• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Solo traveling, anyone here ever done it?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The nice thing about travelling alone is that it forces you to talk to people. Be open to options and do a few things on a whim. You will end up in some interesting places and if lucky, still in possession of both your kidneys.

lefty

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score

The nice thing about travelling alone is that it forces you to talk to people. Be open to options and do a few things on a whim. You will end up in some interesting places and if lucky, still in possession of both your kidneys.

lefty

Yeah. I got drunk and watched a cockfight. Woke up the next day thinking how stupid I was.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I do it all the time. Actually heading back to Thailand in 2 1/2 weeks solo. Great time and experiences.

Thailand is great solo, especially if you make it out to one of the "party" islands. Locals are friendly and fellow tourists are approachable and typically outgoing. HK is pretty much the exact opposite. Went there solo right after HK and it was like night and day - never felt so alone and insignificant before.

Im headed on Europe backpacking trip for all of April. Will meet up with a friend in Paris for a week - should be a nice change of pace.

In general, the bigger the city, the more difficult it is to travel alone.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thailand is great solo, especially if you make it out to one of the "party" islands. Locals are friendly and fellow tourists are approachable and typically outgoing. HK is pretty much the exact opposite. Went there solo right after HK and it was like night and day - never felt so alone and insignificant before.

Im headed on Europe backpacking trip for all of April. Will meet up with a friend in Paris for a week - should be a nice change of pace.

In general, the bigger the city, the more difficult it is to travel alone.

Yeah man...Thailand is great. I can't wait to get there. Great country and Bk is also a great city to explore.
Have you been to Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia? They are on my hit list!

See above..you went to HK after HK?? You mean after BK...no?

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
haha, yeah went to HK after thailand. 2 hour flight but a world apart.

havent been to vietnam/laos/cambodia. i have a coworker who is vietnamese but doesnt want to go back. :fu:

why are you going back to Thailand if you havent visited the other 3 countries?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

haha, yeah went to HK after thailand. 2 hour flight but a world apart.

havent been to vietnam/laos/cambodia. i have a coworker who is vietnamese but doesnt want to go back. :fu:

why are you going back to Thailand if you havent visited the other 3 countries?

Love that country. I get 4 weeks off a year and if I blow 2+ weeks on 1 trip early in the year, I am **** outta luck for the rest of the year. I want to take a month long trip around SE Asia and hit up all of those countries.
(plus..I am meeting up with a chick from Aust for part of my trip.)

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i sort of do. i go on a lot of business trips and always stay behind after the other mofos have gone and do the solo thing for a few days. to be honest i much prefer being with my wife and sometimes i'll ask her to meet me after the business part of the trip. but with wife > solo > traveling with anyone else

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
just booked a 6 week backpacking trip. traveling solo for 5 of them

4 weeks in western Europe

2 weeks in central america with a couple overnight stays in Seattle and Houston

CA -> EUROPE -> CENTRAL AMERICA -> CA

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

just booked a 6 week backpacking trip. traveling solo for 5 of them

4 weeks in western Europe

2 weeks in central america with a couple overnight stays in Seattle and Houston

CA -> EUROPE -> CENTRAL AMERICA -> CA

:worship:

amberr

Reaction score
Yep, try it. Thats always great experience. The only advice i can give u and it always works is to be open and don't strictly follow the plan. u gonna have the time of ur life i promise :)

ctkim

Reaction score
Travelled to Southeast Asia for 2 months solo. One of the best times of my life. You don't have anyone to weigh you down, and you can do whatever you want. Do it!!!

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Often, especially if you're sociable, you'll end up tagging along with people anyway. Being in groups is a great way to cut down on costs. ****, even just meeting people at the airport/bus station/taxi stand can be a good way to save some dough. When you're staying at hostels, everyone else is there to do the EXACT SAME **** you're doing, so its real real easy to just get a bunch of people together to do whatever it was you were planning on doing solo.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Travelled to Southeast Asia for 2 months solo. One of the best times of my life. You don't have anyone to weigh you down, and you can do whatever you want. Do it!!!

Including ladybois? :smarmy:

dapperdude

Reaction score
I've always traveled by myself. Recent trips included Mexico (that was a little awckward, since it was at a resort and there were couples and families everywhere [EDIT: I started in Cancun, where this is very typical, but had more fun in Tulum and Playa]) and Asia (China, Thailand).

I never had any problems traveling by myself, and I met many interesting people when I got off the beaten track. It would be nice to go with travel buddies if possible, but you get a very different experience traveling solo.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads