• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So who else makes shell cordovan? ...

cmeisenzahl

Reaction score
We know that Horween is the only U.S. manufacturer, but whom else makes it around the world?

Thanks!

Chris

videocrew

Reaction score
Ron Rider made reference on Twitter last week to a company in Japan who has started producing it and then shipping it to Italy for recoloring. He seemed to indicate that it was inferior to Horween's product. There is also an Italian shoe factory that does a lot of contract work for large designers and claims they are "Cordovan" but its just calf.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is definitely more than one shell tannery in Japan, the material is often used on the traditional schoolkids' backpacks (from what I understand they keep the same backpack from elementary school to secondary school) . I would bet money there are more than a few in Europe, perhaps with no internet presence.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
There is definitely more than one shell tannery in Japan, the material is often used on the traditional schoolkids' backpacks (from what I understand they keep the same backpack from elementary school to secondary school) . I would bet money there are more than a few in Europe, perhaps with no internet presence.

Interesting.
are they this style backpack? http://japan-cc.com/randoseru.htm

Salsalocust

Reaction score
Hi,

This might be of interest to some www.comipel.it

It might be the company with the Japanese connection mentioned above... it might not.

Tricker's have used them

IMG_4321.jpg

IMG_4279.jpg

Picture800.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

Roberto Gulbick

Reaction score
Hi there, there is a Company from Santa Croce sull'arno (Italy) that produce Genuine shell Cordovan.
The company name is Rocado srl, e-mail: [email protected]
I am Roberto the sales manager from this company.
Regards.

Roberto
Rocado srl

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is another Japanese tannery that does cordovan: "In 1946, TERAKOSHI INDUSTRY, established ARC LEATHER JAPAN CO., LTD. as a specialized horse leather tannery in Himeji, Hyogo where is the birth place of leather industry."

http://www.b-mall.ne.jp/CompanyDetail-JQbqCQdvFQgs.aspx

Horse-Butt (馬尻: Umajiri). Umajiri is also a surname in Japan.

Hyraco

Reaction score
There is this Italian company that makes really good quality shell cordovan.
Name of the company is Hyracopelli based in Santa Croce sull'arno.

Last edited by a moderator:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads