• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

andrewgreg

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Black 100% cotton

Blue 57% Cotton 43% Ramie textured material

InHocSignio

Reaction score
$200 for all white leather Marc Jacob sneakers. Should or should not? How's the quality compare to Common Projects?

FWIW, I have the grey on white model of these, which I got for a good price off Gilt. Unfortunately, a scuff on the captoe has developed into a rather ugly blister that doesn't wipe when I try to clean it, and looking closely I see tell-tale signs of a weaker leather in that area. I also feel like the insole isn't as high quality as my CP lows; it's leather, but they shift around barefoot and aren't attached to the body of the shoe like CPs, which I prefer. Still, I rather like the look of the shoes, especially the combination of the gold eyelets and the grey, but I won't be purchasing other Marc Jacobs sneakers based on my experiences with these sneakers, unless I really, really like the look.

Ugly scuff.

Last edited:

thewho13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ding ding ding. All my WM shirts are like this. Short body, boxy chest/waist, slim arms and narrow shoulders. I like the fit though, it's different from what I normally wear and looks great with a longer soft tee under it (like in a lot of waywts lately). It is definitely a weird-ish fit since it's not really what most people are used to I guess. It's slim and boxy at the same time, but it doesn't billow which is why it can still look good.

That said, I have that shirt in a different color (same pattern but lavender instead of white) and it's one of my favorite shirts.

I feel like the Made & Crafted shirt I own has a similar cut to it: high armholes, not so fitted throughout the midsection, but nothing really billows out of control 90s office-style.

Hm, maybe I'll tuck that shirt away once I've weighed the other things I'm considering for this season.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I. So are Dana Lee chinos reasonably slim and worth the cost, or will they make me look like a big fat square, and maybe I should just get some cheaper brand that looks the same on a computer screen?

II. Cotton anoraks -- does it have to be raining?

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should I keep this Barena? It's a great piece, just a little big. I like it slouchy but not sure if it's too much. Sorry for the poor styling. I'll almost always have it unbuttoned. Kind of like it the way it is, but every store has it modeled slimmer so I think a size down might be better.

Totakeke

Reaction score

Should I keep this Barena? It's a great piece, just a little big. I like it slouchy but not sure if it's too much. Sorry for the poor styling. I'll almost always have it unbuttoned. Kind of like it the way it is, but every store has it modeled slimmer so I think a size down might be better.

Yeah, the Barena looks pretty similar to my fit pics. Heh. Same concerns as you had, the general advice appears to not size down. Still not sure to keep or not. It looks nice/interesting, but can't really think of occasions I'd wear it.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/164402/...ll-quick-questions-here/12850_50#post_6481040

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, the Barena looks pretty similar to my fit pics. Heh. Same concerns as you had, the general advice appears to not size down. Still not sure to keep or not. It looks nice/interesting, but can't really think of occasions I'd wear it.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/164402/...ll-quick-questions-here/12850_50#post_6481040

Haha. Well I think it looks fine on you, and maybe better than me. You fill out the midsection a little more (no offense.) I think you got the right size, and it's just a matter of deciding if you want that slouchy look in your wardrobe. It's really casual and needs to be styled properly. I think the clothes I'm wearing in my pics are terrible for it and I have a good wardrobe to make it look decent. On the other hand, I think I could definitely size down without it looking tight. The Tres Bien pics are a mystery to me. I am the same size as their model in almost everything, and he sizes up on Barena and still makes it look too tight. I didn't size up and mine is huge. It's a mystery how that's possible. Still interested in other opinions if anyone has one. Sizing down is a near impossibility since it's not available anywhere except one place for 2.5x what I paid.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

II. Cotton anoraks -- does it have to be raining?

More specifically, should I or shouldn't I, plus an additional question: It's cotton. Can you wear this like a hoody, or is it strictly for rain or ****** weather? Maybe a dumb question, but there's just no rain here. Thanks.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads