• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I received the suit I ordered quicker than I expected, on a stat holiday no less. Happy Thanksgiving indeed, haha. Okay, fair warning, verbal diarrhea/initial thoughts below. Sorry I don't have pics, I might take some after I take it to the tailor to get it adjusted.

This is the specific suit I purchased in 44 Contemporary: https://www.spierandmackay.com/lt-grey-houndstooth-contemporary-fit.html

My #1 choice was actually the Light Grey in the same cut, but it was out of stock, so the Houndstooth was #2. Initially I wasn't so hot on it (I'm not a houndstooth guy), but in person the fabric and pattern looks great and I have no regrets on that.

First thing, I wanna give a shoutout to S&M employees Ryan, Sherry, and Michael. They were a big help with all my inane prattle and questions while I was being all panicky last week haha. You got a good crew, Rick.

So, I don't really own many suits. In fact, I've never really bought many suits. It wasn't really a worthwhile investment for me for most of the last few years because my weight was in constant flux as I was trying to lose a lot of weight, and sometimes succeeding and sometimes failing while I yo-yo'd all over the place haha. I currently own two that I got a couple years ago from Tip-Top, and in the past I've gotten one from Moores, and... that's about it. So currently, my height is 5'9" and my weight is 213 lbs (the goal is to get down to about 185 by February or earlier).

But I gotta say, hands down, this Peak Lapel in Light Grey Houndstooth is probably the nicest suit I've worn and it's at a fraction of the price of any of those others. I mean, just in terms of value, this thing is outstanding, and surprisingly, it fits way better than I expected. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's still a bit tight in the waist. I gotta let the pants out 1-1.5" and the jacket a tad as well if that's doable. But I'm not sure if I even wanna do that at the moment simply cause I've finally gotten back on track with my weight loss in a healthy and sustainable manner. I've lost eight pounds and an inch in the last six weeks, And I'm thinking by the end of the year, this suit will probably fit just fine in the waist as is (though I may still have to get it taken out simply cause I wanna wear it to my cousin's wedding at the end of the month and then I'll get it tailored again). If I have to give it a descriptor, this is a Statement Suit. You put this on knowing you'll be noticed.

Anyways, I got this suit on clearance at $250, and... ****, it feels like it's worth three times that. No joke. I mean, look, I'm not as experienced with suits as most of you, but I've tried on my fair share in the last few weeks, and this suit has fit better, looked better, and felt better than the lions share of the 6/7/8 hundred dollar suits I've tried on at Moores (Companies like Jos Bank, CK, Egara, a bunch of other randos I'm not familiar with but that have fancy names and the high price tag to boot). It's a real statement suit. I thought the peak lapels would make me look like a goofball. I saw the picture and thought they'd look cool, but also, I am not Harvey Specter so I thought I'd look like an idiot, but... no, no I ******* like them! It completely stands out from the crowd, and I feel good in it. The shoulders fit perfectly. I bought one of the last 44 Contemporary Fits that they had, and I was worried about ordering online, but... the fit guide is pretty accurate, and I shouldn't have worried at all. It was dead-on. I went into it assuming I'd have to alter the waist and jacket a bit. I also thought I'd have to shorten the jacket since I'm a 44S in the TipTop suits that I own (which are from their defunct Grafton line, but I actually really like those suits a lot and I'm sad they killed that line), but the jacket length is actually pretty perfect. My main worry was that it would look like a terrible 80s suit, boxy and ****, but no, it feels very comfortable, the shoulders look really nice and much softer than I expected. It's a better fitting shoulder than my other suits. I haven't yanked the threads between the vents yet, but I'll do that shortly, that'll probably help with the slightly tight fit when I button up the jacket.

The lining of the jacket is really nice as well. The other suits that I own are fused (as far as my limited suit knowledge goes), and I guess this one is half-canvas, right? It's hard to explain, but it feels a lot lighter, more comfortable, and more like a second skin than a piece of cloth, like it feels airy. Is that a weird description?

The seat and thighs of the pants are fantastic as well! I've tried on some slim fit suits and some regular fit suits, and they always feel either way too tight or too loose and baggy and make me look even heavier (which is a feeling I really hate). But these pants, they are so, so comfortable. They need to be hemmed (obviously), but other than that, other than the waist, they feel and look good.

Right, so those are my initial thoughts. I mean, this is a value that just can't be beat. It also means that I will definitely be purchasing more S&M suits in the future once I put my new MBA to good use and get a better paying gig haha. But I mean, this suit at $250 on clearance? It's like a damn lottery ticket win. I got my eyes on that Petrol Blue Contemporary Fit for my next go-around.

Also Rick, my mom says the suit looks good, and that is an older Punjabi woman telling you that you guys made a damn good suit.

Final thought: I hope S&M experiments a bit more with color/fabric/details in the future. I haven't tried a SuitSupply suit, but there's definitely some cool colors that they have that S&M doesn't currently offer (I love the Napoli Light Blue Plain that they have, it's a cool frost blue color that i just really dig, and in the future, I'd like to get an olive and burgundy suit, but this is just my random thoughts, not a demand haha).

So yeah, this is a pretty ******* cool suit. I'm pretty much done with stores like TipTop and Moore's if this is value, quality, and pricing I can get from S&M suits.

Last edited:

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably Black Friday judging by last year's sales. Happy belated Canadian Thanksgiving by the way to all the Canadians in this thread, including Rick & co!

exfalso

Reaction score
Oh, I read it right the first time. You really should not buy a burgundy suit OR an olive suit.

Nah, there is absolutely nothing wrong about burgundy or olive suits.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Olive I've seen done well. I guess with either color it's all about the right shade.

74f45ba9853d0f173fd65aa84e9a5069--khaki-suits-mens-suits.jpg

I want to see the burgundy slub sportcoat and how you guys pair that thing when it drops.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No question you can do an olive suit well, as shown above (it is not easy, though and there are more bad than good examples) but for someone who is just beginning to build a wardrobe, neither olive nor burgundy should be among first suits to buy.

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, I read it right the first time. You really should not buy a burgundy suit OR an olive suit.
Why not? I got the staples, Navy and Charcoal, got a sweet peak lapel houndstooth in light grey, and now let's get a bit creative, no?

I also want an ivory dinner jacket, but I have no occasions to wear it to at the moment.

exfalso

Reaction score
No question you can do an olive suit well, as shown above (it is not easy, though and there are more bad than good examples) but for someone who is just beginning to build a wardrobe, neither olive nor burgundy should be among first suits to buy.

Nah, there is absolutely nothing wrong about burgundy or olive suits.

Yes, probably not for the very first suit, but who cares?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
polymshamy