• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
I wonder if anybody can shed some light on a query that I have. I recently bought these trousers from Luxire in December:

https://luxire.com/products/vbc-_mid-grey_worsted_flannel_nov2019_599-101_513_vitale-barberis#/

View attachment 1362373

I am considering my first purchase from S&M and my eye has been drawn to a sportcoat in VBC medium gray flannel.

https://www.spierandmackay.com/vbc-medium-gray-flannel-neapolitan-cut.html

View attachment 1362374

My question is: are these two items made from the same cloth? I am colourblind so do not pick up on the subtleties of colour particularly well. However, I would like to know if I could combine the separates and make a suit.

Thanks in advance.

They are not the same. In the fabric description, your pants are a 10oz worsted flannel, while the S&M jacket is a 12oz woolen flannel. There are probably slight differences in depth of color and certainly a difference texture, which I can sort of make out just from the pictures. Woolen flannels tend to be richer in color because they are made up of a wider variety of thicker yarns all twisted together, plus the milling effect to fluff up the fabric surface will further add a richness that you won't get with worsted flannel.

Worsted flannels are harder wearing and more practical as trousers, but woolen flannels just look and feel more luxurious. Actually, as I write this, I am actually wearing a pair of pants made from that same swatchbook that the S&M jacket's fabric came from. It feels wonderfully extravagant and is delightfully versatile: worn with the matching jacket it is all business, but can easily match with an OCBD, polo, or cardigan for feeling put together while sitting at the same table as someone in a hoodie or t-shirt. Maybe you can get the S&M jacket and have luxire make you a matching pair of pants? For $200 it'd be a steal for something you can wear all the time.

Last edited:

TBY

Reaction score
They are not the same. In the fabric description, your pants are a 10oz worsted flannel, while the S&M jacket is a 12oz woolen flannel. There are probably slight differences in depth of color and certainly a difference texture, which I can sort of make out just from the pictures. Woolen flannels tend to be richer in color because they are made up of a wider variety of thicker yarns all twisted together, plus the milling effect to fluff up the fabric surface will further add a richness that you won't get with worsted flannel.

Worsted flannels are harder wearing and more practical as trousers, but woolen flannels just look and feel more luxurious. Actually, as I write this, I am actually wearing a pair of pants made from that same swatchbook that the S&M jacket's fabric came from. It feels wonderfully extravagant and is delightfully versatile: worn with the matching jacket it is all business, but can easily match with an OCBD, polo, or cardigan for feeling put together while sitting at the same table as someone in a hoodie or t-shirt. Maybe you can get the S&M jacket and have luxire make you a matching pair of pants? For $200 it'd be a steal for something you can wear all the time.

Thank you for the very helpful reply.

OuterHeaven

Reaction score
A3F83ACC-6801-458A-BC20-8D847CFDFFCC.jpeg
274F6499-A37A-4D93-939C-64AE45D504B7.jpeg

This might be a bit too early, but can you make sportcoats in brown houndstooth pattern next spring summer? Preferably in Neo cut. Pics for inspiration.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Linen wide stripe shirts are pretty much my favorite shirt this season so far! It fits just like other shirts but the stripe and collar are such killer ?
View attachment 1362284

Holy lack of cropping, Batman! For a second, I thought you included a bonus photo of your faucet, lotion(?), and soap dispenser.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I wonder if anybody can shed some light on a query that I have. I recently bought these trousers from Luxire in December:

https://luxire.com/products/vbc-_mid-grey_worsted_flannel_nov2019_599-101_513_vitale-barberis#/

View attachment 1362373

I am considering my first purchase from S&M and my eye has been drawn to a sportcoat in VBC medium gray flannel.

https://www.spierandmackay.com/vbc-medium-gray-flannel-neapolitan-cut.html

View attachment 1362374

My question is: are these two items made from the same cloth? I am colourblind so do not pick up on the subtleties of colour particularly well. However, I would like to know if I could combine the separates and make a suit.

Thanks in advance.

No. The pants are worsted. The jacket is flannel. Similar colour. Very different cloth.

MellonC

Reaction score
@spiermackay is the Navy-Travel suit brighter than core Navy? Also, is the travel suit cut longer from what I'm seeing on the site?

Yes. I had to return mine because it was way too light. IMHO, it should have been called bright navy or something else.

I will say, however, that it the color could work for certain casual styles or for occasions other than a traditional navy is called for. Say a day time wedding, or a date, or weekend lunch or such. You get the idea.

I think this is the true navy - somewhere between deep dark blue and purple. Like this pic below.

1585405819100.jpeg

MellonC

Reaction score
Yes. I had to return mine because it was way too light. IMHO, it should have been called bright navy or something else.

I will say, however, that it the color could work for certain casual styles or for occasions other than a traditional navy is called for. Say a day time wedding, or a date, or weekend lunch or such. You get the idea.

I think this is the true navy - somewhere between deep dark blue and purple. Like this pic below.

View attachment 1362485

Here is another example of how different shades of navy works with different skin tones.

Look at Wolf Blitzer(far left) and Sanjay Gupta (far right) From CNN.

1585410377124.png

You can see here that Wolf’s skin tone is so white, almost Larry Bird white, that it’s pretty much clear, meaning that only transparent thing is the blood in his capillaries; thus, pink. He looks great with his traditional navy jacket. Sanjay, on the other hand, was blessed with some pigments in his DNA, and is able to pull off a much lighter shade of navy.
(The British dude in the middle needs to re-learn his color palette, on the other hand)

Most guys think that you can create a color pallet just by matching shirts and ties. Not true. Your suit jacket is such a large part of eye perception that no amount of contrasting color on your tie can overcome a wrong color choice in your jacket. (This is especially true for us who do video conferencing daily now that we are working from home).

Last edited:

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is another example of how different shades of navy works with different skin tones.

Look at Wolf Blitzer(far left) and Sanjay Gupta (far right) From CNN.

View attachment 1362518

You can see here that Wolf’s skin tone is so white, almost Larry Bird white, that it’s pretty much clear, meaning that only transparent thing is the blood in his capillaries; thus, pink. He looks great with his traditional navy jacket. Sanjay, on the other hand, was blessed with some pigments in his DNA, and is able to pull off a much lighter shade of navy.
(The British dude in the middle needs to re-learn his color palette, on the other hand)

Most guys think that you can create a color pallet just by matching shirts and ties. Not true. Your suit jacket is such a large part of eye perception that no amount of contrasting color on your tie can overcome a wrong color choice in your jacket. (This is especially true for us who do video conferencing daily now that we are working from home).
So pasty guys like me (and Wolf) should go dark navy and avoid the lighter navy shade?

MellonC

Reaction score
So pasty guys like me (and Wolf) should go dark navy and avoid the lighter navy shade?

You can decide for yourself by looking at Richard Quest (the Britich anchor in the middle of my pic) in a real navy color jacket below. You can actually see his face and not washed out like the earlier pic.

1585422671931.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics