• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd wear a polo, madras, ocbd shirt etc, but probably not just a t-shirt.
What I figured. I have a cheap pair of linen/cotton flat front chino style pants, but not high quality so was looking for something to replace them. Guess I may have to keep looking

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the whole reason I'm not ordering/been holding off ordering. Lots of nice navy pants available but I have a few already and it would be a waste somewhat to buy some more and not use them much. Then again maybe these would fit better and get more use... I've read a ton recently on the whole debate of navy pants and it seems if you don't wear a sport coat with them, and go more casual with shirts/sweaters/polos +/- outerwear, they could work barring if you get self conscious with the whole half suit thing.
I'd be curious to hear more about what you've learned in your reading. I come across countless jackets that would coordinate with trousers in a navy color, so I'm guessing it is something else that makes people deem navy trousers not useful. Maybe they always want the jacket darker than the pants?

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be curious to hear more about what you've learned in your reading. I come across countless jackets that would coordinate with trousers in a navy color, so I'm guessing it is something else that makes people deem navy trousers not useful. Maybe they always want the jacket darker than the pants?
Yea, for me I'd personally leave the navy to the sport coat than the trousers. Although navy is a good base layer to build upon no doubt. Everyone has their opinion and different style tastes, so just do what makes you happy lol

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*waiting on that oatmeal peacoat pic*

PDAnf7Y.gif

eleven_will_see_you_now

Reaction score
Okay sweet, thanks!

Last question, how versatile does everyone find navy trousers to be? I'm trying to think of how I'd wear a pair of the navy trousers as separates, but nothing comes to mind!
Unfortunately wool navy trousers are harder to wear as separates, but navy chinos or even a cotton/linen blend can work much better as separates. I was excited to see the navy trousers on sale but I also don’t want to look like I’m wearing orphaned suit bottoms. There’s an article out on a menswear blog (can neither confirm nor deny the initials of PS) about navy trousers that I mostly agreed with.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately wool navy trousers are harder to wear as separates, but navy chinos or even a cotton/linen blend can work much better as separates. I was excited to see the navy trousers on sale but I also don’t want to look like I’m wearing orphaned suit bottoms. There’s an article out on a menswear blog (can neither confirm nor deny the initials of PS) about navy trousers that I mostly agreed with.

Practically though, why would navy trousers look like orphaned suit bottoms but grey trousers would not?

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Practically though, why would navy trousers look like orphaned suit bottoms but grey trousers would not?

They don't. Navy wool trousers are absolutely fine. It's just a #menswear trope that grey trousers are the only trousers one should own. The navy trousers that look out of place are those with patterns or stripes that can look out of place. But even then, with the right ensemble it looks absolutely fine.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay sweet, thanks!

Last question, how versatile does everyone find navy trousers to be? I'm trying to think of how I'd wear a pair of the navy trousers as separates, but nothing comes to mind!

Navy worsted wool trousers in theory work, but not so much practically.Technically, they could be paired with a complementary sportcoat but because navy is such a commanding color, more attention will be drawn to the trousers than to your ensemble as a whole. Gray and other trousers tend to have the opposite effect; more of the color will be held in the top block of the ensemble and there is more contrast up top that is held together better by lighter hued trousers such as grays. Basically, navy worsted is so dominant as an odd trouser that it came only be tamed by its match: the navy suit coat for which it was made. This is why wearing navy worsted trews on their own has the orphaned suit effect.

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, for me I'd personally leave the navy to the sport coat than the trousers. Although navy is a good base layer to build upon no doubt. Everyone has their opinion and different style tastes, so just do what makes you happy lol
Do you mean a solid navy sport coat? If the choice is between that and whatever you would wear with navy trousers, then sure. But if you mean a sport coat with navy in it, then I can't imagine why you couldn't wear that with navy trousers.

Oh, I'm all for 'do whatever makes you happy'. I'm just curious what it is about navy trousers that doesn't make some people happy.

mbb355

Reaction score
Do you mean a solid navy sport coat? If the choice is between that and whatever you would wear with navy trousers, then sure. But if you mean a sport coat with navy in it, then I can't imagine why you couldn't wear that with navy trousers.

Oh, I'm all for 'do whatever makes you happy'. I'm just curious what it is about navy trousers that doesn't make some people happy.

After the navy blazer, my favorite jacket is the brown checked sport coat, which goes beautifully with navy trousers. The anti-navy trouser camp is silly.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They don't. Navy wool trousers are absolutely fine. It's just a #menswear trope that grey trousers are the only trousers one should own. The navy trousers that look out of place are those with patterns or stripes that can look out of place. But even then, with the right ensemble it looks absolutely fine.
Exactly. I wear blue including navy trouser separates as often as I wear the grays and the browns. Do you have a gray or a brown or a green SC? Then you have something to pair your navy trousers with. I'll bet more blue including navy trousers are sold than grays and browns.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yea, meant solid navy sport coat

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member