• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All you need is love...

D9FD938C-74DE-4096-B5CB-5DCB471DBA75.jpeg

Quesjac

Reaction score
I'm in the typical conundrum coming from tailoring to more casual stuff and trying to diversify my outerwear (without totally diverging from a wardrobe that's mostly chinos, linen, and flannel trousers, and fairly soft Italian jackets).

I think a chocolate suede Valstarino might be an option in the long run but also wondering about this Suit Supply overshirt, 100% wool:

H5832_1.jpg
But happy to be persuaded elsewhere. I like the look of the Drake's linen overshirts for the summer too.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm in the typical conundrum coming from tailoring to more casual stuff and trying to diversify my outerwear (without totally diverging from a wardrobe that's mostly chinos, linen, and flannel trousers, and fairly soft Italian jackets).

I think a chocolate suede Valstarino might be an option in the long run but also wondering about this Suit Supply overshirt, 100% wool:

H5832_1.jpg
But happy to be persuaded elsewhere. I like the look of the Drake's linen overshirts for the summer too.

I think shirt jackets can be ok, but I don't particularly care for them in that CM-y, tailored menswear way. It just ends up looking like a guy who's mostly in suits and sport coats is trying to dress down, but in this kinda stiff, not totally convincing way.

A CPO shirt is basically like a shirt jacket and can be worn with jeans. Same with a chamois shirt layered over a t-shirt, I think. Or a really wide, camp collar shirt with looser trousers. They just feel like they make more of an aesthetic statement (and actually look relaxed).

For trousers, I think Barbour and Valstarino are good options. Looser safari jackets can also work (nothing too tailored).

Personally, I think casualwear is better on the SWD side of the board than CM, but realize this doesn't fit everyone's personality or lifestyle.

Quesjac

Reaction score
Personally, I think casualwear is better on the SWD side of the board than CM, but realize this doesn't fit everyone's personality or lifestyle.
This seems right to me --- I guess I'm asking for ideas of casual pieces which can play on both sides of the line. Thanks for the suggestions.

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
286569M00878_M00878_2.jpg

Needles x Doc Martens

Update (since these are on sale right now at both End and Needsupply): I ordered these and I'm sending em back. They'll look great if you're all about that semi-dorky Engineered Garments vibe, but that ain't for me...they've got the tough docs DNA but they're decidedly more kitschy on foot.

And the suede was a little disappointing. Floppy, didn't feel very tough. I'm sure it would be fine in the long run, but they weren't satisfying to hold or wear. I've found a lot of Doc MIE leathers have been not the greatest.

FYI on sizing, I'm an 8.5D, got these in a 7UK, and I could make em work. I'd say TTS or half size down will do.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads