• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some nice H. Freeman suits on SierraTradingPost

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H. Freeman suits These are well priced suits -- I think they are equivalent in quality to Hickey Freeman, but don't use as luxurious of fabrics. I particularly the tan overcheck suit for a summer suit.

arkirshner

Reaction score
I bought the 2B Navy stripe and it came a couple days ago.
This is my 6th H Freeman and like the others before this one is a great suit eg. floating chestpiece. The store in Toledo that carries them get $700-900 depending on the fabric. $299 for a floating chest piece suit has to be the best deal going short of finding something in the 75% off rack at fileenes.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought the 2B Navy stripe and it came a couple days ago.
This is my 6th H Freeman and like the others before this one is a great suit eg. floating chestpiece.                            The store in Toledo that carries them get $700-900 depending on the fabric.                                                                      $299 for a floating chest piece suit has to be the best deal going short of finding something in the 75% off rack at fileenes.
What's the oldest H. Freeman suit you have? If you've an older one, how do these from STP compare? Freeman still made in Philly, n'est pas?

arkirshner

Reaction score
Horace,
My first H Freeman suits date to 1988-9.With age I've grown a little larger and they no longer fit. The oldest one that still fits is from 1993 and I still wear it along with others more recent.
I took the one I just got from STP to the tailor today for basic alterations and so I can't compare them exactly because I just didn't closely look at areas that are illustrative of fine workmanship for example interior of the pants buttonholes etc. The fabric of the new one has the same hand as one of similar materail from the mid 90s. Both chests are soft have a stich attached chest piece but I don't know whether they were hand or machine stiched. In feel the chests are similar to Hickey Freeman, JohnieNorman3's comment is right on point.
The lapels of the new one did not feel as soft as my ones from the Mid 90s but I did not examine closly enough to tell if this is because some fusing was used. Interestingly enough I just looked in my basement and found a late 80's H Freeman single breasted peak lapel blazer I hope to fit into again one day and the lapels feel the same as the new one.
The lapels on the new one are very nicely pickstiched.
In short because the new suit is"t in front of me I can't give you a better comparison, and since we don't know how old the STP suit I can't say whether it is the same as those just off the line.
I bought a few Oritsky and Corbins from STP recently andwhile they used to have machine stiched canvas they are now fully fused. I bring this up because Oritsky and Corbin were purchased by the same corp. that purchased H Freeman.
of course they also purchased Oxxford and have not lowered Quality at all. If the STP suit is the same as what is made today then if quality has been lowered it is only marginally.
The STP suit is damn nice and the best deal I'v found in some years.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Horace,
    My first H Freeman suits date to 1988-9.With age I've grown a little larger and they no longer fit. The oldest one that still fits is from 1993  and I still wear it along with others more recent.
    I took the one I just got from STP to the tailor today for basic alterations and so I can't  compare them exactly because I just didn't closely look at areas that  are illustrative of fine workmanship for example interior of the pants buttonholes etc.  The fabric of the new one has  the same hand as one of similar materail from the mid 90s. Both chests are soft have a stich attached chest piece but I don't know whether they were hand or machine stiched. In feel the chests are similar to Hickey Freeman,  JohnieNorman3's comment  is right on point.
     The lapels of the new one did not feel as soft as my ones from the Mid 90s  but I did not examine closly enough to tell if this is because some fusing was used. Interestingly enough  I  just  looked in my basement and found a late 80's H Freeman  single breasted peak lapel blazer I hope to fit into again one day and the lapels feel the same as the new one.
    The lapels  on the new one are very nicely pickstiched.
In short because the new suit is"t in front of me I can't give you a better comparison, and since we don't know how old the STP suit  I can't say whether it is the same as those just off the line.
     I bought a few Oritsky and Corbins from STP recently andwhile they used to have machine stiched canvas they are now fully fused. I bring this up because Oritsky and Corbin were purchased by the same corp. that purchased H Freeman.
of course they also purchased Oxxford and have not lowered Quality at all. If the STP suit is  the same as what is made  today then if quality has been lowered it is only marginally.
The STP suit is damn nice and the best deal I'v found in some years.
Thanks Ark, for the update. The Freeman's would indeed seem to be a good deal.  I've got older (but not that old only say 10 years or less) Corbin and Ortisky suits & coats that were pretty good quality -- not fused.  Though I'm not a fanatic about it either way.  Nor does it really matter to me on something like an off-the-rack suit whether the canvas is handsewn or machine-sewn.

I take that back: I like the tan suit. Too bad there isn't a solid. Those 2 button suits look like what was and still is sold in a lot of the little Ivy shops still around. It's my favorite silhouette. Much more so than the 3 button sack or the more extremely suppressed suits from across the pond.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads