• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I wear suits for college?

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You claim to wear suits "...like they are a second skin.", but this whole thing appears terribly contrived. It brings to mind the adage, "clothes do not make the man, but when he is made, they greatly improve his appearance." Perhaps you should place more effort in making something of yourself and less on what your are wearing to your classes.

Don't be so presumptious- you have no right to assume he isn't placing enough effort in what is important! He can do what he wants and if he takes pride in wearing suits, why should he not?

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OP, I'm probably wealthier than you. 

But I never wore suits every day when I was sixteen. 

Do you even chase women? 

A noteworthy point to make however, is my friend, who is personally worth 100 mil +, wears polos and jeans to graduate school. 

He's also better than you. Peasant. 

Unbelievable! You're flaunting your wealth here and also calling someone a peasant? That is horrendous behaviour I can't believe someone would say such a thing.

Allen

Reaction score

For that matter, since when are Brits familiar with the American show "Suits"? My troll-dar is going off...

There is such a thing as internet. In fact, you might be using it right now without being aware of it.
I'm not american either and I'm familiar with the show.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The OP should turn this post to something relevant to SF. He has adequately confirmed that he is arrogant and has little understanding of relationships etc but how about telling us of what he knows of bespoke tailoring.

So full description of the Charlie Allan suits, cloth, colours, style details right down to pockets in the trousers and coats. He might even post photographs to see what he really understands about clothing and demonstrate the thought process he has followed.

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
Unbelievable! You're flaunting your wealth here and also calling someone a peasant? That is horrendous behaviour I can't believe someone would say such a thing.

If you couldn't interpret the extreme tongue in cheek nature of my comment, you'll never make it as a talent agent.

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must admit, I originally started wearing suits because I had to keep my father's reputation. But now I have a grown to appreciate fine suits. Regardless of whether my dad is a billionaire or homeless, the one thing I hope wouldn't change would be my suits. Maybe I phrase the OP wrong. Maybe I should have said "I WILL be wearing suits to college, could you guys give me some advise as to what people might think"

Thank you

Here's my experience with private school - people will either think you're a ****, or they'll not bat an eyelid. That's going to be based on your personality, not the way you dress. Schools like that are full of rich kids, so you won't be anything special. Learn to stand on something more than blatant displays of your wealth and hopefully you'll do okay.

Since when does a Brit use the word "college"? You're attending university. You'd only say "college" if you, say, attended Hertford College at the University of Oxford, but in general parlance outside of university you'd rarely, if ever, use the term.

For that matter, since when are Brits familiar with the American show "Suits"? My troll-dar is going off...

College is pretty common in the UK, it refers pretty specifically to either sixth form, or to places you can get vocational diplomas like a BTEC or GNVQ.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you couldn't interpret the extreme tongue in cheek nature of my comment, you'll never make it as a talent agent. 

Likewise, pink haired man.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's OK. we've all been there. Despite what Robert Downey Junior says, I still managed to become the top agent in hollywood. :foo:

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
It's OK. we've all been there. Despite what Robert Downey Junior says, I still managed to become the top agent in hollywood.
foo.gif

Good thing my marsupialation didn't cost me a MTO Forest Green Hermes deerskin breast wallet
foo.gif

erpet

Reaction score
If OP is as wealthy as he claims, he can wear whatever he wants and his school mates will love him anyway.

Last edited:

ylkim30

Reaction score
I know I shouldn't be reading this thread, but I can't help myself.

Bravo Harvey Spector! You get TOTW!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads