• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Fútbol • Calcio • Futebol - 2012-2013 Thread (Including EURO2012)

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thank you italy.

ribkin

Reaction score

ac21686

Reaction score

I don't understand what happened to Germany.  I still don't understand what Italy did differently to break Germany down so much, so I have read the pundits on this (if they agree and have a reason).

They didn't have to do anything special. Pundits and fans who know nothing made far too much of Germany's demolition of poor teams and acted like they were practically unbeatable. Germany's defense outside of Hummels -- although he had his ankles broken by Cassano today -- has always been vulnerable to good counter-attacking sides. Even Greece made them look bad once or twice before the obvious gap in talent took over. Most pundits know nothing about Italian soccer, it's plainly obvious all the time. It's painful listening to guys like Gary Neville, Andy Townsend, etc.

Last edited:

Mark Anthony

Reaction score

Total shock! No-one expected that. Germany were thoroughly outplayed.

Except for those who know how Italian's develop their players and how they view games against Germany. Italians respect German football to such an extent that there is no greater acheivement than getting a result against them.

More so than even doing well against Brazil or whomever happens to be hot at the moment (today that is Spain, it was France a few years back, Argentina before that - only Brazil, Germany and Italy are consistently at or near the top on a consistent basis).

Secondly, the attribute of being able to defend which is routinely criticized is rooted in a never say die work ethic and team spirit. That spirit is what comes out in spades especially against the Germans.

Italian players at a young age are also technically trained with respect to ball skill much more so than many nations (the Dutch are even better at this - but for some reason lack the spirit, especially team spirit which must frustrate their supporters to no end) so you get very skilled players overall.

Now obviously this doesn't mean Italian teams are always great but no nation ever is. What it means is you can never, ever dismiss Italy as a potential champion of any tournament and their success backs that up. Yet, people routinely do just that.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys like Gary Neville may not know Serie A, but he knows the game better than 99.9% of the world, and he's a surprisingly good analyst.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I am planning on making cabbage rolls today, using a Viennese recipe by one of the imperial cooks from one of the former crown lands.  I'll let you know how it turns out.  I'm substituting veal instead of pork though.

enjoy it. i mean there's a reason for the pork. it's more tasty and richer. veal is nice also, though.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't understand what happened to Germany.  I still don't understand what Italy did differently to break Germany down so much, so I have read the pundits on this (if they agree and have a reason).

why, they played their real level. this is not play station. they played italy.

thanks again to the squadra for this delightful football evening.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
These comments about Italy being different today just prove my point that people are not really paying attention.

This is the style that Prandelli has been playing since taking over. It is also the predominant style of play in Serie A. Additionally it is really not that different than the typical Italian style of midfield ball movement just more attack minded. A change that started with Marcello Lippi in 2004 when he put more forward pressure and less waiting/pouncing a la catenaccio.

Today Italy were simply more effective at it. Some games things click other games less so. No more complicated than that.

On another note, Italy are often accussed of sitting back when not enough credit is given to the fact there is another team on the field and they may actually be doing a good job at attacking during that stretch. As an example the first 10 minutes of the second half was Germany playing for their lives, it was not Italy sitting back.

Last edited:

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Let me be the first to take this thread down a few pegs like the fat little German Slag who left the pub crying, today!
L'Italia per sempre! Amici di bel tempo non è necessario applicare e scopare le vostre madri, haters!
Again pardon my poor grammar.

Sunday, Sunday, SUNDAY!!! Race fans it's here and Italy is going to crush Spain worse than the Spanish economy !!

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, who's midfield will bog the other's down more effectively?

Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets, Alonso, Silva

or

Pirlo, De Rossi, Marchisio, Montolivo?

I think Balzaretti did a fantastic job at RB, having been at LB in previous games. And it's always a boost to get a player of Chiellini's caliber back.

dufferin1

Reaction score
Let me be the first to take this thread down a few pegs like the fat little German Slag who left the pub crying, today!
L'Italia per sempre! Amici di bel tempo non è necessario applicare e scopare le vostre madri, haters!
Again pardon my poor grammar.
Sunday, Sunday, SUNDAY!!! Race fans it's here and Italy is going to crush Spain worse than the Spanish economy !!
Fat little German slag, you are very mature my friend.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys like Gary Neville may not know Serie A, but he knows the game better than 99.9% of the world, and he's a surprisingly good analyst.

Annoyingly so, I thought he'd be a step above Stan Collymore in the not quite with it upstairs stakes but he really does know his stuff.

Yet another Semi final defeat for Germany, the international games answer to Leeds United (only we're getting a new owner, they're getting a new colony or two).

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saunny