• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Riva You're the guy who posted a picture with over 200 clothing items right? How are you bored man? I went to Wal-Mart to pick up a couple things and I threw on chino's for the first time in months because I said why not? Start wearing your clothes and you won't have a idle mind.

Clothing is meant to be worn.

Bored because I got stuff that are impossible to wear at home so yea need to start shopping for new things again to get rid of the boredom. Yawn...

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Read a book. Find a new hobby other than shopping and expecting S&M to cater for your personal needs.

SM has satisfied me for years and I expect nothing less with the upcoming new models outside the typical suits and SJs. I've done all other men's hobbies so I'll stay here for a while.

Imperatores

Reaction score
Since when? I bought both Havana and SM contemporary for years and they are a pretty close match, some tolerances aside

Agreed. I would say the main difference is that the SM contemporary jackets have a bit more room in the sleeves, as well as the added jacket length on the Neapolitan cut jackets.

Imperatores

Reaction score
Sounds ideal; so - take same size in Contemporary Fit as Havana?

Yes. That's what I've done, with good results. Be aware that the Neapolitan cut jackets have slightly extended shoulders as well. It's not enough to be noticeable in my case, but if the Havana is already on the wide side it may be worth taking into consideration.

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SuSu Havana sizing is really not consistent, they can vary wildly - their factory tolerances are crazy. For example, I’ve had some 40R’s that fit like a 38 which I’ve then had to exchange (for the same size), and the replacement has measured almost an inch bigger.

My experience is that the Havana is slimmer than SM contemporary in chest, waist and sleeves. I have tested around 30 SuSu Havana jackets vs around 35 SM jackets that I currently own.

SM sizing is a lot more consistent, with exception to the recent seersucker that everyone has been complaining about (I’ve not tried it).

Imperatores

Reaction score
My experience is that the Havana is slimmer than SM contemporary in chest, waist and sleeves.

This is probably true, but the difference is much smaller than a full size up or down in the SM contemporary. There's always going to be some level of uncertainty when trying a different brand, but I would still say you should start with the same size and see how that works out. The Havana is at least supposed to fit closer to the SM contemporary than the SM slim, going by the now removed sizing chart on the SuSu website.

Your sample size is much larger than mine though, so your recommendations definitely carry more weight.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SuSu Havana sizing is really not consistent, they can vary wildly - their factory tolerances are crazy. For example, I’ve had some 40R’s that fit like a 38 which I’ve then had to exchange (for the same size), and the replacement has measured almost an inch bigger.

My experience is that the Havana is slimmer than SM contemporary in chest, waist and sleeves. I have tested around 30 SuSu Havana jackets vs around 35 SM jackets that I currently own.

SM sizing is a lot more consistent, with exception to the recent seersucker that everyone has been complaining about (I’ve not tried it).
This is true. On paper Havana=Contemp but in person SM’s Contemp is slightly more generous. I buy the same size in both but can breathe better in my SM jackets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads