• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sock Expert, I'm back

SKS

Reaction score
@max b , two more questions if I may:
  1. Are there thick summer socks?
  2. What's your opinion on bamboo? I understand that exact mix of fibres differs per manufacturer, but in general terms... Good, bad, ugly?

max b

Reaction score
@max b , two more questions if I may:
  1. Are there thick summer socks?
  2. What's your opinion on bamboo? I understand that exact mix of fibres differs per manufacturer, but in general terms... Good, bad, ugly?
yes, of course. You can produce cotton socks on all the machines. So also on 88, 120 or 176 needles, which lead to a medium to an heavy weight cotton sock. We tried bamboo years ago (before it was "trendy") as we always experiment new yarns. It was good, but didn't really have (at that time, maybe was too early) a good commercial result. We used 100% bamboo. The touch was good and the comfort too.

max b

Reaction score
Are argyle socks invariably very messy on the inside? I have both low-end and high-end argyles (obviously have not sampled every maker), but the high-end ones are still very "messy" on the inside (loose hanging threads everywhere behind the argyle pattern)
When you have different colors, the yarn of one color has to enter and then to exit somewhere. So either inside you have a "link" thread between the two point where it is entering and it exiting, or you have the thread cut. The real argyle machine cut the threads, but not very short, otherwise they will "slip off" and damage the design. For the real argyle machine, the inside threads are more or less 7 or 8 mm long. If you produce argyle on other machines it is really messy as there are a lot of threads around.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the benefit of a sock made with 70% long staple cotton and 30% quality silk by a good maker?
Is it as durable as quality cashmere (70%) and 30% quality silk done by a good maker?

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^
could it be that a well made 70% cotton 30% silk sock could last longer than a well made 70% cashmere 30% silk sock?

CityDweller

Reaction score
@max b: Thank you for the wealth of knowledge in this thread. What compositions would you recommend for someone whose priorities were ease of washing, comfort, and durability, in that order?

max b

Reaction score
@max b: Thank you for the wealth of knowledge in this thread. What compositions would you recommend for someone whose priorities were ease of washing, comfort, and durability, in that order?
the best is always cotton. if durability is an issue, cotton+nylon.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are your favorite sock brands?

All the socks I wear end up with holes in them. I just wear loafers without socks these days because of that. But am looking for a better solution. I’ll take photos of my issues with socks.

I always machine was in a bag & flat dry.

max b

Reaction score
What are your favorite sock brands?

All the socks I wear end up with holes in them. I just wear loafers without socks these days because of that. But am looking for a better solution. I’ll take photos of my issues with socks.

I always machine was in a bag & flat dry.
For durability unfortunately no other solution than having more nylon and elastan in the composition.
Socks are subjiect to friction, specially on heel and toe. To compensate, the yarn should be very thick or having syntetic blended. Of course this will change the comfort and the transpiration of the skin. I don't think in your case it is related to they way you wash the socks. Somehow it is different for every person, it is also a phisical matter due to the form of the foot, the way of walking, the shoe .. and of course can be because of the quality of the yarns used.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For durability unfortunately no other solution than having more nylon and elastan in the composition.
Socks are subjiect to friction, specially on heel and toe. To compensate, the yarn should be very thick or having syntetic blended. Of course this will change the comfort and the transpiration of the skin. I don't think in your case it is related to they way you wash the socks. Somehow it is different for every person, it is also a phisical matter due to the form of the foot, the way of walking, the shoe .. and of course can be because of the quality of the yarns used.

My guess is that, being Asian (it’s well established that Asian have different feet), I’m trying to fit my feet into a last that isn’t good for my feet. Perhaps, worse, I’m Asian American, so my feet are physically bigger than a lot of Asian feet.

This must cause friction with the shoe. Do you think bespoke shoes will help solve this issue?

I think it’s unlikely an issue with the yarns; I’ve tried almost every high end sockmaker out there. (Panthrella, budd, coggi, the big Italian sockmaker (I think it starts with a B), gamrellli in Rome, even RLPL). The best were RLPL but even those gave way with time. Now I just don’t wear socks, which isn’t the ideal solution.

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best were RLPL but even those gave way with time. Now I just don’t wear socks, which isn’t the ideal solution.

As the expert stated, socks are subject to friction, and inevitably will wear away with time (no matter how much they happen to cost), which will occur at different rates depending on your particular foot anatomy and physiology.

I have the same issue, having feet with extremely concentrated small pressure points on the sole (also resulting in "corns"), and socks that wear out quickly.

FFS a knit fabric is being constantly pulverised by your entire body-weight with added impact force together with gravity against the world, of course it is going to "give way with time".

Socks are disposable items by their very nature (ever seen any used ones for sale on the Classifieds here?).

Having gone through all the most expensive socks available and with a slanted question towards bespoke shoes, sounds like you just need some psychological validation in proceeding to spend megabucks on a non-existent problem ;)

Last edited:

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Socks are disposable items by their very nature (ever seen any used ones for sale on the Classifieds here?).
I laughed at this. You’re right though. USED SOCK FOR SALE!!!!!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pablobob