• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So... I made a tie.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Saltricks

Reaction score
After seeing this thread, I decided to give it a go myself. I bought some fabric from downtown LA, and I just took apart a cheap tie to study the construction.

Just about to start construction of the tie...wish me luck!

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quote:
After seeing this thread, I decided to give it a go myself. I bought some fabric from downtown LA, and I just took apart a cheap tie to study the construction.

Just about to start construction of the tie...wish me luck!

post your progress please, i and many others love the DIY threads

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Quote:

post your progress please, i and many others love the DIY threads
+ 100000 One of my favourite SF threads of all time is one posted by a guy making his own shoes. Please post it.

emptym

Reaction score
Great work on the ties. I like your tumbler too.

Saltricks

Reaction score
ok so I didn't take picture of the DIY process this first time through. I will definitely do it when I try again in a week or two. Here are some pics of the finished product, very low quality stitching, the tip is kinda wonky, lumpy etc IMO, but honestly I think I did pretty good for my first time touching a needle and thread in my life.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

ok so I didn't take picture of the DIY process this first time through. I will definitely do it when I try again in a week or two. Here are some pics of the finished product, very low quality stitching, the tip is kinda wonky, lumpy etc IMO, but honestly I think I did pretty good for my first time touching a needle and thread in my life.

Man, that looks like an awesome fabric! I think the handiwork looks pretty solid considering it's the first tie.

Saltricks

Reaction score
Some problems I ran into (any advice would be helpful for attempt 2):

I used a rotary cutter (a new blade) to cut the fabric but it was unbelievably hard to do so. Do you think this was because of a dull blade or the thickness of the material? I thought it would have cut much easier.

The tip got a bit bulky and blobby...any techniques for keeping the tip nice and pointy?

I don't think I'm sewing the tie up correctly, I can still somewhat see the stitches, and I don't think I'm supposed to.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I used a rotary cutter (a new blade) to cut the fabric but it was unbelievably hard to do so. Do you think this was because of a dull blade or the thickness of the material? I thought it would have cut much easier..

I never have any trouble cutting wool or cotton fabrics with my rotary. Sometimes it misses a few threads, but that's probably because I havn't changed the blade since I bought it.

What surface are you cutting on?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads