• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I?

paul6001

Reaction score
I'm going to a wedding in Napa Valley in November. "Country chic" or some such nonsense. I like to think that I'm a tough guy but the stripes and the plaid give me pause. Although the process of taking and posting these pictures has made me more confident. Still, it's bold. I don't think that there's any question but that it's bold. Whaddya think?

Attachments

• Napa1.jpg
    Napa1.jpg
    432.5 KB · Views: 92
  • Napa2.jpg
    Napa2.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 94

paul6001

Reaction score
"Not the worst thing in the world" is not much of a star to hitch my wagon to. I tried solid, I tried a thinner stripe. They were fine. But I'm trying to go big. I'm swinging for the fences. So it's either a homer or a strikeout. I think I struck out with you.

paul6001

Reaction score
That jacket is a bespoke Attolini sold by Domenico Vacca. How much do you think that cost? (I got it from therealreal for $125.)

paul6001

Reaction score
The site is editing me. I am writing clothes followed by a four letter word that starts with "P" and ends with "N," The site keeps changing it to clothes appreciation. Two very different things. And some creepy, Big Brother-ish editing.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The jacket's sleeve needs to be lengthened. The jacket itself may also be too long for you but it's hard to tell from this photo.

Change the jeans out for tan trousers. Either made from cotton or wool.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a nope from me sorry, too much going on, It might be better with dark jeans and brown boots and maybe a Navy shirt or even a knit under the jacket!!!!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's a solid strikeout!

Ditch the jeans. The sleeve(s) on that jacket look to short. Ditch the shirt for a solid.

Going "big" doesn't mean what you have in mind.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, if the sleeves can't be lengthened, it's time to start over from scratch.
If they can, start with the jacket and ditch everything else in that pic...

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pure cashmere, I should add.
That jacket is a bespoke Attolini sold by Domenico Vacca. How much do you think that cost? (I got it from therealreal for $125.)

Cashmere/bespoke Attolini really doesn't matter if the fit is off.

The fit is off.....I should add.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always love how people brag about buying used bespoke. First of all, you’re wearing someone else’s clothing. If you’re broke and down on your luck, I get it, though it begs the question; what do I need with it. Otherwise it’s straight up “Gangnam style”.

second, it was bespoke for someone else. Not for you. The whole point of bespoke is out the window when you’re wearing someone else’s clothes.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would not describe that jacket as "bespoke" as it was not made for you.

paul6001

Reaction score
—The shirt and the jacket are from "entirely different worlds?" Sorry, don't know what that means. Please explain.

—Wearing something distracting is/was a concern. But Sam and Hilary will love it.

—The sleeves are Neapolitan length. Cut well above the wrist. Check an Attolini catalogue for confirmation. Plus, I don't think that I had everything straightened out. I was solely focused on the stripes/plaid issue, not the general look. Something to keep in mind for future pictures. But I think this will be my first and last post.

—I know that the meaning of the term "bespoke" is a matter of great dispute on this forum. I was only interested in the price for, as someone said above, "prurient interests." (In my crowd, spending perhaps $7,000 on a sport coat is certainly prurient. Lots of other adjectives, too.) And to figure out the price, a person would have to know that, at one time, anyway, it was bespoke.

—The failure to spend $7,000 on a sports jacket means that I'm "broke and down on [my] luck?" Strange perspective.

—I'm going to stick with jeans. Tan pants would, I think, not be good. Those aren't the perfect jeans for the outfit but they did happen to be on my bedroom floor when I took the picture so those were the ones I wore. As I said, I wasn't thinking about the pants, just the stripes/plaid issue.

—Sleeves a little short, watch over the cuff. Yes, I guess "weird" is one way to describe that. Another is style, which necessarily is set apart from the mainstream. I see pictures of Agnelli and it does look a little weird. Yet, here we are talking it about it 75 years later. That's style.

—So absolutely no one had absolutely nothing good to say about any part of this idea? Or the individual pieces involved? (Brioni, Attolini.) Wow, my taste in clothes must have plummeted. Unless there's something else at work here. I don't do much social media. I did, however, have a question about my stereo, so I made a first time post on Audiogon. They tore me to pieces. Maybe I'm sensing a trend, one that is the opposite of my experience. I was taught to welcome strangers, to go out of my way to make them comfortable. But my parents are from the pre-internet era.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rojarnita