• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soporific Tie Pr0n

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ed I seem to recall you saying that you were moving away from both grenadine and un-tipped ties? Change of heart?

Anyway it's a lovely fabric but I do personally think that all silks with messy looking rears (that's pretty much all woven, patterned silks) should be tipped for a cleaner finish. Personal opinion of course.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not for the soporific tie thread, but there's nothing wrong with tie, if you're in to that sort of thing.

Just bought this E.G. Cappelli and a navy grenadine.. Was this a good move?

Torsion

Reaction score
Thanks - after thinking I had just about gotten over my shoe obsession I'm now fighting the domination of one's thoughts over ties, the wife asked me earlier "why are you looking at more ties - do you need to seek professional help" lol :D

Took me about 3 days going through this thread from the start, got to say it's very educational to say the least and let's all be thankful to all the contributors on this so far :worship:

Peace :slayer:

I don't own any yet but seriously thinking about pulling the trigger - as spring/summer is almost upon us should I have some linen navy or burg in the tie rack? ie EG Cappelli...

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Raw silk woven in a grenadine weave. This is a new fabric and I think this is currently the only tie of this fabric that has been made by anyone, at least in the US.

Such a gorgeous tie that I'm not spoilering the pics. Ed, any chance you'll have any more of those made and be selling them?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Ed I seem to recall you saying that you were moving away from both grenadine and un-tipped ties? Change of heart?

Anyway it's a lovely fabric but I do personally think that all silks with messy looking rears (that's pretty much all woven, patterned silks) should be tipped for a cleaner finish. Personal opinion of course.

sorry, did not see this before. Change of heart/request from people :shrug: Seems that people like the "mess", I don't have an issue against it, just don't think that every single tie/fabric needs to be untipped.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads