• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chunky cardigan came in and, as the youth say, she’s thicc. If I wasn’t so cheap, I’d probably double back and buy another one. Looking forward to breaking it out soon.

I was hoping to get one, but missed the boat on the restock. I'm still have the dark blue one I bought last year NWTs sitting in my closet.

jimrude

Reaction score
Q: re tailoring of a S&M Neo cut sport coat

So I've ordered my first OTR S&M sport coat: here

I need a 44 to accommodate my shoulders (I'm probably a 42-43 chest), but my waist is 34.

I generally need removal of collar roll, and waist suppression. Will those be relatively easy, cost-effective alterations in a S&M OTR coat?

TIA

msanchez0125

Reaction score
Just received the cotton shawl collar cardigan in navy. The cotton is very soft, and there is a lot of visual interest in the differing weave patterns. Overall, this is a lot better than my old J Crew version.

For sizing, I purchased a Large at 5' 6", 170, and I wear a 42S Contemporary jacket. The sizing chart has changed since I purchased it, so it looks like medium may have been a better option. I ran this through the washer and dryer and it's now down to a wearable size. Still a little bit big as I prefer a slim fit.

Attachments

• 20211030_121412.jpg
    20211030_121412.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 20211030_121416.jpg
    20211030_121416.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 139
  • 20211030_121430.jpg
    20211030_121430.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 124

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m excited about those to the extent ithey indicate Spier will be dropping more casual suits or sport coats. I’ve already got like 5 navy sport coats, so it’s hard to justify another.

Elastic waisted stretch fabric suits next year to keep me interested. Crap I just had to correct myself and ordered 6 unstructured sportjackets at 40% off at another affiliate's site. Hard to refuse anti-navy summer colors.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Just received the cotton shawl collar cardigan in navy. The cotton is very soft, and there is a lot of visual interest in the differing weave patterns. Overall, this is a lot better than my old J Crew version.

For sizing, I purchased a Large at 5' 6", 170, and I wear a 42S Contemporary jacket. The sizing chart has changed since I purchased it, so it looks like medium may have been a better option. I ran this through the washer and dryer and it's now down to a wearable size. Still a little bit big as I prefer a slim fit.
That looks like a good fit to me. I don’t like a shawl collar cardigan to be too fitted. I think of it as a nice sport coat alternative on cold days.

blewnote1

Reaction score
Thanks!

This is the Small. I normally wear a 38S Contemporary in S&M coats (and then still need to have the sleeves shortened). I also mostly wear neo cut, if that matters for reference.

I actually picked up the Small and the Medium because they were both in stock and they suggested sizing up if wearing over coats. I wasn't planning on doing that, but I did want to wear it layered over cable knits and scarves and stuff, so I wanted to check. But the Medium swims on me, so it will be the one going back.

On review, the one fit thing I'd change based on these photos is that I adjusted the drawstring before putting the scarf on - which then takes up more room inside. The fit was better before the scarf went on, but that would be an easy fix by slightly letting out the string again. I didn't fuss over it though, since it was way too hot to actually be wearing it!

Does that mean you can let the waist relax a bit by un-cinching the drawstring? The medium may have been loose but that small looks rather tight fitting for an outwear jacket to my eyes.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for feedback on the fit of this sport coat. This is the Abraham moon brown houndstooth in Neo cut that was released FW ’20. It’s the drapiest sport coat I own, and because of this, it’s taking me a while to really embrace it. In certain areas, it feels baggy, and other times I feel it’s too long, and the proportions/balance off. This all could be in my head, but maybe it’s projecting a different kind of silhouette, to which I need to adjust. Maybe it’s the cut of the fabric? I’m wearing a 38L contemporary Neo cut in this sport coat.
IMG_9852_2.jpg

IMG_9853_2.jpg

1635633568306.jpeg

IMG_9856.jpg

Attachments

• 1635633689566.jpeg
    1635633689566.jpeg
    399.1 KB · Views: 92

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it looks great @wilcthree. I agree with @ericgereghty on shortening the sleeves a bit.

I have a similiar jacket that feels a bit loose to me, but looks alright in the mirror, and drapes especially clean over my back.

You have longer legs, so the button stance and the length of the jacket looks proportionate to my eyes and creates a balanced silhouette.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many thanks, sirs. @FlyingHorker @ericgereghty Duly noted re: the sleeves.

I have a similar jacket that feels a bit loose to me, but looks alright in the mirror, and drapes especially clean over my back.< Yes, this is exactly the effect this sportcoat has on me. It's a tricky dynamic where my eyes tell me the silhouette and drape look good, but my body feels it's a bit loose.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoreyHalye