• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shopping at Aldi

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many of you shop for groceries here?

I'm a fairly recent convert. I don't buy everything there, but at this point in time I don't really buy very many groceries anyways. I've found the quality of the products to be very high. I think the no frills approach is kind of cool. I haven't looked around enough at their fresh produce as much as I would like to, though.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to (food's food), but there aren't any stores around here.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One just opened literally across the road from me. I like it for a basic bulk shop.

The staff efficiency model is a bit extreme, stacking shelves, tills etc. all done by the same staff, but they certainly are keen.

Tarzan

Reaction score
I shop at Lidl and Aldi all the time. They are the best choice here, mostly because the other chains have unreasonably high prices. It's hard though to stay away from the "candy" corridor
devil.gif

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're opening an Aldi near me. I'd much rather have a Trader Joe's.

Quatsch

Reaction score
I just went to the Aldi here because I'd been told you could find red currant jam there. Its a shame they don't carry more German products. Maybe this is just a ghetto Aldi in my town of ~40,000, but I don't see how it could compare to trader joe's at all.

emptym

Reaction score
Are the US stores a lot like the German ones? Same company?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Aldi owns Trader Joes.
I'm pretty sure this is not technically true (I know someone who is an exec for Aldi). The CEOs of Aldi and Trader Joes are brothers... but it is not the same company.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been, but frankly I prefer to pay just a little more to shop in a more inviting environment with more products I'd be apt to buy.

Quatsch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
Are the US stores a lot like the German ones? Same company?

I never actually went in an Aldi in Germany, and I can't really remember ever having seen one there - I guess they weren't popular in the part of the country I lived in - but its basically the layout of the store thats most similar. Entrance, store winds around to the gated exit system, the frozen stuff is the last thing before the checkout, etc.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never actually been in a Trader Joe's, but we have one about 25 mins from where I live. I kind of want to swing by just to check it out. We have a whole foods as well. I've never been to the one here but I did go to the one in downtown Manhattan when I was in NYC.

I haven't bought much at Aldi, but I'd like to shop there more when I am actually using more groceries.

I read somewhere that something like 80% of the people in Germany shop at Aldi.

We've also got several Asian supermarkets (Super H Mart) that are huge as well as several internation farmers markets where you can get all sorts of awesome stuff. One had like 300-400 varieties of ramen.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quatsch
I never actually went in an Aldi in Germany, and I can't really remember ever having seen one there - I guess they weren't popular in the part of the country I lived in - but its basically the layout of the store thats most similar. Entrance, store winds around to the gated exit system, the frozen stuff is the last thing before the checkout, etc.
Interesting. Thanks. I think I still have some athletic socks I bought there 10 yrs ago.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kingjames771