• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I replace my navy Jos A Bank with something better or add to my collection?

starsfan18

Reaction score
I have a solid navy 2 button Jos A Bank suit (yes, I know
plain.gif
) that I'd like to replace eventually. Gilt has some Hickey Freeman (mainline as far as I can tell) solid navy suits in my size. Right now, I have two suits - the Jos A Bank navy, and a HF 2 button in a solid dark gray (wouldn't quite call it charcoal) that I purchased from Gilt. Neiman Marcus Last Call near me also has some HF suits in my size in various colors and styles.

My question is, should I buy a solid navy HF replace the JAB, or should I purchase something different, like a navy or gray pinstripe and wait for my Jos A Bank to wear out? I don't wear a suit often except for 3-4 times a year for business and the odd funeral.

An Ex Parrot

Reaction score
I guess it depends on what your purpose is in buying the suit. If the blue JAB looks bad, then by all means replace it with a better looking blue HF. Or, if your principal goal is to upgrade your suit collection, then replacing the JAB with the HF would be a good step in that direction.

But if the JAB looks fine, I think you should keep it.

You only wear a suit 3-4 times a year, and you already have 2 suits. So, each gets worn about 2x per year. That's pretty light wear. Apart from the cut and fit of a better suit, one thing you're buying with an HF is a suit that should wear better over time through repeated dry cleaning. If you only wear it a couple times a year, you shouldn't have endurance problems with the JAB.

A couple thoughts:

1. If you really don't intend to wear a suit more than handful of times a year, your clothing budget may be better spent on good trousers or a sport coat or shoes than another suit. (Obviously, you know your budget and wardrobe needs better than I, so take this for what it's worth.)

2. If you are going to get a suit, think about where you will wear it. A grey pinstripe, for example is great, but it's a standard business suit. And your navy and grey suits are already perfect for business wear. So, if you're not principally going to wear the new suit for business (or, if your business isn't banking or law or such, where blue and grey are practically de rigeur), you may want to look at a brown suit or a glen plaid--something to broaden your wardrobe beyond the standard "business suit" look. (Also, I note that you live in SA. Personally, I've always felt a bit out of place in a dark blue or grey suit when I go there on business. YMMV.)

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Best of luck.

AEP

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you wear a suit so infrequently, an upgrade or new suit makes little sense. Use the money for something else, like a sport coat, blazer, etc ...

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by starsfan18
I don't wear a suit often except for 3-4 times a year for business and the odd funeral.
Upgrade.

bslo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by starsfan18
I Right now, I have two suits - the Jos A Bank navy, and a HF 2 button in a solid dark gray (wouldn't quite call it charcoal) that I purchased from Gilt.

I don't wear a suit often except for 3-4 times a year for business and the odd funeral.

It doesn't seem as though you need a new suit, unless you're going to start wearing them more often.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For IT consulting business functions and funerals, it's probably fine. Assuming it fits well and goes well with the body type.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads