• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

benf

Reaction score
FWIW, I love how Paolo Scafora looks, but I cannot justify the spend when they do not come with shoe trees. I know that in the end it's about 10% of the price, but that is actually what bothers me at this price point: it feels a bit absurd that shoes of that level would not come with their trees to begin with. I take it as an insult. It makes me feel like I am being nickel & dimed, which I find unacceptable with that level of shoe.
Unfortunately this is the market norm although there’ll be exceptions. Even EG, JL and G&G do not include trees. Only JL top-line and StC include trees (lasted in the latter’s case) in the price but u effectively ‘pay’ for it anyway.

Trees is a popular topic of discussion and a lot of ppl do use generic trees in the EG and G&G.
I only have two GG (sold the one on TG73, too tight in same size as MH71, up size was too long, kept the MH71), I love them on picture, in person I thought they were striking at first, but now after while I can't say I found them as "special". Right now I got one shoe from Antonio Meccariello that has tighter waist (and pretty much everywhere) vs. GG and no worse finishing than GG (at least as far as I can tell). so yes GG has very striking last design, but I'm not sure they're as special as some think they're.
Since I first across SF and my interest in shoes, i’m in the fortunate position of having both EG (*2) and G&G (*5).
The latter and AM may have comparable levels of quality and finish, one is ‘Made in England’ and the other is Italy. On that basis alone, one’d expect to pay a premium for the former. Some of the premium can be quantified and somewhat justified (higher labour and land costs) whilst the rest is reputational (COG, marketing and aesthetic). Also I suspect the profit margin is somewhat higher for English brands whilst a lot of Italian and Spanish companies remain family owned.

In terms of EG v G&G, I prefer the latter for its aesthetic and finishing. By design, the latter’s last is relatively unforgiving and thus exclude some buyers. But I find their lasts and patterns less conservative looking and certainly more ‘striking’. The tight and beveled waist is something not available in the standard EG line. Also I find their standard colours (ie not patinated) richer than EGs.

leather2354

Reaction score
Actually both EG and GG use crust leather.
Hence, all colors except for black are painted.
However, I agree that gg's color is much more colorful and fascinating than ed's color.
Such as gg's pearl grey is richer than ed's cloud.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unfortunately this is the market norm although there’ll be exceptions. Even EG, JL and G&G do not include trees. Only JL top-line and StC include trees (lasted in the latter’s case) in the price but u effectively ‘pay’ for it anyway.

Trees is a popular topic of discussion and a lot of ppl do use generic trees in the EG and G&G.

Since I first across SF and my interest in shoes, i’m in the fortunate position of having both EG (*2) and G&G (*5).
The latter and AM may have comparable levels of quality and finish, one is ‘Made in England’ and the other is Italy. On that basis alone, one’d expect to pay a premium for the former. Some of the premium can be quantified and somewhat justified (higher labour and land costs) whilst the rest is reputational (COG, marketing and aesthetic). Also I suspect the profit margin is somewhat higher for English brands whilst a lot of Italian and Spanish companies remain family owned.

In terms of EG v G&G, I prefer the latter for its aesthetic and finishing. By design, the latter’s last is relatively unforgiving and thus exclude some buyers. But I find their lasts and patterns less conservative looking and certainly more ‘striking’. The tight and beveled waist is something not available in the standard EG line. Also I find their standard colours (ie not patinated) richer than EGs.

oh English shoes definitely carry premium, justifiable or not, think my point is I found GG less "special" now. 1/3 of my collections are still CJ (sold some, but kept most after wife's cleaning order :p), though I think I'll definitely increase my collection in AM.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh English shoes definitely carry premium, justifiable or not, think my point is I found GG less "special" now. 1/3 of my collections are still CJ (sold some, but kept most after wife's cleaning order :p), though I think I'll definitely increase my collection in AM.

AM is a maker I'd really like to get into. However, given my weird feet (narrow with high instep), I'll be sticking to St. Crispin's until I can get sized in person.

I really need to get to Sweden so I can get properly sized for Paolo Scafora. That's probably the major reason I haven't tried them out yet, or at least tried to get some kind of GMTO going.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yea, one of the thing with all these "relative" new maker is sizing (or new to me anyway, might have been around for ages), if you can't try in person really hard to commit on anything, especially GMTO where you can't return.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm I was hoping for a store wide Black Friday sale, but the boots I really want aren't within the sale. Seems more like a sale only for clearance/low stock items.

There's one there I eventually want, but it's not higher on my list than what I really want so I'm not sure I can go for it...

ruiantonio

Reaction score
Hmmm I was hoping for a store wide Black Friday sale, but the boots I really want aren't within the sale. Seems more like a sale only for clearance/low stock items.

There's one there I eventually want, but it's not higher on my list than what I really want so I'm not sure I can go for it...

I agree. This isn't black friday. It seems more like a clearance :(

fllick

Reaction score
@Leaves A long shot, but would I be able to order st crispin's in another size of the model on sale at the black friday price? Thanks!

UNOAIMX

Reaction score
Sale Selection is not bad, but still a bit underwhelming, hope the selection expands through the weekend and cyber monday

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads