• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for sneakers that I can replace with my boots in more casual and relaxed situations.

Are there any recommendations for sneakers that you can use and continue to look good, for example with jeans, and a layered barbour coat or even a duffle coat?

the same style as these

2839585_2.jpg

thank you

I didn't know Papa Johns made sneakers

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really don’t see anything updated about the one you posted. It looks like a BDU you could find in any surplus shop for the last 30 or so odd years.
I’m pretty partial to Australian “jellybean” camo or British DPM myself.
View attachment 1096466 View attachment 1096467

I actually have that Orslow jacket I posted but in plain olive ripstop. That's the "classic" version of the Orslow jacket and has been around for years. It's a great jacket. Very nice cut, great materials and construction.

imgrc0091495907.jpg

But to some people I guess that this jacket also carries "aggressive douche" bagage. I respect that but disagree. To me it all depends on what you're wearing with it and your overall way of being. Ymmv of course.

I haven't handled those surplus jackets myself, since they aren't readily available here in Sweden. I like the Bristish one you posted, except for the use of a zipper, the velcro at the cuffs and the exposed buttons.

Anyway, thanks for chiming in!

Last edited:

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plain army jackets have quite a different vibe to me, and seem much more versatile than camo.

They are more versatile, yes. This would be more lika a "fun piece". An addition. Together with an ocbd, t-shirt or henley, dark to mid blue jeans and cp/gats or Vibergs.

Anyway, "smaken är som baken" as we say.

Alexidb

Reaction score
B478DB80-1062-4DA7-AD55-FA3E173EEE96.jpeg

150 Kronar shipped.
https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/british-cs95-field-shirt-dpm-surplus/1458

Should be cheap enough to order just to check out. There’s a parka version of the above also, it’s more of a field coat then a proper parka.

The “classic” jacket you’ve posted is pretty close to a early Vietnam style US shirt/jacket.

I actually have that Orslow jacket I posted but in plain olive ripstop. That's the "classic" version of the Orslow jacket and has been around for years. It's a great jacket. Very nice cut, great materials and construction.

imgrc0091495907.jpg

But to some people I guess that this jacket also carries "aggressive douche" bagage. I respect that but disagree. To me it all depends on what you're wearing with it and your overall way of being. Ymmv of course.

I haven't handled those surplus jackets myself, since they aren't readily available here in Sweden. I like the Bristish one you posted, except for the use of a zipper, the velcro at the cuffs and the exposed buttons.

Anyway, thanks for chiming in!

MaiLam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, toss up at the moment between them and these from Officine creative. Trying to branch out from boots but big feet + slim legs have me looking for a lower profile shoe

013DFC3E-DA8F-4047-AC4E-BB734C1CCCAD.jpeg
A1BFAA6F-8056-459A-A3F4-3BE060903015.jpeg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks, toss up at the moment between them and these from Officine creative. Trying to branch out from boots but big feet + slim legs have me looking for a lower profile shoe

Personally like the first pair better, but only because I have a deep seated prejudice against wholecuts and those are a bit wholecut-y.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads