• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Singapore - Tailors?

Nguyenning

Reaction score
I'll be in singapore from Feb 7 - 18th and plan on getting a suit made. Figured I'd give this post a little bit of a bump...

I've come across these suggestions from internet searches:
  • Iris
  • Dylan & Son
  • Maharajas
  • Justmens
  • Eurobest
  • Jacks Custom Tailor
  • Mohans Custom Tailors
  • A&P Custom Tailors
  • Mode & Creation

I plan on doing a bit more research on all of these. Iris will be on vacation when I'm there, so that's a bummer. I've heard a lot of good things about Anthony Tan at Mode & Creation... and it looks like Max at Mohan's advertises himself quite a lot online.

Anyone have any personal recommendations either on that list or not?

Yika

Reaction score

I'll be in singapore from Feb 7 - 18th and plan on getting a suit made. Figured I'd give this post a little bit of a bump...

I've come across these suggestions from internet searches:
  • Iris
  • Dylan & Son
  • Maharajas
  • Justmens
  • Eurobest
  • Jacks Custom Tailor
  • Mohans Custom Tailors
  • A&P Custom Tailors
  • Mode & Creation

I plan on doing a bit more research on all of these. Iris will be on vacation when I'm there, so that's a bummer. I've heard a lot of good things about Anthony Tan at Mode & Creation... and it looks like Max at Mohan's advertises himself quite a lot online.Β 

Anyone have any personal recommendations either on that list or not?

Stick with the 1st 2.

Dylan & Son default style drifts towards fashion forward. Iris towards classic with a modern touch.

pkiula

Reaction score
Having tried the top 3 in that list I'd say don't expect global quality. If the best shirt you have ever worn is M&S, then you'll be ok. If you have had the pleasure of a Barba or a Borrelli, then I recommend what someone else recommended above -- get a CT or Hawes & Curtis online and get if altered if needed.

alloy13

Reaction score

Having tried the top 3 in that list I'd say don't expect global quality. If the best shirt you have ever worn is M&S, then you'll be ok. If you have had the pleasure of a Barba or a Borrelli, then I recommend what someone else recommended above -- get a CT or Hawes & Curtis online and get if altered if needed.

For alteration of CT shirts, who is recommended in Singapore?

The point in bespoke is really the fit. In this case, material quality is dependent on the brand, fit depends on the alteration tailor.

pkiula

Reaction score

For alteration of CT shirts, who is recommended in Singapore?

The point in bespoke is really the fit. In this case, material quality is dependent on the brand, fit depends on the alteration tailor.

There are several who'll do a decent job. I recommend May on 4th floor in Lucky Plaza. Same side of Lucky Plaza as Iris Tailors is on Level 1, but up the escalator. The owner is a lady named May and she does the official alterations for Zegna, Dunhill, Canali, etc. Knows what she's doing. At alterations, Singapore tailors are pretty competent. I think the many folks at Far East Plaza (next to Hilton) will also be fine.

You're right fabric is important in bespoke. But full bespoke can quickly get pricey. Iris, or HCT in Katong shopping center, can easily quote upwards of 200 SGD for decent Thomas Mason standard fabric.

I buy online from UK/Italy brands because of their variety of patterns and fabrics. The finishing of CT, or Hawes & Curtis, or Hildich & Keys, and such, is pretty good. TM Lewin here is useless as they have blocked online shopping to prevent cannibalization of sales from the local Malay owners who make it sometimes 3 times the price in physical retail, but if you can figure out VPN and a UK address with VPost (Sing Post service), and therefore complete the entire purchase as if you were in UK, then it works; their "John Francomb" line is very slim and usually has fantastic designs (that link won't work from a regular Singapore connection, just FYI...yet it works flawlessly from my VPN connection.)

Personally, I find that the Italian makers -- Barba, Finamore, Borrelli etc -- to make far superior garments overall. For a lean tall body that works much better. The Brit shirts are much lighter on the pocket though, so my workhorse shirts for daily office rotation come from them. The recent Hawes & Curtis lines have a luxurious silken touch to them. The Brit body frame of reference seems much stockier and shorter to me than their Italian counterparts (not a scientific fact, just my observation) which is why alteration is needed at all. A Barba "Extra Slim" shirt fits me off the rack and it might you too.

Anyway, whichever brand you choose to buy: unless you're a very unusual shape, all you need to alter typically is the waist. A good tailor does this with the length of the spine anyway, so the shirt's overall drape gets tightened.

Hope this helps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads