• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mbb355

Reaction score
To the fit masters if this thread I ask; from a fit perspective, what does it mean if a slight bit of shirt is showing below the button point? How “bad” is this?

View attachment 1535579
Sorry mate, but imho visible shirt beneath the buttoning point is a definite no-go. As others have noted, I'd seek out jackets with a lower buttoning point and/or trousers with a higher waist. It will look so much better.

LuxLemon

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys - I’m now questioning if I’m entirely wearing clothes wrong. By extension I’m wondering what other basic life skills I might have wrong and further risk going down an existential crisis...

Some measurements, buttoning point is 3” above my belly button button, meanwhile the top of my waist band is 3.5” below belly button. Wtf?? Should these both be at the belly button?

And @Betelgeuse you are precisely among the fit masters...

Last edited:

mbb355

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys - I’m now questioning if I’m entirely wearing clothes wrong. By extension I’m wondering what other basic life skills I might have wrong and further risk going down an existential crisis...

Some measurements, buttoning point is 3” above my belly button button, meanwhile the top of my waist band is 3.5” below belly button. Wtf?? Should these both be at the belly button?

Everyone is different so it's difficult to generalize, but the rules of thumb I personally follow are: buttoning point should be approximately two/three finger widths above the belly button, and trousers should sit at the natural waist, slightly above the belly button. I've found that works best for me. It goes a long way toward making the legs appear longer, highlighting the attractive waist, and shrouding the less-attractive hips and seat.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yea, button point about an inch or so above the navel (belly button) is ideal. As far as trousers, ideally at natural waist (around belly button), but some trousers don’t meet there. Basically get trousers to fit you as near the natural waist as possible.
Everyone is different so it's difficult to generalize, but the rules of thumb I personally follow are: buttoning point should be approximately two/three finger widths above the belly button, and trousers should sit at the natural waist, slightly above the belly button. I've found that works best for me. It goes a long way toward making the legs appear longer, highlighting the attractive waist, and shrouding the less-attractive hips and seat.
I wish S&M trousers fit me at the natural waist. Their slim fit normal trouser hits me about an half an inch-an inch below belly button, or on top of hip bones. Unsure if the high rise would even fit me at natural waist, been meaning to try

schraiber

Reaction score
I got this 38R slim jacket and it's definitely a smidge too small. I'm debating trying either a 38R Contemporary or a 40R slim for a better fit. What do y'all think based on the fit? I'd say main issues seem to be a bit tight around my waist and butt, chest and shoulders seem okay to me though (but open to people saying otherwise)

Attachments

• IMG_20210114_122947550.jpg
    IMG_20210114_122947550.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 114

LuxLemon

Reaction score
Yea, button point about an inch or so above the navel (belly button) is ideal. As far as trousers, ideally at natural waist (around belly button), but some trousers don’t meet there. Basically get trousers to fit you as near the natural waist as possible.

I wish S&M trousers fit me at the natural waist. Their slim fit normal trouser hits me about an half an inch-an inch below belly button, or on top of hip bones. Unsure if the high rise would even fit me at natural waist, been meaning to try

Does that seem extreme that i am would need probaby 2-3” extra rise? I’m 6’3 so tall, but not freakishly so..

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does that seem extreme that i am would need probaby 2-3” extra rise? I’m 6’3 so tall, but not freakishly so..
Try some high rise trousers. On some people the look freakishly big, but on other people it is what they need to get a proper fitting pant.

Ahree

Reaction score
I got this 38R slim jacket and it's definitely a smidge too small. I'm debating trying either a 38R Contemporary or a 40R slim for a better fit. What do y'all think based on the fit? I'd say main issues seem to be a bit tight around my waist and butt, chest and shoulders seem okay to me though (but open to people saying otherwise)
Exactly right. Shoulders and collar perfect, but too nipped in the waist. You could have it taken out but contemporary might fit better. Sleeves a bit long.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am 192 cm which is about 6 feet 3 inches. I wear long jackets from S&M and their high rise contemporary trousers. Jackets button about one inch above my belly button and trouser sit about one inch below my belly button. This is close enough to eliminate the shirt triangel. You dont need to go full "rib hugger" with your trousers.

S&M, cavour, natalino and others offer sligthly higher rise trousers.

mbb355

Reaction score
To answer this question accurately would require knowing where you're starting from--what kind of rise you're currently working with. But judging from where I started before getting into menswear, adding a rise of 2--3 inches relative to that starting point seems to be about right. Wish I'd done it sooner. It's true that people are built differently. I'm tall and slim, basically lanky. And I have a long torso. High-rise trousers are great for me because they lengthen my legs and highlight my natural waist. Another perk of high-rise trousers is you can wear cropped casual jackets with them (e.g., vintage-style blousons, flight jackets, etc.). Cropped jackets with low- or even mid-rise trousers can be a terrible look.

Devis4u

Reaction score
I received my contemporary navy donegal suit. The jacket fits like a dream, but the pants are a little tight in the waist. Is there enough fabric to let them out an inch or so?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kellymatre