• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Someone recommend me a decent golf bag

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just took it up. My friend gave me his old set of clubs. I just need something decent for walking, perhaps w/ separate slots and def. w/ two shoulder straps/tripod style. I don't know what that's called, other than "not for a cart."

Can someone recommend me something that'll work, low-cost, lightweight that's functional and won't fall apart on me? What terms could I use for an ebay search. Should I look on Craigslist?

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You want a stand bag. Ogio and Sun Mountain are quality brands, if you come across something used. Ping, and in particular their Hoofer model has been pretty popular with college players and younger competitive amateurs for years.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

A few follow-up queries:

Is there a specific price point for a new bag below which I'd be getting something certain to fall apart?

Also, I saw one guy had a very small bag for sale on CL; he was selling it for $25. Looked older, maybe from the 80s. It was like what you'd see in a cartoon, just a narrow cloth tube w/ a single strap and a reinforced bottom. Is that, like, a travel bag or something? Is it a bad idea to get something like that?

Also, my friend told me I didn't want the clubs to bang around and get scratched up, but he uses graphite clubs. Mine are steel or whatever alloys they used before. Are these also in need of protection from each other, or is that something I don't need to worry so much about?

Oh, and one final thing--I hate newer sports shirts made w/ synthetic fibers. Any nice, vintage golf or maybe tennis clothing I could find, made from natural fibers? Lacoste or Fred Perry or something? Polo and a basic cotton pant sufficient? I never understand why the need for golf-specific clothing, outside of making sponsorship dollars for the players: You're basically just walking in a big park and maybe sweating a bit, right? What am I missing?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
Thanks.

A few follow-up queries:

Is there a specific price point for a new bag below which I'd be getting something certain to fall apart?

Also, I saw one guy had a very small bag for sale on CL; he was selling it for $25. Looked older, maybe from the 80s. It was like what you'd see in a cartoon, just a narrow cloth tube w/ a single strap and a reinforced bottom. Is that, like, a travel bag or something? Is it a bad idea to get something like that?

Also, my friend told me I didn't want the clubs to bang around and get scratched up, but he uses graphite clubs. Mine are steel or whatever alloys they used before. Are these also in need of protection from each other, or is that something I don't need to worry so much about?

Oh, and one final thing--I hate newer sports shirts made w/ synthetic fibers. Any nice, vintage golf or maybe tennis clothing I could find, made from natural fibers? Lacoste or Fred Perry or something? Polo and a basic cotton pant sufficient? I never understand why the need for golf-specific clothing, outside of making sponsorship dollars for the players: You're basically just walking in a big park and maybe sweating a bit, right? What am I missing?

The CL bag sounds like a basic walking bag, without a stand. I used one for a long time and as long as you don't mind laying it down or getting a pull-cart, it's good enough for steel shafts. No, your clubs don't need protection from each other - except for your woods and your putter. BTW - if you're just starting, I would leave the woods at home until you get good with your irons.

I have no shirts that are golf-specific. Pretty much anything with a collar will get you in the door anywhere. Chinos in colder weather, khaki shorts in warmer weather.

About shoes. If you want to drop the money and see a great deal, go with a good pair of spikeless golf shoes. Spikes are pretty well unwelcome from most courses these days. If you'd rather not drop the money, go with something comfortable that has flat soles - I played for a long time in a pair of Adidas Sambas for the wide base and flat soles. Then again I've hit range balls in deck shoes, so it's not a really big deal, just don't get a pair of metal spikes. Now that I think of it, I'm not sure anyone sells metal spikes any more.

Good luck.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The skinny bag you're describing is a "Sunday bag", which is often for carrying a partial set of clubs and is exceedingly spartan. I wouldn't recommend it as I don't like them all that much, it also doesn't have a stand, no pockets, etc.

I would bite the bullet and get a decent stand bag with dividers, look for used ones on eBay. I'm going to stick with Ping (the J-Bag would work), Ogio, and Sun Mountain as my recommendations. Even if your irons have steel shafts they can still be bent or wear down, it's not common but it does happen, and I'm going to assume at least your driver has a graphite shaft which is a good idea to protect as they will break on occasion.

It is tough to find attractive shirts made from hi-tech material, but they do work. I play in 80+ heat for 8 months a year basically and 90+ for 3 or so of those, and I've used them, and they are effective for getting moisture away from your body. But I usually don't play with them precisely because I have a hard time finding decent looking styles, and cotton still works OK.

Just buy the best looking 100% cotton polos you can find in white or lighter colors, Lacoste or Fred Perry will work fine. Cotton pants (I'm guessing you mean chinos) are fine, I prefer wool pants myself because they move a little better but they're obviously hotter. I wear shorts for all but about 3 rounds a year anyway.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for the info. I am starting and probably going to be going to the driving range here in Manhattan quite a bit. I don't anticipate taking more than a few irons at a time for such outings, which is why I was curious about the "spartan, sunday bag." I might just get one for those subway driving range trips. But for now, I still need a full bag for when I go out w/ friends, so I'll go with your recommendations.

As far as clothing goes, I also appreciate the input on that. It's too bad no one makes a nice merino polo...

I love wool trousers far more than chinos, so I'm glad to hear that's not a ridiculous thought for golfing. I don't mind sweating at all (used to live in the desert), I was just curious if I was overlooking some functional aspect to golfwear. Seems I wasn't.

As far as shoes go, I actually bought a pair of well-fitting Asics golf shoes w/ low-profile traction for 10 bucks in a thrift store in Indiana a few years ago. I wore them on the course a couple times, and they were great. Last week, I was out in a pair of flat-soled Keds with no problems.

Thanks for the tips, again. I'm now confident I don't need to spend money on more than my bag and some balls, which makes me very happy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads