• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

facetious

Reaction score
Does anyone have intel on the sleeve length of the new chunky cardigans?

I am 6’3, 150lbs, so I need a long sleeve and a trim waist! I see the sleeve length on a medium is 24.8 apparently. Anyone know where that is measured from? If it helps at all my suit jackets have a 25.5 inch sleeve length from the shoulder.

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had no idea there was such a strong opinion on wearing black. I think the first sweater that caught my eye in the latest batch was the black quarter zip. I've always liked wearing black, though admittedly since I've started wearing more S&M I probably don't wear black as often as I did a few years ago. Still something I consider when getting dressed, however I also don't have a traditional or classic style by any means.

There's this one outfit I saw Bradd Pitt in a while back - pretty simple but I thought it worked really well so I've been hoping S&M would come out with a black polo.

View attachment 1472289
There’s nothing wrong with a black polo, I have a long sleeve one from a different maker and I love it. A black suit though? Now that’s a different story.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My most recent MTO order was in June and it took approximately 4-5 weeks to arrive (live near the store). I didn't receive any update/shipping emails. All things considered, I was impressed with the turnaround.
Solid. Good deal. Appreciate it.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does the chunky cardigan have a separate sizing that's not yet updated? The fact that it shares the same sizing with other sweaters puzzles me. Based on the size chart, I'm a M but based on Instagram comments, I'm a S.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Screenshot_20201007_084221.jpg

Really not my colour, but still considering getting it ???

emiratiAL

Reaction score
See my post from a few pages back with pics.

Thanks, I read your comments with interest.

Just to clarify, from what I read it sounds like you sized up for the coat, is that correct?

However, the S&M website is saying stick to your normal SC size.

Am I missing something, or has the cut and size changed??

caktaylor

Reaction score

Just to clarify, from what I read it sounds like you sized up for the coat, is that correct?

The first year S&M made outwear, they didn't account for wearing a sport coat (or suit jacket) under it. On their website, S&M advised to size up to accommodate the sport coat.

In subsequent years, S&M have taken that into account and now advise that you purchase your sport coat size (40 sport coat equals 40 overcoat). However, a number of forum users have found that they still need to size up to get a proper fit. For others, taking the online sizing advice works. I guess body types are different.

I would recommend using the provided size guide that shows the actual product dimensions for any S&M products you buy. I've had great success using the size guide. And of course, you can always call or email them to confirm your size or ask any questions.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The first year S&M made outwear, they didn't account for wearing a sport coat (or suit jacket) under it. On their website, S&M advised to size up to accommodate the sport coat.

In subsequent years, S&M have taken that into account and now advise that you purchase your sport coat size (40 sport coat equals 40 overcoat). However, a number of forum users have found that they still need to size up to get a proper fit. For others, taking the online sizing advice works. I guess body types are different.

I would recommend using the provided size guide that shows the actual product dimensions for any S&M products you buy. I've had great success using the size guide. And of course, you can always call or email them to confirm your size or ask any questions.
The Outerwear is based on the contemporary block. For me, I have found that if you are in between sizes (like me, I am about 35" or so, and 36 works well), or on the slim side of the spectrum that the same size "should" work well. However, if you are a solid size (say 40" chest and 40 suit jacket size) and/or contemporary fit you should size up. However, like caktaylor said, all bodies are different.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Using size charts is a good idea but unfortunately Spier has a history of either not updating them or making mistakes. I hope the charts for the current items are both up to date and correct but if past is any indicator, best advice will come from those who buy and give the rest of us their take on sizing, fit and quality. Sadly, Rick's been away from this thread (though active on IG), otherwise he would confirm or clarify certain things. Rick, you coming back, man? @spiermackay

loduN

Reaction score
Someone who owns this navy hopsack SC would be kind enough to post pictures ?

I'm thinking about getting it as I'm willing to try an hopsack jacket but I'm afraid it would be too dark or too close to an orphaned suit jacket. Can't return final sales.
Thanks in advance.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone who owns this navy hopsack SC would be kind enough to post pictures ?

I'm thinking about getting it as I'm willing to try an hopsack jacket but I'm afraid it would be too dark or too close to an orphaned suit jacket. Can't return final sales.
Thanks in advance.
Is the Angelico Bright Navy Hopsack available in your size? You can find lots of pictures of that on this thread; it’s less dark AND has 3 patch pockets, so it’ll never look like an orphaned suit jacket.

loduN

Reaction score
Is the Angelico Bright Navy Hopsack available in your size? You can find lots of pictures of that on this thread; it’s less dark AND has 3 patch pockets, so it’ll never look like an orphaned suit jacket.

Thanks for your reply.
Yes it is available in my size and I could be interested aswell. Isn't the fabric too heavy for a all-year round SC ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads