• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Silk pockets squares

Walter

Reaction score
I always seem to have a hard time with my pocket squares. They look good for 15 minutes and then they "slip" inside the breast pocket and become invisible. I need to keep taking them out all the time.
Any recommendation to solve this problem?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Use the puff, but don't fold the points under-and-up. Just stuff the thing in the pocket with the points hanging down. They will sort of curl under, and the result should (might) be enough support to keep the puff showing.

There are other "twist and fold" methods that I use, but I'm not sure I could put them into words.

Walter

Reaction score
How do I keep a silk square from slipping up and protruding out too far? Drives me nuts.
I cant believe you are actually having that problem. Mine (no exception) slip inside the pocket.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sympathize. In the past, I had problems keeping a silk square from sinking into the pocket.

My experience is that getting the pocket square to sit properly in the breast pocket is more art than science. I've found that eventually the puff starts to creep outward while any sort of point fold migrates downward over time. My best results have been when I use an anarchic version of the reverse puff. But, because I don't fold or squeeze the portion of the square that sits in the pocket, I find it tends to fill the pocket up a bit better. It takes about three attempts before I get a satisfactory look.

Reaction score
I have a problem with slippage sometimes as well, depending on the jacket I'm wearing. I've found that sticking a kleenex into the bottom of the pocket does the trick.

boston

Reaction score
ummm

i am embarassed to admit this, but i actually put a small block of folded aluminum foil in the pocket before putting the square in. This raises the bottom of the pocket by about an inch, which keeps the square in place.

-boston

acole

Reaction score
i actually put a small block of folded aluminum foil in the pocket before putting the square in. This raises the bottom of the pocket by about an inch, which keeps the square in place.
...not to mention the vast improvement in FM reception.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Plus, it keeps FOX News out of your heart.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahhh... I sense the revival of this discussion
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads