• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I'm Building My Own Gaming Computer...

Clover216

Reaction score
Anyone else here ever tried it? I researched up on all the latest and greatest technologies in terms of computer components (MB, CPU, RAM, GPU, etc.) for awhile, and spent about $1700 on the whole thing. The parts finally arrived yesterday and I'm just waiting to get an anti-static wrist bracelet (don't want to fry anything) before I start assembly. I can't wait to get this thing up and running and playing some fun games on the PC. You guys have any recommendations?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Anti static wrist bracelet? LOL

I've built... uh... probably like 50 computers from the ground up throughout my life. Never had a static problem.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Can I ask what you managed to spend so much money on?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've built several PCs and never used an "anti-static wrist bracelet." Are you a woman?
confused.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I've built several PCs and never used an "anti-static wrist bracelet." Are you a woman?
confused.gif

I've been building boxes since 1995 or so, and never even seen one of those.

Clover216

Reaction score
confused.gif

No. I've read several warnings that say the tiniest static electricity can severely damage some of my parts. I don't really want to risk frying something I spent over a thousand dollars on, so sorry if I'm being a little cautious.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clover216
No. I've read several warnings that say the tiniest static electricity can severely damage some of my parts. I don't really want to risk frying something I spent over a thousand dollars on, so sorry if I'm being a little cautious.

Touch the frame of the case to discharge any static before picking up your CPU chip. You'll be fine.

Now seriously, what did you spend 1.7k on?

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've built around 6 computers. For the last one I used the anti-static bracelet because I seem to get some serious shocks in my current apartment. Plus, it costs $5 and it beats constantly discharging myself by touching some bare metal (I always end up doing it a lot because I'm paranoid about shorting out something despite never having had it happen).

Clover216

Reaction score
Hmm, everyone I've talked to has highly recommended it.

From this article:

"Static electricity is the biggest danger to the expensive parts you are about assemble, even a tiny shock, much too small for you to feel, can damage or ruin the delicate electronic traces, many times smaller than a human hair, that make up your CPU, RAM and other chips. It's important to use your anti-static wrist strap. Once you have the power supply installed in the case, clip the end of the wrist strap to the outside of the power supply. (Never plug your computer in while you are connected to it by a wrist strap.) This will ensure that you, the case and the power supply are all connected to a common ground, in other words there will be no inequality of charge that will allow a spark to jump from you to the case. It's also helpful to have an antistatic mat to set the case and other components on."

"If you do not have access to an anti-static mat or wrist-band, working on a table rubber or leather-soled shoes can help prevent static charges obtained from walking around, although if you move your hands upon the ground, say picking up a dropped screw, your static charge WILL stay with you until you touch something metal. Therefore, after doing anything that might have potentially caused you to pick up a static charge, ground yourself on an unpainted surface of the computer case before touching anything electronic. Static charge should always be kept on mind while installing in the components as it may severely damage the delicate parts of the computer."

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
I've built around 6 computers. For the last one I used the anti-static bracelet because I seem to get some serious shocks in my current apartment. Plus, it costs $5 and it beats constantly discharging myself by touching some bare metal (I always end up doing it a lot because I'm paranoid about shorting out something despite never having had it happen).

Reminds me of the static shock doorknob in Office Space.

Happy tenth anniversary Office Space!

Clover216

Reaction score
CPU: Intel Core i7 920- $289.99
Motherboard: ASUS P6T- $249.99
Memory: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600- $135.99
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB AALS- $79.99
Video Card: XFX GeForce GTX 260 Core 216- $249.99
Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 590- $59.99
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 750W- $99.99
DVD Burner: SAMSUNG Black SATA 22X DVD Burner - OEM - $24.99
Monitor: Acer Black 22"- $169.99
Keyboard: Microsoft Comfort Curve- $19.99
Mouse: Logitech MX518- $39.99
Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit for System Builders- $99.99
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme 1366 RT- $75

Came out to about $1600.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Touch the frame of the case to discharge any static before picking up your CPU chip. You'll be fine. Now seriously, what did you spend 1.7k on?
I don't think $1.7K is that bad. Couple gfx cards, Quad Core CPU, etc. It gets pricey fast. That said, I priced out a more-than-adequate gaming rig a few weeks ago for around $1.2K.

x26

Reaction score
Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit for System Builders- $99.99

Came out to about $1600.

Great choices!
smile.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Came out to about $1600.

I don't think $1.7K is that bad. Couple gfx cards, Quad Core CPU, etc. It gets pricey fast.

That said, I priced out a more-than-adequate gaming rig a few weeks ago for around $1.2K.

Sans monitor, I priced one out for $800.

Nice stuff Clover. There are far more expert people that me here, but consider upgrading to a smaller, solid state drive. Seek time ftw.

Clover216

Reaction score
Yeah, there is a couple of things I would like to upgrade on. A SSD would be nice, maybe add a second graphics card (or two), upgrade my monitor (maybe dual-display), and maybe some other stuff. The Core i7 should last me awhile, so I want to get the most out of this system as I can.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zeeandthelostboys