo sizing? I’ve been looking at these, but after sizing issues with last season’s turtleneck, I’m hesitant to purchase.
I wear 40 in contemporary jackets and medium in most polos.

thanks

Idesofmarch17

Reaction score
Received both the emerald and beige field jackets in large. I’m a 40r but purchased large because of long arms. Slightly big in the waist but once covid is over I’ll have it taken in. Both are extraordinary jackets but probably going to return the beige as it just doesn’t work with my skin color. The emerald is gorgeous and it’s instantly my favorite piece in the wardrobe. Now just trying to convince myself not to exchange the beige for the maroon...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads