• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All are lovely stevent & definitely digging kudu G&G & can't wait for my pair to come in.

The dover is the g.o.a.t.

Thanks!

Love them all, most versatile shoe ever.  Do you have any SC?. Demi chase from JMW is another must. Enjoy them!!

Only have a St. C wholecut, want to see Phillip again before ordering but haven't been able to make it to a trunk show.

Sorry if I missed this but what is the leather on the dark brown split toe? Thanks a lot

I believe that is G&G's English Grain.

Wearing my Brandy Willow Dovers today! Awesome shoe.  

Yes Brown English Grain

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the dudes who have experiences with Enzo, Carmina and Vass, can you compare and contrast the differences among the brands?
  1. How does Enzo differ from Carmina
  2. How does Enzo differ from Vass

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1. Better.
2. Different style totally. Enzo better QC though (unless you go through a retailer)

Last edited:

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For the dudes who have experiences with Enzo, Carmina and Vass, can you compare and contrast the differences among the brands?

It really comes down to your taste in lasts, styles, and shoe construction. All 3 brands are about the same in overall quality in my opinion. For sleekness I prefer Vass. For everyday wear I like Carmina. And Enzo is a good medium of both.

Skoaktiebolaget

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Skoaktiebolaget for the black Oxford is it possible at this point to add G width? I though I remembered that would be possible once the minimum threshold was reached at F width.
Please e-mail us at [email protected] for further assistance

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In my opinion EB, Vass, both are better than Carmina. And bang for the buck, as far as vass & EB goes both very good. At the end it comes down to personal preference for vass & EB both are excellent.

loxo

Reaction score

Speaking from my experience, I own 3 pairs of EB and 2 pairs of Carmina. I have a pair of Vass on order but can't speak in any great detail on them:

First of all, they're all great brands, and you really can't go wrong with any of them. In general terms the three brands are roughly equal. However, EB allows far more customization at a lower price. EB will also do nice little touches to shoes like a beveled waist and custom liners etc. EB offers hand-welted shoes and Carmina's are Goodyear-welted. I honestly don't know if there's a difference, but if there is- there you go. A lot of the choice between brands should probably come down to fit. Carmina's Rain last is the best fit on me of any shoe I've worn.

2 more random thoughts:

I would buy more Carmina but their US prices are not worth their product.

EB's shell is exquisite; better than any other shell cordovan I've handled (much less worn). I recently bought a pair of mahogany shell boots from a Bonafe GMTO and they're nicer than any other shell cordovan shoes I own, including Alden and Crockett & Jones.

[edited for spelling and grammar]

Last edited:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a handful of Carmina styles that I prefer straight-up to comparable offerings from Vass and Bonafe in terms of design. But there's no question that the latter two are a step up in quality. And the price gap isn't what it used to be (particularly for US buyers) so the value proposition for Carmina is difficult. And if we are talking MTO, the value proposition for Carmina simply does not exist, given the absurd 50% surcharge.

As between Vass and Bonafe, they are as close in terms of construction methods and value for dollar as two completely different companies in two completely different countries can get. Different aesthetics, but both have many appealing offerings and are willing to work to satisfy the customer's particular wishes in just about any combination of last, material and colours you could desire. Vass can be a bit more iffy when it comes to actually getting all those details right, however, which can be frustrating to say the least.

I own a bunch of shoes and boots from all three.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I own some from all 3, and I would put them all in the same bracket in terms of quality and finishing. I know handwelting is a superior construction, but in practical terms Carminas will last just as long, I'll bet, given similar usage and care. Especially considering how big most of our rotations are!

Since I have wide feet, my options for Bonafe and Carmina are limited. I have lasts 946, Rain, and Detroit in the extra wide sizes, and they all fit fairly well. But Vass offers every one of their lasts in 4 or 5 widths, and include free lasted trees, so those are big pluses, considering all 3 brands are close in price and offer similar quality leathers.

Can't go wrong with any of them! Go for the one that fits you best.

Please e-mail us at [email protected] for further assistance

Thanks! I'm in for this!! Looking forward to replacing my worn out black AEs.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'm definitely sold on Enzo!

Really appreciate the informative feedback.

ThunderMarch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'm definitely sold on Enzo!

Really appreciate the informative feedback.

Some of the gents here really gave pretty good feedback.

@RogerP 's answer I think was especially well balanced and also fairly representative of my own experience.

I do think, however, that it is very difficult comparing between makers that use entirely different construction methods (ie GYW of Carmina vs Handwelt of EB and Vass). There is undoubtedly tremendously more work (and cost) involved in making a pair of handwelted shoes, that ultimately translates into a better constructed pair of shoes (for sure). The processes and expertise needed are completely different.

But then again, when we are addressing people in Styleforum, who own 20/30 pairs of shoes.... The limits of durability that would distinguish a pair of handwelted shoes from GYWs, will probably never be challenged.... I say "durability", because other aspects that may affect overall "quality" of the shoes, like design aesthetics, finishing, uppers, soles, will not be affected by the method used for welting, or at least, not significantly so.

So at the end of the day, will you be able to readily FEEL or TELL the difference between a GYWs and handwelts? Maybe not, but you will KNOW the difference, in your heart.

That being said, especially since Carmina's prices have been steadily rising (esp for US customers), one can really appreciate how much value (unbelievably so), makers like Bonafe represent.

I've found EB's shoes to be exceedingly well made, with their strengths definitely being their more "rustic", "rugged" models and their boots. That being said, their dressier models are EXCELLENTas well. I find their Vitello range of leathers especially good. They feel terrifically supple and have a depth of colour I just can't put words on. I love them and will continue to buy and wear them. Their chain Norvegese stitching is also something else, really.

Vass represents fairly good value for money as well, though I won't go into great length about them on SkoaB's thread. The plus points include their ability to give you single MTOs, their JR soles and the lasted trees. However, similar to other's experience, I find their QC extremely "hit and miss", with sometimes (very) gross errors in design / specs requests. However, one balances this with the potential of getting a pretty good pair of shoes at a very reasonable price. In terms of value, I would still say Vass and EB stand on their own.

Last edited:

Pbayvip

Reaction score

This just landed in-store. Not bad for the goodbye wave to EG, what do you guys think?

azumi

Reaction score
May I ask why the price in the US store on the website is higher than international site's price when I browse the website from outside the EU?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElinaRaupi