• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross-post from WAYWT:

Sunny Saturday:

EG x2, Converse

First outing for the overalls, probably needs cooler weather and more layers

EG SS15 overalls, EG SS14 T

lawlercon

Reaction score
@MOK that is really dope. I've been trying to find a pair of those overalls... Want to use them in the garden.

eluther

Reaction score

I'm sorry but you look like a small child or a 90s lesbian.

What the hell does "looking like a lesbian" even mean? You're making an implicit statement here that "looking like a lesbian" is somehow pejorative which is doubly problematic:
1) Lesbians don't look a particular way. You're limiting the range of possible experiessions of a group of people you don't belong to by dictating what they can or can't do. That's textbook homophobia and I think you should spend some critical time evaluating your feelings toward groups of people who aren't cis-hetero white men.
2) Let's say MoK does want to look "like a lesbian." Good for him. The buck stops there. We're here to talk about clothes. If you don't like the clothes, talk about them. Trying to ridicule someone for a choice they make counter to your expectations of the role they should fulfill is maddeningly myopic.

For the sake of your edification, saying "Not a fan of the overalls/t shirt combo" or even adding "it reminds me of something children wear" - A-OK. As soon as you start drawing comparisons to marginalized groups as a means of expressing your dislike, you expose your own latent beliefs. That kind of thinking is a real problem and I hope this is a catalyst for you to take some stock in the way you process things, understand the world, and treat others.

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you're telling me what to say. I'll make sure to consult you for any future posts.

SirMeowly

Reaction score
Think the overalls look dope @ManofKent. Farm vibes (to me, at least, that's a good thing).

Would echo @eluther and just say it would be lovely if the rhetoric here stayed kind and constructive.

metalleka

Reaction score
What the hell does "looking like a lesbian" even mean? You're making an implicit statement here that "looking like a lesbian" is somehow pejorative which is doubly problematic:
1) Lesbians don't look a particular way. You're limiting the range of possible experiessions of a group of people you don't belong to by dictating what they can or can't do. That's textbook homophobia and I think you should spend some critical time evaluating your feelings toward groups of people who aren't cis-hetero white men.
2) Let's say MoK does want to look "like a lesbian." Good for him. The buck stops there. We're here to talk about clothes. If you don't like the clothes, talk about them. Trying to ridicule someone for a choice they make counter to your expectations of the role they should fulfill is maddeningly myopic.

For the sake of your edification, saying "Not a fan of the overalls/t shirt combo" or even adding "it reminds me of something children wear" - A-OK. As soon as you start drawing comparisons to marginalized groups as a means of expressing your dislike, you expose your own latent beliefs. That kind of thinking is a real problem and I hope this is a catalyst for you to take some stock in the way you process things, understand the world, and treat others.

**** yes, this post made my day. And MOK, your fit is awesome as always. The 90's vibe is very prevalent, if you did a center part it would've been a throwback fit for the ages.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't expect the fit to cause much controversy...

I think the overalls will look better with layers and probably a shirt, Oddly I think adding a hat would have improved the fit.

mbaum

Reaction score
Is this what lesbians look like? I am not sure because I only see a loving American couple
#LoveWins

@ManofKent , yes, it has potential for more layering, but, honestly, this looks like a perfect summer fit as is.

eluther

Reaction score

I'm glad you're telling me what to say. I'll make sure to consult you for any future posts.

I'm telling you the way you addressed MoK was homophobic. You're within your right to say as many homophobic things as you'd like, and I'm free to apply social pressure to you to either not speak like that or to adjust your perceptions of other people.

@HelloFello - Casual, off-handed homophobia deserves the attention it calls to itself. If the forum would like people like me to spend less time discussing the offensive rhetoric of its users, it's very free to simply avoid using problematic language and keep its prejudice to itself.

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
I'm telling you the way you addressed MoK was homophobic. You're within your right to say as many homophobic things as you'd like, and I'm free to apply social pressure to you to either not speak like that or to adjust your perceptions of other people.

@HelloFello - Casual, off-handed homophobia deserves the attention it calls to itself. If the forum would like people like me to spend less time discussing the offensive rhetoric of its users, it's very free to simply avoid using problematic language and keep its prejudice to itself.
Hyper sensitive liberalism at its finest. The comment was simply revolved around a particular group of people's means of dressing. There were zero judgments regarding their lifestyle (apart from style of dress), values, or morals. You're reading far too much in to an off hand critique of someones clothing choice. Just because someone says something that is not 100% positive regarding a particular group of people does not make them bigoted or in this case 'homophobic'.

ramdomthought

Reaction score
This conversation as a whole stinks for this thread

here's a ss14 baker, ss13 striped 19thct button down, some season desert pant (with neat little pocket on the beltloop), and some yoox shoes

eluther

Reaction score
@BlakeRVA - Telling someone they "look like a lesbian" to deride them conflates your perception of the group's appearance with your judgment of them. That's one issue, which is - denotatively - homophobic. The other issue is that there is no one way to look like a lesbian, nor does dressing in any particular way denote that you are a lesbian. Literally not how things work.

HelloFello

Reaction score
Hey didn't you quit EG cold turkey? What are you doing here besides being the self - nominated mod of this thread lol?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads