• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

varsityreds0123

Reaction score
The lower gorge looks classic and much more relaxed. I hope to see it on some RTW releases in the future.

Edit: I would tend to agree with the poster above. It does seem to accentuate the shoulders, so I would lean against opting for a lower gorge for those with overly sloped or narrow shoulders.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The lower gorge has a more retro look to it. old school feel some may say.

Reminds me a lot of the type of cut Maslow likes to do for his commissions. I'd say quite a few asian tailor houses have something somewhat similar. Anthology, Prologue, B&Tailor Etc.

bnd6xc

Reaction score
Lower gorge is cool— I think it works well in the context of @Burzan’s styling. No tie, casual shirting fabric, etc., and many jackets to choose from.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first jacket really accentuates your dropped shoulder.

I see what you mean, I think I am also just standing pretty slouched which is not helping lol. Here's a couple more data points.

boot_owl

Reaction score
Reminds me a lot of the type of cut Maslow likes to do for his commissions. I'd say quite a few asian tailor houses have something somewhat similar. Anthology, Prologue, B&Tailor Etc.

i think you’re bang on the money here, I’m a fan of all these makers mentioned and I love the lower gorge too.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Burzan too funny, just finalized an MTM order lower gorge, myself! I think it looks great in your latest pics

Nice! Any preview of the cloth?

Now I get a little time with this one to see how I like it before I have to make a quick decision on styling details of the summer tweed when it drops.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Burzan that looks to be a worsted check jacket? is it?

I've been looking for a tweedy looking jacket, but without the warmth, I run very hot.

Where is that fabric located in MTO?

How much was that jacket?
I see what you mean, I think I am also just standing pretty slouched which is not helping lol. Here's a couple more data points.

View attachment 1301213
View attachment 1301214
yeah I take it back, this looks great, doesn't look nearly as low as I thought.

Johnsson

Reaction score
The first jacket really accentuates your dropped shoulder.
Something I've never really considered, but I think @Burzan illustrates well here is that a higher gorge may appear better balanced on gentlemen with more shoulder slope.

edit: Not to disparage your jacket, which looks nice. I just think higher looks better on you.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Burzan that looks to be a worsted check jacket? is it?

I've been looking for a tweedy looking jacket, but without the warmth, I run very hot.

Where is that fabric located in MTO?

How much was that jacket?

yeah I take it back, this looks great, doesn't look nearly as low as I thought.

it is a worsted, 370gsm. It’s not on the site though, I asked to have it ordered in.

the code is 826044

Price is $798 USD for MTO full canvas.

Wow the slouching was dramatic!

In these pics, the gorge looks very good actually!! On the first it felt too low.

thanks!

Something I've never really considered, but I think @Burzan illustrates well here is that a higher gorge may appear better balanced on gentlemen with more shoulder slope.

edit: Not to disparage your jacket, which looks nice. I just think higher looks better on you.

No, I totally agree. I think the higher gorge gives a bit of a broadening look to the shoulders. It’s very flattering and why it’s my go to.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads