• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brennenman

Reaction score
hey guys I plan to order a MTO jacket with the sale going on but am not sure whether to select the normal gorge or lower gorge? Any input, not really sure if there is a big difference? On the MTO description is said lower gorge was for a 1920-1930's look?

Also can anyone confirm if fabric code is what ring jacket used? I was trying to find a jacket with exact fabric code to help me see what my jacket would look like
View attachment 1667548 View attachment 1667549
View attachment 1667550
I have a lower gorge jacket from Tom James and I’m not the biggest fan of it. It’s more if a nineties lower gorge and at least the on my body it doesn’t look quite as proportional as I would like my that’s just my experience

Brennenman

Reaction score
I could be wrong, and perhaps way off on an ever sensitive subject but it seems this is possibly implying a loaded comment on a person of colour's skin.

While indirect and implicit, and therefore hard to discern the implied meaning, and while not an epithet as such, this still suggestively represents the notion carried by an 'epithet', based on Google's definition of the word as follows:
'phrase expressing a quality or attribute regarded as characteristic of the person or thing mentioned.'

To be specific, this is expressing that it's 'amazing' that a person of colour's skin is OK after spending time in the sun.

Speculation could be offered about what is suggested here, but that might be going further (if I've already gone there) into the realm of the unfair as an upfront response.

Perhaps the comment in the first instance should be limited to pointing out these online forums still represent, virtually, a social 'polis' by the ancient Greek definition, and as the Greeks said, a healthy polis only remains healthy if all the citizens are civic-minded enough to hold each other to account for civil discourse.

So if I'm off, then fair enough, and the possibility remains here for me to be stood corrected as to any possible intent.

But there's been enough opinions given for credit to be drawn down enough to respond in kind, with at least an open opinion on an area which the recent history of social media clearly shows us that more civic-minded responses are required by more of the citizens in order to keep this kind of polis healthy, and an area that has been broached here in a way that has, perhaps merely unfortunately, sailed too close to suggestively uncivil ambiguity.
That’s a whole lot of words for something that could be said it less then two sentences

Last edited:

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
San Diego Blues...

View attachment 1667442

Well This Is Embarrasing, They Left Without Me!

View attachment 1667444

View attachment 1667445

Swim Or Be Eaten...
View attachment 1667446

King Fish, He's A Bad Man, He Typed A Long Text Message While Playing His Guitar! He's Bad...

View attachment 1667447

SD is a great town! My brother and 1 son and their families both live there.

and you were killing it as always

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong, and perhaps way off on an ever sensitive subject but it seems this is possibly implying a loaded comment on a person of colour's skin.

While indirect and implicit, and therefore hard to discern the implied meaning, and while not an epithet as such, this still suggestively represents the notion carried by an 'epithet', based on Google's definition of the word as follows:
'phrase expressing a quality or attribute regarded as characteristic of the person or thing mentioned.'

To be specific, this is expressing that it's 'amazing' that a person of colour's skin is OK after spending time in the sun.

Speculation could be offered about what is suggested here, but that might be going further (if I've already gone there) into the realm of the unfair as an upfront response.

Perhaps the comment in the first instance should be limited to pointing out these online forums still represent, virtually, a social 'polis' by the ancient Greek definition, and as the Greeks said, a healthy polis only remains healthy if all the citizens are civic-minded enough to hold each other to account for civil discourse.

So if I'm off, then fair enough, and the possibility remains here for me to be stood corrected as to any possible intent.

But there's been enough opinions given for credit to be drawn down enough to respond in kind, with at least an open opinion on an area which the recent history of social media clearly shows us that more civic-minded responses are required by more of the citizens in order to keep this kind of polis healthy, and an area that has been broached here in a way that has, perhaps merely unfortunately, sailed too close to suggestively uncivil ambiguity.

WTF dude? Why would I go into such a subject when I'm a man of color myself? Read my post as "the sun was so intense that it burned your brand new garment but your skin came out ok". Seems like it's easier to talk when everyone in the room is white huh?

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a lower gorge jacket from Tom James and I’m not the biggest fan of it. It’s more if a nineties lower gorge and at least the on my body it doesn’t look quite as proportional as I would like my that’s just my experience

+1. It's not even about a particular era gorge positioning but all about what your body needs to look good. Lower gorge, bigger lapels, all trends which people are supposed to ignore and focus on measurements and elements that actually improve upon how others perceive your body.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WTF dude? Why would I go into such a subject when I'm a man of color myself? Read my post as "the sun was so intense that it burned your brand new garment but your skin came out ok". Seems like it's easier to talk when everyone in the room is white huh?
Well said, brother. I was about to point out that @Riva is a person of colour.

Slapdashstyle

Reaction score
Oh man.

I'll just post rationalise this to myself that I've been in one too many communal forums online of late where not enough has been said when it should have been said.....

I was going to start by sending myself up about choking on my overly woke cornflakes trying to get to the virtue signals I had printed on the bottom of the bowl, but I didn't want to sound like I'm being sarcastic, as opposed to actually owning being about as appropriate as Larry David on caffeine and taurine.

Which I think just has to be owned.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jesus Christ lol. Please **** off back to twitter.
To read the post as even minutely implying malice is an absolute joke. Go away.

Brennenman

Reaction score
Oh man.

I'll just post rationalise this to myself that I've been in one too many communal forums online of late where not enough has been said when it should have been said.....

I was going to start by sending myself up about choking on my overly woke cornflakes trying to get to the virtue signals I had printed on the bottom of the bowl, but I didn't want to sound like I'm being sarcastic, as opposed to actually owning being about as appropriate as Larry David on caffeine and taurine.

Which I think just has to be owned.
I’m sorry I’ve tried reading this three times and and this still doesn’t make any sense, maybe im just really dense this morning idk

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let’s get back to Spier & Mackay for a bit.

Here’s this years Guabello DB hopsack which I’ve treated to some new buttons.

E85E1AC6-1308-474C-971E-E5854F864444.jpeg
C0C2E641-B165-4134-8A7B-8EF27F883B55.jpeg
BAD6B3A9-1A7F-4387-8865-8106D3D5A43A.jpeg
6D34F45F-86FB-4CB1-A426-EF92674249CB.jpeg

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI I have received racially motivated comments on this site in which Fok said to the mod to ignore as it's payback for me being a troll (something like that). I also actually get stalked on my IG by some SF member with a sock acct posting similar comments. I just laugh them off but we have to acknowledge their existence in SF.

The sun is a real ***** especially in the tropics and I wear sportjackets not for warmth or style but mainly to prevent myself from getting skin cancer. Sunblock + sunglasses + mask everytime I step out of the house. Take good care of your health bros.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let’s get back to Spier & Mackay for a bit.

Here’s this years Guabello DB hopsack which I’ve treated to some new buttons.

View attachment 1667598 View attachment 1667599 View attachment 1667600 View attachment 1667601

I was just thinking 2 days ago that I can't pull off these gold buttons and the last time I saw anyone in my office wearing one was the now retired guy 7 years ago. So as substitute I use beige horns, similar effect but less flashy. I do use matte silver colored buttons on a checked hopsack blazer which is an odd one.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brews&Breitlings