• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Chan

Touching Cloth

Reaction score
For those of you that have gone through the traveling hotel measurement, how would you rate the fabric selection? Many? Varied? I've signed up for their upcoming tour and am looking forward to the experience.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For those of you that have gone through the traveling hotel measurement, how would you rate the fabric selection? Many? Varied? I've signed up for their upcoming tour and am looking forward to the experience.

Off the top of my head, I'd estimate they have the swatch books for somewhere between 50 and 70 suiting and jacketing collections. in addition, if you know the number of a cloth you want (from one of the fabric houses they deal with anyway), you can order that. For example, on the July 2010 tour, I wanted to get a blue Donegal tweed from the Porter & Harding Thornproof collection. They didn't have the Thornproof book with them, but since I knew the fabric number, they were able to give me a price on the spot, and I was able to go ahead and place my order.

I won't be seeing Chan on this tour, but I'd be interested to know what their current price is for a 2-piece suit from VBC Super 110. That seems to be about the low-end, price-wise, of the suitings they use...and a perfectly acceptable suiting if you want a 9-ounce worsted, I have found.

johanm

Reaction score
Pic of a new Chan suit jacket, just delivered:

lesser13_zpsd9048033.jpg

The pattern is the same as the suits I posted earlier in this thread, except I requested the waist be nipped about 1/2 inch on both sides. Also lost some weight but left the shoulder measurement intact, so this is an example of slight "extension" on completely unpadded shoulders. Fabric is Lesser 13 oz navy.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shirtsleeves look a little short.^^^

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pic of a new Chan suit jacket, just delivered:

lesser13_zpsd9048033.jpg

The pattern is the same as the suits I posted earlier in this thread, except I requested the waist be nipped about 1/2 inch on both sides. Also lost some weight but left the shoulder measurement intact, so this is an example of slight "extension" on completely unpadded shoulders. Fabric is Lesser 13 oz navy.

I trust that you specified that you wanted a jacket in the short, contemporary style and that this is not Chan's new default cut!

johanm

Reaction score

I trust that you specified that you wanted a jacket in the short, contemporary style and that this is not Chan's new default cut!

I definitely do prefer a short jacket but would note that the jacket covers ****** and I have long arms which may make it seem shorter in a photo. As for their default cut, my recent jackets have been done in what Patrick calls their "soft shoulders" house style, though I specified no shoulder padding.

Touching Cloth

Reaction score

I definitely do prefer a short jacket but would note that the jacket covers ****** and I have long arms which may make it seem shorter in a photo. As for their default cut, my recent jackets have been done in what Patrick calls their "soft shoulders" house style, though I specified no shoulder padding.

Very nice. I like and will be using as reference.
Separate question, does one normally attend these hotel fittings alone, or would it not be unusual to bring along a lady friend, for example, as a second set of eyes?

dan'l

Reaction score
Anyone have recent pictures of something double-breasted that WW Chan has made? I went through this thread (OK, just half of it) but only saw SB suits and sport coats.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score

Anyone have recent pictures of something double-breasted that WW Chan has made? I went through this thread (OK, just half of it) but only saw SB suits and sport coats.

Scroll through the blogs for the Armoury guys, Ethandesu and Alan See. They have lots of good pics of Chan DBs.

dan'l

Reaction score
Yes, I agree, though I was hoping for some "real world" pics of Chan DBs. The Armoury guys look perfect in almost every shot, plus they are local and have the opportunity of fine-tuning their patterns. I wonder how the DB stuff turns out when one has only one visit in HK or only deals with Chan when they are on tour.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Photography matters. Also, what you said about fine-tuning patterns + the benefit of undivided attention since they're Chan ambassadors. And besides, I'm not sure The Armoury guys are decked out in Chan stuff much these days.

Na, they still have lots of clothes made by WW Chan. It is their business allowance.

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out the latest 15 pages. Mostly Liverano and their Italian stuff. A couple of Chans, but these days, on their blog, their Italian suits dominate.

They probably still wear Chan, but if the pictures on their blog are anything to go by, it seems they wear less of Chan than their Italian stuff. But who knows.

http://thearmoury.tumblr.com/

Last edited:

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, I note that the quarters on your jacket end a couple of inches above your crotch. I have had Chan make me 17 jackets and six suits, starting with their November 2004 tour and most recently after their July 2012 tour, and on all of these the quarters ended several inches (about 3 or 4) below my crotch. I realize that the cut of your jacket is more in line with current fashions and am just wondering whether you specified a shorter jacket or this is going to be Chan's standard tailoring for the present.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads