• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
High rise/side adjusters for me on the cavalry twill. Side adjusters will always be a preference for me, because I can’t find them consistently.

How much higher is the high rise than the standard rise? Haven’t seen any high rise in person, though in theory I prefer them.
They are honestly just the right amount higher. So much easier for one's shirt not to be showing under his jacket when buttoned.

Other members may be thinking they are much higher than they actually are because they haven't tried or seen them yet either. Here's @Burzan below. And a tobacco pair from myself

5C958E09-9275-444D-AAB3-07B7941A0010.jpeg

024C0052-9AF2-4B5A-BC18-9CF23D6BA211.jpeg

I would also be down for a single pleat.

Last edited:

emptym

Reaction score
My default for years was single forward pleat and side adjusters. But I'm starting to like flat front and belt loops (5). Definitely still high(ish) rise.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Single forward pleat, high rise, side adjusters or DAKS. I've realized for my size 33 waist I like an 11.5 to 12" rise.

Love cavalry twill. I just picked up some very steep whip cord trousers made w E Thomas fabric from the tailor (ebay find) and they're wonderful. They keep an excellent crease.

Speaking of that, on the unfunded liabilities thread there was recent discussion about flannel that's stiff and falls like cardboard. Got anything like that, Rick? Pajama flannels are fine but something that could hold a crease better would be awesome.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are honestly just the right amount higher. So much easier for one's shirt not to be showing under his jacket when buttoned.

Other members may be thinking they are much higher than they actually are because they haven't tried or seen them yet either. Here's @Burzan below.

View attachment 1088828

Yeah I agree, the higher rise is nice and not overly high but certainly helps elongate my 5'9" frame. I am a big fan of higher rise and side tabs as of late.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Other members may be thinking they are much higher than they actually are because they haven't tried or seen them yet either. Here's @Burzan below. And a tobacco pair from myself

View attachment 1088828
View attachment 1088834

Gahhhh I need those pants in my life

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1088828
View attachment 1088834

No. No you would not. I will throw another vote for single pleat.

Both of y’all would be down for a forward pleat specifically though? Because I don’t see those often and would love a pair, and it’s sounding like I’m not the only one

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m just going to start reposting the same thing every time this question is asked lol

The consensus this year has pretty much been either/or. I went TTS with a 38 for my DB overcoat- it’s slightly snug when putting it on, but I can move easily without restriction in it:

958FC90A-EABE-4C86-9E1D-1BF8D36C7339.jpeg

3BFC9753-61B1-4B3E-ADA1-5FC61BAA88F1.jpeg

This is with a suit jacket underneath, which is primarily how I’ll be wearing it. The advantage to me for TTS is that I could just wear a sweater underneath and it won’t look too big. I would’ve sized up had I planned on wearing something like a tweed sportcoat and thick sweater underneath, but I think it would’ve looked too big without a jacket underneath.

Point being, TTS worked for me and several others, sizing up worked for others. Depends on what you’re looking for.

Looking to pick up a top coat and I am interested in the SM options. Could anyone provide a little guidance on fit as this would be my first purchase from SM? I am a 42R in Brooks Brothers Regent and Fitzgerald fit suits with minimal tailoring. Thanks in advance!

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got 400 gsm Cavalry Twill for trousers from Angelico for next Fall. How do you guys want these? High waist, side tabs?

Holy damn, I just noticed the 400 GSM. Nice!

What colors did you get?

Hey guys, looking for some advice on the Rust polo coat. Can you wear it with both Navy and Grey suits or is it too casual as I've seen some people elude to it in this thread. Thanks

I mean, no one’s stopping you, but I considered getting that coat for wear with odd jackets/trousers. Imho it’s too casual for a suit- I went with the camel DB for suits, and wear my Gloverall in less formal settings

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Holy damn, I just noticed the 400 GSM. Nice!

What colors did you get?

I mean, no one’s stopping you, but I considered getting that coat for wear with odd jackets/trousers. Imho it’s too casual for a suit- I went with the camel DB for suits, and wear my Gloverall in less formal settings

Didn't order yet. All neutral though. They don't have a huge range. Mostly the usual suspects. Navy, Gray and Browns. Oddly though, they don't have a good light brown.

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, looking for some advice on the Rust polo coat. Can you wear it with both Navy and Grey suits or is it too casual as I've seen some people elude to it in this thread. Thanks
That would be a resounding YES on both counts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads