• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spier and Mackay suede chukkas

fieldhuis

Reaction score
Received a pair of Spier and Mackay suede chukkas a couple weeks ago and have experienced some odd creasing along the toe puff. Please note this creasing became quite noticeable after only two days wear - it was not noticeable when I took them out of the box. I used cedar shoe trees in the boots from day one.

I’ve owned dozens of pairs of quality leather shoes (to include suede) and am very familiar with normal creasing. What seems abnormal here is the deep and uniform crease along the toe puff of the left boot. In comparison, the creasing on the right boot seems more natural/organic. I’ve not experienced creasing at the toe puff that looks like this, nor can I find any examples on the internet.

I relayed my concern to Spier and Mackay - they replied that creasing is normal and I should use shoe trees. I think the true test of whether this is normal/acceptable is if I sold them to a SF buyer without disclosing the unusual creasing. Would a typical SF member complain? I assume so but maybe I’m being too picky.

I welcome your thoughts. Thanks.

Attachments

• 0911DC87-DE6C-4C68-A324-31DBD5DF843E.jpeg
    0911DC87-DE6C-4C68-A324-31DBD5DF843E.jpeg
    341.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 368A703E-8A40-4CCD-B283-4633260AF84F.jpeg
    368A703E-8A40-4CCD-B283-4633260AF84F.jpeg
    308.3 KB · Views: 99

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could be me, but I don't mind creasing on suede shoes. It doesn't seem to look so nice on calfskin though.

They do have that unlined look to them, even though I think those are lined. Odd, but not a deal breaker for me.

Viatu

Reaction score
I agree. They look unlined. I don't think shoe trees would've prevented creases that deep.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
I see what you mean. I can speculate as to the cause, but I think the solution here is to try to get it to wrinkle in a different spot.

fieldhuis

Reaction score
I see what you mean. I can speculate as to the cause, but I think the solution here is to try to get it to wrinkle in a different spot.

I had a similar thought as well - maybe a crease farther back from the toes would prevent the deep ‘dip’ along the length of toe puff. Unfortunately I didn’t have any luck with that.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
I had a similar thought as well - maybe a crease farther back from the toes would prevent the deep ‘dip’ along the length of toe puff. Unfortunately I didn’t have any luck with that.

Is the toe area more structured than the rest of the shoe? If so, as the shoe breaks in the problem might become less significant.

fieldhuis

Reaction score

And if you look closely at the picture of the left boot, there are actually two parallel lines emerging - one at the toe puff border and one where the suede drops down from the toe puff. Strange.

fieldhuis

Reaction score
Is the toe area more structured than the rest of the shoe? If so, as the shoe breaks in the problem might become less significant.

Yes, definitely some soft structure - I’m unsure of what material is used. I assume it’s similar to what you’d find on other suede chukkas of this style - Loake, etc.

I guess if it was happening on the right boot too it wouldn’t be as noticeable - almost like a soft cap toe. But because the right boot is acting ‘normally’ it stands out more.

Of course, I’m confident no one else notices it - just me. ?

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
This might be terrible advice, but you may be able to soften up the area some and rework it with a hair dryer.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nani94